Thread: One eye surgery but 2 eyes needed

One eye surgery but 2 eyes needed

Hi
    I am booked in for cataract surgery, but they are only doing one eye at the moment and the other one can take up to 12 to 18 months to get done.
    I am very worried about this as i live extremely rural, doctors 30miles away, nearest hospital 60miles nearest large supermarket 50 miles, also a carer and have other health conditions which makes me immunosuppressed. So driving is very important to me.
    I heard horror stories about people not being able to see properly or even drive with one eye done and one not, apparently the brain rejects it even if you get prescription glasses from the optician. i covered one eye up and i would not be able to drive just with one eye and i kept on bumping into things.
    Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfruits View Post
    Hi
    I am booked in for cataract surgery, but they are only doing one eye at the moment and the other one can take up to 12 to 18 months to get done.
    I am very worried about this as i live extremely rural, doctors 30miles away, nearest hospital 60miles nearest large supermarket 50 miles, also a carer and have other health conditions which makes me immunosuppressed. So driving is very important to me.
    I heard horror stories about people not being able to see properly or even drive with one eye done and one not, apparently the brain rejects it even if you get prescription glasses from the optician. i covered one eye up and i would not be able to drive just with one eye and i kept on bumping into things.
    Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.
    I've had cataract surgery with no issues what so ever. What you have is a condition known as fear of the unknown. This is worse than any other medical condition on earth.
    Once surgery done it's amazing with what you can see and do. I had both my eyes done within a couple of months of each other. One of my eyes has little sight due to a fixed squint as a child which wasn't spotted. I can drive with no problems at all. Op is all over and done within about 20mins.

@reddivine might be able to reassure you on this. Having had both eyes done a while back.

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    I had very poor eyesight all my life being only a one eyed person but was able to hold a HGV & a PSV driving licence all my adult life.
    Being myopic is not always a reason to stop driving but ASK YOUR DOCTOR OR CONSULTANT FOR THEIR OPINION REGARDING YOU DRIVING, They know best.

I had to give up driving four years or so ago due to eye problems.