Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UC journal

UC journal

Ive been on UC about 18 months now and on my journal it still says we are processing your claim, does it always say this? Also a box has appeared asking me to give feedback to "Tell us why you cannot verify your identity online" then gives a few choices to tick the box. I was verified online through the post office. Its a bit unnerving.

It will be because of the relaxation of the ID verification that they did during covid.
    They are catching up on those ID verifications now which is causing problems for some.

This sounds like an automatically generated 'to-do', because they don't have your ID verification marked as completed.

It seems as if your verification with the PO has not been processed, or not been accepted, for some reason.

What are the tickbox options that 'to-do' is giving you? (If it's not too many to list).

The other thing you can do is leave a message on your journal asking why your online verification has not been accepted/processed.
    But as you are LCWRA then you won't have a work coach, so who knows when your journal will be read by someone?
    Phoning them to ask about it may be a better option.

You may have to tick on that to-do that you can't verify online, if that's an option, (even though you already have verified) and go down to a Jobcentre to verify your ID, it's fairly quick to do my ID interview at the end of November took all of 5 minutes:
    https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...l=1#post176100

BE VERY AWARE that you shouldn't just leave this hanging.
    They have been closing claims that they say haven't been fully ID verified, and asking for all of the UC paid since claiming to be paid back.

It's become something of a scandal because people who have returned to work after covid have been/are having UC 'repayments' taken from their wages when they knew nothing about having to re-verify because as far as they were concerned their UC had been closed so they hadn't been looking at their journals. There have been questions in parliament about it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...y-says-charity
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-01-22 at 20:05.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I remember being 100% verified when i applied, took about 2 hours going through things. The tic boxex are.

This is optional and will help us improve Universal Credit. It will not affect your claim.
    Tell us why you cannot verify your identity online
    Select all options that apply to you.
    I prefer to do this in person at a job centre
    I do not have the correct documents
    I do not trust online services
    I am not sure what to do
    I do not understand English well

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    This is optional and will help us improve Universal Credit. It will not affect your claim.
    That's a very strange message if they think that you haven't verified. Is this a 'To-Do' or is it just on your journal?

As none of the options apply to you then I'd ring them to ask what is going on and reiterate/stress that you have verified online and it was accepted at the time.
    Note that they may say it wasn't a full verification because of covid.

Alternatively you could try putting a query on your Journal.
    Because you are LCWRA you won't have a Work Coach so you need to know/use a bit of a work-around.
    Click 'Add a journal entry' then pick either 'Service Issues' or 'Payments', either of those two options should get flagged to your Case Manager, (but it may take time so the phone may be better).

TBH in your situation I'd probably tick the box for a jobcentre ID appointment, submit the form, and see what happens, (depends if you can physically get to the JC or not), if they don't pick up that you've already verified then least you'll get to talk to the right person face-to-face at the jobcentre and sort it out there.
    If you do that then take your ID documents with you, just in case.

As an aside, some of the things put automatically on your journal don't seem to make much sense.
    I had a strange 'To-Do' the other week asking me to supply details of all my earnings from employment for the past year. (I'd been on ESA since 2011 so had no earnings).
    I eventually worked out how to get it to take zero amounts for each month (you have to enter 0 pounds and 00 pence) but still wasn't too happy 'declaring' that I "hadn't had any gaps from my employment".
    I do have a Work Coach so queried it on my journal, she admitted that the wording of their online forms often doesn't make sense or the tickboxes cover all possible replies.
    As I'd queried it, and so had that query on record, I put it thorugh.
    In the end it seems to have gone through without making any problems.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-01-22 at 23:00.

Thanks for answering, Yes its on the to do list, Its the first screen after i log in. Yesterday i decided to tick the I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO box and this morning when i log in the same thing is back there asking me the same questions. Ive ticked the same box this morning and its disappeared again, i'll see if it reappears tomorrow and if it does ill ring them on Monday.

Ive just signed out and signed in again twice after ticking various boxes and its always there, ill ring them today and see whats what.
    Last edited by Stubby; 07-01-22 at 06:43.

After being hanging on the phone for over 40 mins i gave up and will see what comes of it if i do nothing

Despite the 'It will not affect your claim' you still have to verify ID if they think that you haven't done.

Not verifying your ID (or if they think that you haven't) will affect your claim.

So doing nothing is risky.
    As I said above others who 'did nothing' about ID verification (because they didn't know they had to) have had their UC claims closed and all UC monies from the start of their claims classed as overpayment and clawed back.

Again, personally I would tick the box for a jobcentre interview.
    That shows you are willing to 'do something' to sort out what is going on.

ive just ticked the box I prefer to do this in person at a job centre and then logged out. Then logged in again and its back asking me the same again.

How do i know ive to verify my claim if ive had nothing to tell me to?

As said previously i was 100 percent verified by the post office with facial scans against the photos they have of me and the loans and bank accounts i have with them

Like I say this seems to be part of the mess that has been caused by the waiving of ID verification during Covid.

It's obviously some error at their end that keeps giving you the form back. (I assume that you are clicking on 'Submit' after ticking the box).

Is there any indication on your account that the form(s) has been submitted? (I'm guessing that there won't be).

For example when I was claiming I couldn't verify online so ticked the box for a jobcentre interview, ten minutes later my journal had a new entry saying "Confirm your identity - wait for call".
    (I didn't actually get a call, the appointment was made as a to-do).

TBH though this sounds like a typical computer programming error. (it's called an 'invalid input' loop error).
    They are asking a question that you can't give a valid answer to.
    So whatever you tick on that form the computer will keep rejecting it and giving you the form again.

ie. The only replies that you can give say that you are not verified. The programme tries to send your reply down the route to where it should go if you weren't verified, but that route isn't open because you are verified. It's impossible to give it an answer it can pass on to anywhere so it just keeps looping and asking again.

The best that I can suggest is to put a note for your Case Manager on either the 'Service Issues' or 'Payments' of your journal, make a point of telling them that whatever you tick the form is just being sent again.
    And/or ring them again and hold on until they answer.

And yes, despite what their 'official' figures say, 40 minutes to an hour on hold at the DWP is not unusual although UC is usually quicker to answer than legacy benefits.

The DWP said (to the benefits advisors forum) in November:
    The best time to ring would usually be between 10-12 and 2-4, with Monday being our busiest day.
    So you can expect to wait longer on a Monday.
    The Actual Average Speed of Answer (Call Waiting) for Universal Credit April to September 2021 is as follows:
    (mm:ss)

April: 12:28
    May: 10:43
    June: 04:00
    July: 04:57
    August: 07:05
    September: 11:38
    Those times are supposedly from when all their useless messages end until someone picks up the call. (But they don't include abandoned calls like your 40 minute one, which is convinient for keeping the figures down)