Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council tax

Council tax

Hi everyone just need some advice

I’ve moved from my own flat where I received council tax support ( I get universal credit ) to a shared flat where the council tax is included in the rent . I have an account attached to my old address, I no longer need an account as CT is included in rent , can I just close my account now and ignore them ? I’m getting really stressed out about it. I don’t want to transfer my account as it’s not needed the CT is included in the rent .

Thanks for any advice

Presumably your new place is a HMO (House in Multiple Occupation).

There are different kinds of HMO, but one thing that they all have in common is that the landlord is responsible for paying the Council Tax for a HMO.

The landlord can pass that cost on through the rent, but their tenants have no legal obligation to pay CT.

So just tell your council that you are now in a HMO and have no liability for Council Tax.

However - If you have CT arrears from where you were before then you still have a liability for the repayment of those arrears.
    Again talk to the council about repayments for old CT debts.
    Last edited by nukecad; 17-02-22 at 19:13.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad , I’m not in any arrears from previous place . I think it’s an HMO but I don’t think landlord has a licence.

HMO licensing and Council Tax liability are different things.

Not all HMOs need to be licenced, but the CT liability is always the landlords. (It's easier than trying to chase what may be a lot of short term tenants).
    All HMOs do have to comply with certain standards regarding fire safety, etc.

Licencing depend firstly on how many people are in the property.

3 people in more than one houshold and sharing toilet, bathroom, or kitchen, makes it a HMO.
    5 or more people makes it licensable by law.
    The council can also require a licence for less than 5, some do some don't.

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/h...ple-occupation

The rules/laws for HMOs are different in Scotland and NI.

I did check and think the flat should have an HMO license, I really don’t want to get the landlord in trouble. I mean I’ve done nothing wrong , I’m not in arrears or anything and the CT is paid by the landlord, he just doesn’t have a license. If I call the council and tell them I no longer require CT support and to close my account because it’s included in my rent they might ask who else lives here and if we have an HMO license. I just don’t know what to do .

Whether it should be licenced or not is not your concern here.

TBH it sounds as if that's all been sorted with the council anyway, they already know it's a HMO - think about it - no landlord is going to be paying the CT unless he has to.

Your actions here are simple, as I said above you simply tell the council that you are no longer living at the old property, and that you are not liable to pay CT at the new property.
    That's all that you need to tell them, job done as far as you are concerned.

If the council want to look into it more then that is up to them, but as long as someone is paying CT for the property then thye're happy.

PS. You are not actually paying 'Council Tax' to the landlord, you are not liable for any council tax. - You are just paying more rent to cover what the landlord has to pay in CT.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-02-22 at 15:50.

Thanks nukecad, I’ve just filled in the online form in my account saying I’ve moved . Got an email back after I’d submitted it saying my old account ( previous address) was now closed and they’d emailed a log in for a new account, I won’t be creating one as I’ve no need. I’m sure it’ll say on their system that the CT is paid by landlord so hopefully I’ll get no payment statements in the next few weeks. I just get really overwhelmed dealing with all this , but I’ve done what I needed to so let’s see what happens now .

Yes just ignore creating a new one.

If the council come back with anything just phone/email/write and tell them that (landlords name) is liable for CT at the property and as far as you know is paying it as they should.

I will , thanks for the advice nukecad

Hi nukecad could you offer any advice here please
    I received a CT bill ( addressed to myself , other flatmate and landlord( who doesn’t live here ) . I called up the council and she asked if landlord lived here , I said no and she then said that whoever lives here is liable to pay council tax even though the landlord actually pays it by direct debit . I’m really confused about it .