Thread: New housing benefit Claim or universal credit help.

New housing benefit Claim or universal credit help.

My partner moved into a new property next door to me over the weekend and was receiving housing benefit at her old address of which we handed old keys and termination form into council today. Can anyone please tell me if she has to make a new claim for housing benefit or universal credit, my partner receives full pip and esa.

Firstly, just to make sure this is a house/flat and not a care home or similar?

With a house/flat the question is if the old address/new address are in the same council area.

If it's the same council then it's just a change of circumstances to the existing Housing Benefit claim with that council.
    Just notify Housing Benefit of a change of circumstances.
    (I did that myself a couple of months ago when I moved within the same town).

If it's a move to a different council area then you can't claim HB at the new council, and so if you want help with the rent have to claim UC instead.
    If her ESA is Income Related or has any premiums included then that would also be migrated to UC when she claims it.

The issue there is if she has the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) in her ESA, and has she also has PIP then it sounds like she will have.
    (If she has been living alone, and no one was claiming Carers Allowance for looking after her then she should ahve SDP).
    Although that is now compensated for in a move to UC she will still get slightly less than she did with ESA. (17 a week less).

Her PIP will not be affected at all.
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-11-21 at 14:38.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.