Thread: Am I a carer?

Am I a carer?

Hello,

Can I ask a question please.
    I was applying for a Loan and the bank said what is your occupation and they said there is no option for unemployed or disabled.
    They said there is an option for househusband, my wife works but I am disabled and receive DLA and ESA. But not sure if this would be correct to put this down, also our child is disabled and gets DLA middle rate care and lower rate mobility and the bank said could we put you down as a carer? but I do not know if this would be correct as I myself get DLA and ESA and we do not get carers allowance and I am worried they would think a carer is someone who is a carer who is employed? Obviously I live with my daughter and look after her with my wife, we all live in the same house. I am confused? hope someone can help?

Thanks

Would you not be better applying in your wifes name as she is working?

Banks don't like giving loans to non-working people, even if they could afford the repayments from their benefits, and the application forms reflect that.
    It is possible but much harder to get a bank loan if you are not working.

Is your ESA Income Related?
    If it is and you are not looking for a large amount then you could apply to ESA for a budgeting loan (interest free).
    You can get a BL of up to £464 as a couple, and up to £812 if one of you claims child benefit.
    https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.