Thread: Dentist closed without warning

Dentist closed without warning

Just discovered my NHS dentist has closed without informing patients or giving any reason whatsoever publicly. Just vanished. Phones unanswered. Doors locked. No hint of anything untoward. Decent CQC rating. So, the question is what to do? Is it a case of having to go private with all the costs that entails? Or can I be transferred somewhere else (not that there are many NHS dentists around).

Im in the same boat, my dentist is going private in 3 months time. They have set up a treatment payment plan for 11.99 a month which gets you two checkups and two hygeneist appointments a year then extra for treatment, up to £180 for a filling. I cant afford that so with no NHS dentists taking on around here im resigned to the fact ill have to forgo regular checkups and just visit the emergency NHS dentist when needed.

Sorry to hear that. I've no idea what the law is - if any - wrt this. Even if I found another dentist how the hell are they going to access my dental records if the surgery has just closed without warning. It seems they had 4,000 people on their books. It was bad enough in the first place being a half-hour bus ride away but I've always had good treatment there. Now it's being in limbo. As luck would have it a tooth fell out a week ago - that's how I found out the surgery was closed, when I rang for an appointment - whole tooth, clean break, no infection. If it was at the backI wouldn't be too bothered. But it's at the front and looks hideous, like something out of an old pirate movie. Did a quick check on cost of dental bridges. £282 NHS which is bad enough but almost £3,000 private. At that price I'll be walking around looking like Blackbeard for some time yet.