Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Insurance Contributions Missing Again

National Insurance Contributions Missing Again

Hi everyone, just checked my National Insurance contributions through the gateway again and noticed that nothing had been added again for the past 3 years again, this is after doing a previous formal complaint to get earlier 9 years updated. So this is for anyone that hasn't checked them for a while once you have checked them just email them at Correspondence@dwp.gov.uk if they're missing under the heading (Formal Complaint)
    With all your details and email. I think Nuke has a template setup. But it's worth checking and keeping it updated before it becomes more of an issue.

That's the template link Nuke put together as a guide

https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...l=1#post134888

You won't be at all surprised to hear that the same problem of NI credits not being given is happening with UC as well:
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/17920/

Whatever IR benefit you are on you should check your NI record:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...butions-ca3916
    and complain to the DWP if NI credits have not / are not being made.

Here is a update of that complaint template to cover both ESA and/or UC.
    After changing it with your dates and name/address then for ESA you can email it to Correspondence@dwp.gov.uk or print/post it to your Jobcentre.
    If sending as an email then use simply Formal Complaint as the email header.
    If you have UC then you can put it on your journal, in which case you don't need your name/address, DOB, or NI number or the date of sending.
    {Your Name and address.}

DOB: {Your Date of birth.}
    NI No: {Your NI Number.}

Date: {date of sending}

Dear DWP,

I wish to make a Formal Complaint.
    Re: National Insurance credits not automatically awarded in respect of benefit claim.

I have recieved a statement of My National Insurance contributions record from HMRC.

This shows that no NI credits have been made since the tax year {add whatever the last year was on your NI statement that has full payments/credits}

I have been a recipient of Employment Support Allowance/Universal Credit {delete as appropriate or leave both if you have migrated} since {add the date you first claimed benefit}

I moved from ESA to Universal Credit on {add the date you moved - or delete if this doesn't apply}

As such NI credits should have been added to my contribution record for the whole period that I have been on Income Related benefit.
    My contribution record from HMRC shows that this has not happened.

Please confirm that this error will be corrected, the missing credits added to my NI record, and further credits added for as long as my benefit award continues.

Regards
    {Your Name}
    If you don't have the exact dates then the month and year, or just the year, will be enough.

This is the DWPs response to an FoI request about the NI credits problem with UC:
    I can confirm that we hold the recorded information to respond to your request.

The issue regarding the updating of an individual’s National Insurance record with class 3 contributions was first identified in 2019.

Since then a strategic solution has been implemented to ensure all Universal Credit claimants are credited with the appropriate credits to support their qualifying years for state pension purposes.

Between November 2020 to November 2021 there have been 855 such cases raised for further investigation.
    Note that UC only gives credits for Class 3 NI contributions, legacy benefits such as ESA give Class 1 contribution credits.

The requester has asked for clarification of just what "strategic solution" means.
    UPDATE- The DWP have replied that they actually meant 'Manual solution' and not 'Strategic solution'. (ie. They were telling porkies again hoping the requester wouldn't notice).
    Reading the accompanying 'manual' guidance it simply tells the person dealing with an NI credit error what to do to correct the error, it says nothing about identifying such errors themselves.
    Or to put it another way - They aren't checking and so nothing will get done unless they get a complaint.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-02-22 at 22:44.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nuke. They actually phoned up and left a message saying it was sent to the relevant department and they should be updated shortly. So I checked the gateway a few days later and as if by magic 3 years of national insurance payments had been updated. I recommend using the template that Nuke put together.

One thing to note about that template -

I'm not sure just what they will do if you have migrated to UC, but have credits missing from both ESA and UC.

Normally UC doesn't interact with ESA, and so they might tell you to also contact ESA yourself?

I see what you mean probably has a different department name for UC well you don't have to long left Nuke I guess you will be doing a pensioners rights next.

Still a few years to go yet, but it's creeping up. (4 years and 2-1/2 weeks, but who's counting, LOL).

Sounds like you become an OAP at about the same time as me ..... May 2026 for me.

Yep, end of Feb 2026 so looks like I'll beat you by a couple of months.

Lol two and a half weeks. I have about 14 years to go so hoping It passes by with less fuss. Good luck to you both. So what happens with universal credit and being retired do you go back to claiming housing allowance or remain on housing benefit element ? I've never thought of that part.