Thread: Supermarket delivery

Supermarket delivery

The topic of receiving supermarket deliveries was mentioned recently. This is a few things that I do to make things as easy as possible.

In the delivery instructions of the order, I add that I may need help with packing the groceries and with a little bit of detail about what I find difficult.

I ask for two empty crates to put the filled crates on, that are placed beside a garden bench with shopping bags. This makes it a lot easier just to transfer the stuff across into the bags.

For the heavy items, such as the 8 kg multipacks of water, I recently started asking the driver to place them on the floor just inside the doorway. The drivers have been happy to do that, and it make things a lot easier.

Recently the drivers have offered to bring the whole shopping into the house. I don't know if the rules have been changed or that they are just being extra helpful, but so far I've stuck with packing it outside.

I check the fresh fruit and veg for short dates and damage as I'm packing it. Bananas are more likely to be bruised. I check everything against a list on a smartphone, the products list from the email confirmation copied into Google Keep, because it's easy to read and scroll through. I found I have to say to the driver that I'm checking the shopping against a list, that it won't take long, otherwise they will likely get agitated.

I've been using Sainsbury's for the last 9 months. The drivers have generally been pleasant and helpful. If there is a problem around organising the delivery, it's generally because the driver seems new to the job.

So far I've only had one missing item. On two occasions they were late, and there was no acknowledgement or apology from the drivers. I got a refund of the delivery charge (£4) when they were 18 minutes late, but no refund when the delivery was 10 minutes late. Just on those figures, I'm guessing there's no refund of up to 15 minutes.

If I've missed anything during delivery, I'll contact them later using Twitter with a Direct Message.

My last delivery was the one that was late by 10 minutes. Waiting around for the delivery to arrive is the hardest part of dealing with a supermarket delivery for me. I thought of switching supermarkets, but found Asda still only do 2 hour delivery slots, so that's a no go for me. I already switched from using Tesco to Sainsbury's.

I've been using online supermarkets for many years, probably around the 10 year mark. Everything was great when you were allowed to use plastic bags. You just hooked them out the trays & put them inside your door.

Then because of the fishes sleeping with plastic we can't use plastic bags anymore. Even if disabled (I've tried)

The nightmare started. The drivers would not unpack the food from the trays but would carry the trays inside my home for me to take the things out on the kitchen worktop.

Then Covid started.

To begin with we were allowed the shopping to be packed in plastic bags again & left at the door, ring or knock on the door & retreat so I could come out & pick the bags up.

Perfect for me.

Then as time went on they took away the plastic bags again.

Tesco have me down as a Vulnerable customer now even after the Gov told the supermarkets to delete all info they were given about vulnerable to covid. Tesco emailed all these people & asked if I still wanted to stay a vulnerable customer. I did. I can access vulnerable slots that have an 8 hour window. Tesco email you the morning of your delivery to tell you which hour they will deliver yours within that 8 hour window. So in fact it's the same as booking an hour slot that costs £4.50 where the vulnerable slots coast £2. They also do a saver slot which costs £3.

Also on Tesco if you sign in & go to the grocery's front page when the van's near it gives you an even close time it will be with you.

I have had some horrific delivery drivers in the last couple of months from both Tesco & Sainsburys. Generally Sainsburys have been better than Tesco. I've been called a liar, been made fun of, belittled & made to feel so angry I shake & cry after they have gone. And believe me I've been through some horrible things in my life so it takes a fair amount to make me feel like that.

Because I'm dressed, in an upright position, under 60 & have a smile on my face I'm deemed by most (unfortunately) supermarket drivers as a nasty piss taker that needs to be taught a lesson by them. Last weeks was one of the worst I've experienced despite my slot being a vulnerable slot & with clear written instructions that I need someone to pack my food from the trays in to bags I have because I'm not well enough to do it myself, & complained bitterly to Tesco & made an official complaint. And all they are going to do with him is to re train him in customer facing. If I told you what he did you would want him sacked. I'm extremely grateful that he was training another driver (would you believe that!) so I had a witness that they can ask otherwise who knows what would of happened to him probably nothing.

Since last weeks episode I now have a zero tolerance policy. I say hello, how are you then pick a bag up & say will you pack my bags for me?. That's always what I say & if I have any hesitation, or nasty comments or attitude in any way shape or form I will tell them to take it back I don't want the delivery & shut the door. Because why should I have to put up with someone else's attitude & prejudices that they hold just so I can eat every week.

This weeks delivery was with Sainsburys I took a deep breath & opened the door, it so happens that it was a driver I've had many times in the past & he is an angel nothings too much trouble. So this weeks possible nightmare is over until next week.....

I didn't know that Tesco groceries had a delivery tracker, thanks. It's a pity Sainsbury's doesn't have something similar.

Your last Tesco delivery could constitute disability discrimination for failing to make reasonable adjustments. There may be a public organisation that could take your case on if you wanted to pursue it.

For future supermarket deliveries, it might be worth making a formal written request, citing the Equality Act 2010, and listing the reasonable adjustments that you would like to be made. There are template letters online. The letter could be sent to your local store manager and/or head office. You could get a solicitor to do that but I doubt their letter would be any different to the typical template letters.

Yes I probably could have a case for disability discrimination.

Why should I have to fight like this, I shouldn't so the fastest way for them to learn is to send back the whole delivery if the driver has a problem. That costs them money & would love to be a fly on the wall when the driver brings back the whole order

I would of course contact the supermarket on twitter & explain what's happened before they get back so can't make up lies & if they do will be caught.

A little update about a little victory. I got a refund for the supermarket late delivery, but the bank paid the refund, not the supermarket it seems.

I had an idea that maybe I could ask my bank for a debit card chargeback for the £4 delivery fee. It was more hassle than expected. The bank telephoned me, despite me asking for no calls, and there were several emails back and forth about phoning / not phoning. The credit to my bank account is described as "write off". I understand that when the value of a chargeback is low, the bank may pay it rather than incurr the expense of staff time to deal with the chargeback. The downside of this is that the supermarket isn't penalised for being late.

I'm thinking I should get some kind of GoPro style security camera, as I have no way of proving when the deliveries arrive. It might also be useful if there are any problems with the delivery.