Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link To Check If It's A Power Cut

Link To Check If It's A Power Cut

Just had a power cut, absolutely everything except the TV went off. Even everything else electrical went off except the T.V in the same room!?

This threw me as I wondered if it was a power cut or something tripped my switches in the electric box. My neighbours were still on. Then I remembered i had an email saved in my gmail account to check for power cuts.

Found it on my phone as home broadband obviously wasn't working. So I thought I would link it here for people to put it on their phones in case their power goes off. You just put your postcode in then it tells you if it's off what's causing it & when it's going to come back on in real time so it says.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut

Lights dimming slightly so fingers crossed it stays on now

Odd that your TV stayed on, does it have a battery perhaps?

I got a text yesterday from Electricity North West (the power network) warning of high winds and the possibility of power cuts.
    Looks like I've somehow ended up on their 'vulnerable customer' list.

They have a power cut checker too: https://www.enwl.co.uk/

It's a good job smartphones can still connect during a cut or you wouldn't be able to get to the websites, but if the phone masts also lose power then you are out of luck.
    The masts do usually have battery/generator backups so the phones will keep working at least for a while.

PS. Your broadband might still work during a power cut if you connect to the router by cable rather than wifi, it depends on your router.
    Alternatively you could invest in a mini UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) to keep the router (or anything lese) powered up for a while during any power cut.
    https://www.guidingtech.com/best-ups...s-modems--buy/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I don't know if it's got a battery though I don't think so because the first time I phoned elderly relative their supply was still on when only my TV was on. The second time I phoned them while on the phone all their power went out at the same time my TV went out. So for some wired reason all but the sockets for my TV are on one electric cable which is the same ones that power elderly relatives home a very short distance away.

Driving family member also lives a very short distance away & their power flicked but stayed on. Just like my two neighbours who didn't loose power at all. Just me sat in the dark then

I've book marked that page Nuke, thanks I will have a read through.

I'm having a nightmare kitchen electrical appliance wise this year. In August my fridge freezer broke, driving family member had to come & rescue my food. Last week both my ovens small top one & big bottom one on my cooker decided to not get hotter than tepid & lunch time today my microwave decided it was going down the tepid temperature route too. So that's up the spout also

Please tell me that three things gone wrong now so that's the last of it

Sounds like you need your wiring checked over.

If you are renting the landlord has to get that done that every 5 years.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Funny enough 4 weeks ago I had to let a man in to check the electrics because it had been 5 years. I phoned them & made him have a covid test before he came that morning.

Even more funny when the same man was here 5 years ago I had my cooker delivered that's just broken. Hughes were supposed to connect it but dumped it in the middle of the kitchen floor & said no, because there was not a label for the kitchen on the switch box. So this man came back later & connected for me free.

When he came this time we laughed & said don't worry the cookers still working.

Defo less electric power to my home tonight lights are dull & the cooker is taking longer to heat up since yesterdays power cut. But before yesterdays power cut cooker was working great so now thinking that's why the microwave's not working hardly at all. Oh well new microwaves coming Sunday.

I might have to call the electric company & let them know

I went on their website & they are on twitter, so I tweeted them to ask if they could help as I have reduced electric power since Thursday night's power cut. They have logged it & have given me a ref number. Asked if I'm in all weekend, my address & phone number. They asked if there are any covid concerns for them. I said no I've not got covid but my concerns are that I'm extremely Vulnerable & if anyone needs to come in they need to take a covid test first.

They said they will get someone on it asap. I didn't know you could ask them because on their website it just say's if there's a power cut let them know.

Have you paid your last bill ??

Yes I did thanks for the laugh I needed it

Stay warm & Safe x

You are more than welcome, have a great weekend.

Thank You gus607 you too

Well Microwave was struggling to make me lunch. Then 20 mins ago someone knocked at the door, lovely man he said yes it's low power coming to me & that he has strengthened the power from somewhere up the roads cable to give me a better power supply. He said switch things on & try while he goes back & tests it again.

So I switched the microwave on, filled the kettle up & boiled that & put the oven on.

The microwave works much better sounds like normal I think, the kettle was quicker boiling & the oven was on it's way to reaching temp. He came back I told him he said that's great. They don't know if it's a problem with a cable or what's causing it so someone will come & check out what the problem is start of next week to see what's causing it & fix it.

The oven usually takes 11 mins to reach 200 yesterday I had to put 250 to get it to 200 & over ops (burnt turkey thigh) & today it reached 200 in 13 mins so that's good enough to not ruin today's dinner. So the new microwave that's arriving tomorrow will be put in the cupboard for when the microwave does break.

Or should I get it out & see if it works hmm. Trouble is if I do that I won't be able to get it back in the box again probably