Thread: Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance

Hello,

Does Carers Allowance stop or do CA need to be informed if you have been awarded Industrial Injury Benefit; or can you get both benefits the same time?

Thanks

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) and Carers Allowance are not 'overlapping' benefits so you can have both at the same time.

See 7.1 of this factsheet for the benefits that do overlap with Carers Allowance, IIDB is not one of them.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset...owance_fcs.pdf

You should inform CA of the IIDB award because it does raise the question of if your own disability for which you now have IIDB allows you to look after someone else for 35 hours a week.
    There is no automatic answer to that question though, and many people on disability benefits are also carers and claim CA.
    It's best to tell CA up front so that they can't say later that your were 'hiding' the IIDB award from them.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hello Nukecad, yes we were planning to tell them if awarded the IIDB but thought they were not overlapping but were not sure of the wording, thank you for clarifying.

Done

Now as usual wait

I was in very much pain from the accidents; and much pain at the assessment

I had the benefit back in year 2012 they deemed a short term recovery obviously not; just had relapse Feb this year so did change of circumstances; last year when my PIP got awarded as HCP told me still had the sciatica so wanted to get the back injury further investigated given lost jobs

As you know they said short term recovery but have had since needed new bed, new chair for working on my machine at home, do you think if awarded, be backdated to I think April when did the change of circumstances; it says on Google from date of claim but am confused as I did not do a new form just this continued but they expanded my notes to include both the accidents I had and things as second accident had not been recorded when they saw me before.

I am sure they won't back date as far as 2013 when still was in pain; be too long ago I guess; but see what happens given lot of lost opportunities here.
    Last edited by anonymous; 09-12-21 at 20:00.

As far as I am aware a C-of-C for IIDB only backpays to when the change was reported.

New claims for IIDB can be backdated, but only for 3 months from the date of the claim.

So even if any 'second accident' was treated as a (late) new claim it would only be backdated for 3 months.

There might be a very slight case for challenging that the original decision was wrong and so should be revised from the original date it was made, but only if you had told them about the second accident at the time and it hadn't been considered at all. (If you hadn't claimed/told them about a second accident then they couldn't consider it).
    That seems a slim chance to me but if you want to look into it then you should contact an advisor who knows more about the workings of IIDB, it's a bit of a specilist benefit.

You can find advisors local to you by putting your postcode in here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sadly going to have to do MR for the IIDB so much wrong, date of the accident, and so forth. Such shame heard just before Christmas. I just hope now get something from this.