Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moving from ESA SG to UC, my experience

So when you claimed Universal credit, both your housing benefit and council tax claim is switched off ? So does that mean a new application for council tax or do they carry it on by transferring the claim over. I guess once one is closed the system closes both claims for housing and council tax.

No - CT is not switched off by migration to UC, it is not one of the benefits that will be migrated to UC. It isn't a 'benefit'.
    (We were discussing a house move there not migration).

It is only IR benefits that pay you money that are being migrated, so that the DWP will then be in charge of all IR benefit payments.
    See the next post.

CT doesn't pay you any money, but you may get what you have to pay to the council reduced, that reduction calculation/decision stays with the individual Council.

However the CT reduction that you get may be affected by migration to UC.

That's because just by having IR ESA you (usually, depends on your council) get a 100% Council Tax Reduction.
    With UC there is no such 'automatic' 100% CT reduction, and so a calculation of your income has to take place just like with everyone else.

I still get 100% CT reduction after moving to UC - but others here have reported that they now have to pay a few pounds CT (or a few pounds more) after migrating to UC.
    It all depends on your individual council and their own rules on CT reductions.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-05-22 at 08:29.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

You can look at UC,and migration to UC, as primarily a way to get all 'working Age' benefit payments being made by the DWP.

At the moment that doesn't happen, DWP pays most benefits but:
    The councils pay Housing Benefit.
    HMRC pay Tax Credits.

Getting all IR benefit payments under one DW 'umberella' is what they actually mean when they talk about "simplifying the benefits system".

It's easy to believe that the whole point of UC, and migration to UC, is simply to get responsibility for those payments away from the councils and HMRC.
    Lumping in IR ESA, IB JSA, and IS as well is just a consolidation of all IR benefits into one.

PS. Even after Managed Migration is all over with the councils will still be paying HB to pensioners. (and those in emergency or 'specified' accomodation).
    There are no plans (yet) to change that, but as we know pensioners have always been regarded as a special case when it comes to benefits with less cuts and bigger anual increases.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-05-22 at 08:36.

Thanks Nuke, I used to pay service charges and part of council tax under Incapacity when we moved to ESA I was surprised that after submitting my letters that they were paying all the council tax but until the income related tranfer got added I paid a weekly service charge that stopped once income related was added. Now all I do is email the rent and ESA changes to the council sometimes they reply with a letter and couple of years had no reply but they've been updated on their system. Which reminds me I haven't had any response in a month since I sent April's increases.

Long overdue update! I am now settled into my new home.

Rent has been covered in full by UC (1 person, 1 bed flat).
    As soon as my UC is paid I move my rent to another bank account (which allows savings pots), put the excess in said pot then use my LA website to pay the rent in full for the month (quicker processing of payment than a SO).
    The savings pot amounts are hidden from your balance so that money will sit there until it's needed for rent due to the difference in payment schedules.

My LA does not offer any discounts for empty, unfurnished property so I was as I suspected liable for 5 weeks full CT (the time between signing the tenancy and moving in)
    They took a while to add my single adult discount so the first payment date got pushed back.
    My CTR has all gone through now so that 5 weeks is now spread across 8 very affordable payments starting 1st July.

I had my UC award in place just over one month before I somewhat unexpectedly was offered a property and became liable for rent. The stress on my physical and mental health caused by the moving process made me VERY glad I wasn't also contending with a new UC claim.
    It is very scary but if you will be better off financially (as I was) I would highly recommend considering making a claim before you are forced to.
    Last edited by Kimmy123; 22-06-22 at 10:14.

Good to hear that the move to UC and the move to a new flat has all gone well for you.

I had moved 6 months before I claimed UC, and as you say it's easier if you can keep the 2 things apart so you're only dealing with one at once.
    Of course some are claiming UC for the first time because they have moved and have no choice than to do both at once.

I just set up a direct debit to pay the rent the same day each monh that the UC goes in, I don't have to do anything.

Hope you are as happy with your new flat as I am with this one.

Thanks I am very, very happy, it has a wet room (which is where I got my priority from when bidding) and it's amazing!

I did wonder if I'd miss a bath, because soaking my muscles was therapeutic, but I've been too busy marvelling at the level access shower to even notice the lack of a bath 🤣