Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UC question

UC question

Started a joint claim about 3 months ago but as i didn't have the right Id the claim was closed finally i have some ID so can the old claim be reopened or do i have to do it all over. as im worried about getting back payment if i have to start a whole new claim.

I started a new one
    Last edited by davy; 06-05-22 at 15:35.

If the initial claim was closed / refused then your claim will start with the second claim. As to what records they would have on the first one being incomplete I think they should not have anything.

If the ID had been submitted and approved for the first attempt it would be active for 6 months. And would have a claim reference number

"Your Universal Credit online account remains open for 6 months after your claim ends. If you claim within six months of your previous claim ending, you can log in to your Universal Credit online account to claim again. You will need to confirm that the details in your account are correct"

The DWP "Closing" a UC claim is an odd situation that appears not to be legal, (except in certain cases), but they seem to be saying it a lot recently anyway.
    And they will close your UC account so you can no longer access it. (There are ways around that with a Subject Access Request but like most things a SAR takes time).

In legal terms they have made a decision on your UC claim and 'refused' a claim, which is something that you have a right to appeal against but they are not telling you that.

The big welfare organisations are on the case about this "closed claim" fiction and it will probably end up in court, but if it goes that far then think at least a year or longer to get there and then even longer for a ruling, and then appeal, and then ..... - you get the idea.

So the practical advice is to continue with the new claim, (there will be no backdating, UC can only be backdated for a month at most andd only in certain situations, this is not one of them).
    Maybe talk to a benefit/welfare advice organisation about what they DWP have said to you.

Keep any letters/messages that you have.
    (If you can still get to your old UC journal before they "closed" the claim then download/screenshot everything there, it quicker that waiting for a SAR although a SAR can tell you more that just what was put on the journal).
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-05-22 at 19:22.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The very first call i had i did tell them i don't have the ID needed and cannot leave the house so said it is not worth carrying on they said yes to a home visit. then said no to it. I said i would get a provisional driving licence as proof they said ok but then closed the claim saying i didn't turn up to the appoitment that had already been cancled. I did phone but they didn't care.

So your first attempt online once you reached the part about providing ID you phoned them to say that you did not have anything that was valid, then gave up with the claim unsubmitted. Apart from your calls I doubt they'll have a record of an attempted incomplete claim. Its a bit like getting a form in the post and then not returning it. As for proof of ID If you have no photo ID, a copy of your original Birth Certificate or National Insurance Card will be accepted and bank cards I know people that have also taken council tax letters, bank cards blue badges. But have it all available then its all you can do.

The original claim must still be working somehow, as once filled in it didn't ask for my partner's ID this time. So it must still be on record. Also i didn't have to set up passwords again
    I got my call today about proving my ID (here we go again) but no they asked me diffrent things to prove who i was and they said thats all good your ID is now verified.
    And did i want a advance in payment.

So i don't know if that was done just because of me or is it something new they are doing.
    ----------------------------------------
    TimeLord The only ID i had was not really good enough but if i attended the JC it would of been fine. but because of mental health issues also being a danger to people that didnt happen.

Who told you that your claim had been 'closed'.

It looks that your UC account was still open and not closed at all, that's why you didn't need new passwords.

Now that the ID had been duly verified the the claim is done and things can continue.

It was closed as could not look at anything. But when doing it again some things were still filled out. i was just thinking it was put on record. But now you say it some part must have still been open. Might help in getting it backdated.

cannot remember who it was on the phone saying it had closed. but never had a letter saying it.

Mmm, I think they just meant 'suspended', or 'on hold', or maybe even 'the computer system is closed for maintenance/updates' rather than your claim being actually closed?

Difficult to say really what they meant, but obviously your claim hadn't been 'closed' because you've now completed it.