Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving from ESA SG to UC, my experience

Moving from ESA SG to UC, my experience

After reading Nukecad's excellent guide on moving from ESA WRAG to UC, I thought it would be useful to relate my own experience with moving from ESA SG to UC.

I currently get a mix of IR & CB ESA in the Support Group (EDP but not SDP), as I could use the extra money and will need UC Housing in the next year or two (currently live with parent and bidding on social housing), I decided to take the plunge, after extensive research.

Today I have :

• Completed the UC Application
    • Successfully verified my identity online
    • Added a note to my journal stating I currently get ESA CB& IR in Support Group

So far I did have to try 3 identity providers before I was successful (thanks Digidentity), and I was surprised UC didn't ask my NI number or details of current benefits (just a Yes or No to "do I get any benefits") hence the journal note.

Otherwise very smooth process- as a single childless person there are obviously some advantages!

I am expecting my IR ESA to cease (after a 2 week run on payment), my CB ESA to change to New Style ESA, be given UC LCWRA and have the NS ESA deducted from my award.

Now I wait and see what happens next.
    Last edited by Kimmy123; 26-03-22 at 10:28.

As you had EDP but not SDP then you should get more money overall with UC + CB ESA then you did with CB ESA + IR ESA Premiums.

It's a bit funny working things out at the moment with benefit rates changing next month but once things settle down you should be about £100 a month better off overall.

I hope this bit doesn't come as a dissapointment but you may not get as much for the ESA run on as you might expect.
    I think that you may already be aware of that though, you seem to have looked into things closely.

The 2-week run is only for the IR part of your ESA, the part that is migrating into UC.
    CB ESA continues to be paid anyway so there is no run on for it. (And it will still be deductable from UC).
    So if you have CB ESA with IR Premiums the run on payment will be for the Premiums only.

The run on will be paid seperately to the CB ESA.
    That's because as from the date of the UC claim the CB ESA changes to New Style ESA, and they can't include IR premuims with New Style ESA payments.

Keep us updated with how things go, and especially if you encounter any problems.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Absolutely I'm aware it's the IR premium only that has the 2 week run on, thanks.

Will definitely keep updating as things progress

Todays update:

UC have noted that I receive ESA.

UC have given me a "First commitments" appointment to attend the local Job Centre in person in 1 week.

I assume this is a formality more than anything given that I should be treated as having LCWRA from the start of my UC claim.

Yes, as you are LCWRA your commitments will be to login to your account "regularly" and check your journal.

They can be daft though.
    My sister in law has a terminal cancer so my brother gave up work and has claimed UC.
    As they are a mixed age couple she also had to make a UC claim despite being in her 80s.
    And then the UC computer asked an 80+ yo with a terminal condition to attend jobcenter plus for a commitments meeting.
    No problem getting it cancelled, but it shouldn't have happened.
    (And they haven't given her automatic LCWRA like they should; currently with a DM).

That's terrible, sometimes I think they have quotas of people to see, so the system books appointments, regardless of them being exempt or not.

Todays update:

Received notification that they will be calling me within 2 or 3 days for more information.
    I have asked via my journal that this is done by appointment, not random call and that I am given as much notice as possible.
    Last edited by Kimmy123; 30-03-22 at 22:27.

Might not happen, I had a couple of 'We will ring you .....' that turned into messages/questions on the journal/To-do instead.

Does the contribution esa have any tick box, to keep outside of Universal Credit or is that automatically New Style ESA. It seems stupid that you provided ID online to have to attend to confirm it again in a claimant commitment appointment. So all you are claiming for currently is the is the disability income guarantee off them with no housing paid. I don't know how many people they will eventually move across but or time frame but I'm sure they will have a better idea about people with disabilities by then. Good luck to you 🤞

CB ESA stays outside of UC and becomes 'New Style' ESA. , it happens automatically.
    You could close the ESA claim if you wanted and just be paid UC without deduction for CB ESA.
    The difference is that CB ESA will not be affected by any future income/capital (say you got an inheritance or a lottery win) whereas UC is affected.

I don't understand the question about the Claimant Commitment?
    It is set by DWP and says what you have to do, if anything, towards finding work.
    It is part of your claim file, and is on your journal, of course they can see it. But if you have no work related activities then the jobcentre isn't interested.
    PS. You should already have one for ESA if you are in WRAG, but in ESA it's called a "Work Related Activity Plan" (ESA49).
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque.../ESA49%200.pdf

No point at all if you are not doing any worksearching anyway.

The other is mainly missinformation that you often see on social media.

For worksearchers it might be debatable just how much detail of worksearching the Work Coach can ask to see.
    But only as far as it comes down to if the detail of what they are asking for is 'reasonable' or not.
    You can always challenge it (MR and even tribunal) and ask for the requirements set on your worksearching/recording to be changed.

But it is a condition of claiming a worksearcher benefit, JSA or UC, that you worksearch and give evidence that you have worksearched.

Data Protection/GDPR doesn't overrule that, the data is being asked/collected for a genuine purpose -to check your entitlement to receive the benefit - and so it's allowable to collect it.

Once collected there are restrictions on how it can be stored and used. There may be tickboxes about that use of the data on various forms.
    For example there's tickboxes on an ESA/UC50 about permission to share your WCA results with your GP.

You are entitled not to give the required evidence of worksearching, as long as you don't want the benefit.
    Initially refusal would result in a benefit sanction, repeated refusals increase the sanctions, up to the point where you are regularly not complying with the conditions required to claim the benefit and your claim is then ended.

Think of it the same as refusing to give information for an ESA WCA.
    You can refuse to give that information, but will not be entitled to any ESA if you don't give it.

From what I've seen elsewhere those who complain about this and try to give minimal jobsearching information are usually general awkward buggers in life anyway.
    Often argumentative, insisting on 'their rights' when they don't even know what that means. (other than some vague often inaccurate stuff they have read on social media).

Mostly they appear the type who you would want to see some proof of anything they are saying, to make sure that they are not lying through their teeth.

By being awkward with no real reason they just make things more difficult for themselves with the DWP (and everyone else), when it could be so much easier.

You see them now and again on whatdotheyknow, making complaints/demands about their Work Coaches and Claimant Commitments, rather than asking for information which is what the site is for.