Thread: Mum's bedbound

Talking Mum's bedbound

Good morning my 90 year old mum is bedbound in the lounge now, her OT got a small hoist for her carers to use to get mum out of bed and onto a chair ,however this has proved almost impossible to achieve due to mum having carpet and the hoist is too difficult to move.
    Carers suggested OT gets a cantry hoist which would be easier, OT suggested ripping carpet out and putting lino down rather than getting a better hoist, so many issues and problems, don't know where to start, OT has now said no cantry hoists are available so upto now we have got no where and poor mum is still stuck in bed.
    Sorry for long post but can I also ask if OT should be coming to help mum with other things like picking up a pen etc and generally some idea on how she can become a little more mobile. King regards Lynne41

Hello, unfortunately I think your post must've got pushed off the main page.

Occupational Therapy 'home visit' assessments are fundamental to person centered care and hospital discharges. They provide the Occupational Therapist with an opportunity to visit patients' homes and determine the care, equipment and adaptations they need to return home safely. Other than that it would be a plan given to her carer's to implement or trip where possible to an OT department.

Some simple tasks to help squeezing bubble wrap to pop it, this helps the fingers to grip better putting beeds onto a string or a solitaire set with marbles picking them up. Colour pastels or paint to build on. They also do wrist straps for aid of picking up and holding items.