Thread: IPSOS MORI questionnaire for those on benefits?

IPSOS MORI questionnaire for those on benefits?

Did anyone else receive a questionnaire on how they're managing financially whilst receiving benefits? I got one through the post the other day.

No but on the benefits & work weekly newsletter email it says this:

DWP SECRET SURVEY SET TO BLAME CLAIMANTS FOR GOING COLD AND HUNGRY

A secret survey being carried out by the DWP looks set to blame claimants themselves for going cold and hungry.

The survey is being carried out by one of the UK’s leading polling companies on behalf of the DWP and says it is intended to help the DWP “better understand people’s financial situation and what support they may need”.

The online survey asks a number of questions about what kind of debts claimants have and what effect these debts have had on them.

It is the question "What types of help or support, if any, would be most useful in helping you manage your finances?" which is most concerning, however.

The list of options includes:

Help with working out what money I have left to spend each/day/week/month.
    Advice on how to spread my spending so I don’t run out of money
    Advice on how to reduce my spending
    Advice on how to reduce my debt

But what is entirely missing from these options are the ones that would actually make a difference to claimants, such as:

Pay benefits at a rate that is enough to live on
    Remove the 5 week waiting time for UC
    End the long delays for PIP assessments and WCAs

Because there are no such options, this survey will produce results that say that claimants who are in debt all said that they need various kinds of budgeting advice, rather than more money.

We have made a Freedom of Information request to find out when and if this report is going to be published.

But if it allows the DWP to claim that the reason some claimants are unable to eat or heat is that they are failing to budget wisely, then we suspect it will be made available as quickly and widely as the DWP can possibly manage.

Then there's a link to there website about it:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...old-and-hungry

Thanks Starbright, I knew there was some catch here, and this makes perfect sense, it'll lay blame on the claimant/recipient as being the problem and not the fact of the meagre amounts paid or inflation meaning things are not affordable anymore with benefits not going up inline, or the fact, even after decades and inflation we're still not allowed more than 6K (the same amount it's been for more than 20 years) in savings before being financially penalised.

There's a whole range of issues, but obviously the government will use this to skew things to their own narrative.

i won't be partaking in it.