Thread: Guidance GOV.UK Verify Updated 1 April 2022

Guidance GOV.UK Verify Updated 1 April 2022

Just spotted this in an email I used the gateway for checking my National Insurance but assumed the ID verification for that would work with other departments but looks like that has now changed since April 2022 so I guess with migration? when it takes place a new verification will be needed. ID, password, email phone they don't make life easy even though they say' it is. http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...g-govuk-verify

From April 2022 the following services will use their own identity verification instead of GOV.UK Verify:

Check your Income Tax for the current year (HMRC)
    Help friends or family with their tax (HMRC)
    Sign in and file your Self Assessment tax return (HMRC)
    Sign in to your personal tax account (HMRC)
    Apply for Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
    Check your State Pension (DWP and HMRC)
    Get your State Pension (DWP)

Government gateway never worked properly, (and still doesn't), GOV.UK verify has never worked properly.

They like the idea of a one-stop/one-for-all ID verification; but they haven't been able to get it to work properly for the 20 years that they have been trying (up to now).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The gateway I eventually managed to get verified took two days but I don't think I will need to update NI anymore as I'm well over the the amount required but that I only did when you mentioned that they had not been updating your contributions. Too many passwords and information needed now.

What we need is a national identity card issued by the govt.

But it's been resisted for so long that it would take years to get fully in place now.
    (Not helped by the fact that they would contract the process out).

TBH the NI number does a good job, and it's always been good enough for benefits until UC came along.

You can't have a 'biometric' system without at.least a photo though.
    Which is why the current reliance on DL/Passport even though not everybody has one.

But also you see a council bus pass with a photo is often refused as identification but a credit or debit card is. Strange old world sometimes.

I often use my bus pass as ID, if they say they can't take it they'll only accept a driving licence or passport then the magic word 'discrimination' tends to make them change their mind.

And it is discrimination if it's a disability pass - under the Equality Act 2010 they are 'indirectly' discriminating against your disablilty which prevents you from having a driving licence, but it has to be a disability pass not an OAP or other travel pass.
    I don't think anyones had to take any organisation to court over it yet, pity as that would then confirm in case law that they had to accept a disability pass in place of a driving licence.

I even used my bus pass when verifying my ID for Universal Credit, I didn't need the magic word but I wouldn't have used it with the DWP anyway, I'd have used 'Reasonal Adjustment' instead because that's a phrase they are taught about in relation to benefits.
    UC ID conversation: "We can't accept a bus pass as photo evidence, it's not on the list", just a look from me was enough and she took the details off it and clicked the box on her screen for photo ID provided.

I still have a paper drivers licence they look in bemused mostly and ask what is it. No photo I never bothered to send it away, so most around now haven't seen one before because plastic was their era. I got my licence in 1985