Thread: what triggers a new PCA when in support group

what triggers a new PCA when in support group

I have been in the support group of ESA contribution based since it started and on Incapacity Benefit back to the 1990s.

In 2012 filled out ESA50 and did not need to go to an assessment. The nurse looking at my ESA50 and paperwork decided work related activity unlikely in the longer term . I have not heard from, them since. I got a copy of the report where the Healthcare Practitioners report stated this.

Now getting on for 10 years later I am wondering why I have gone this long without any further ESA50 Could anyone have an idea why and has this happened to them ? I mean of course I am happy with it but a little uneasy . If they put work related activity unlikely in the longer term but do not put a date for review what happens ?

Have others here experienced a near 10 years without a PCA process ?

Also I was thinking of changing bank accounts . Some banks are offering 100 plus to transfer current accounts and the transfer system would take care of the direct debits and all other issues like that, I'm worried that the DWP whose payments go direcvt into my present current account could be triggered by any action like this into reviewing my casefile in some way That they might wake up to my sleeping file ? Any opinions ?

Thank you

I'd say it is not a problem at all.

It looks that in 2012 you were given a 'longer term' 10 year review, it's not been 10 years yet.

But above that things have changed in those 9 years and they are much more aware that they shouldn't be bothering those who are not going to get any better.

There is now something called a '10 year Light-Touch' review.
    Nobody knows yet exactly what that 'Light Touch' means, but probably just paperwork at their end and not bothering claimants with new ESA50's maybe just an "has anything changed" letter.

But changing your bank details is just something that happens now and again - it's not going to cause them to do anything other than send your money to the new account instead of the old one.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nukecad. My understanding is the 10 year light touch applies to PIP and not to ESA ? But I can imagine they may introduce something similar perhaps. Be great if it does apply to ESA

Yes they are also applying 10 year awards in ESA for 'not expected to improve' cases, they have always been able to. (As you know because you got one back in 2012).

It was already in the legislation for both ESA and PIP that 10 year awards could be made.

Although the 'Light-Touch Review' bit was a new thing for both.

The big difference that got all the press coverage was that they decided to apply 10 year awards automatically for everyone over State Pension Age.
    So all the press was about pensioners on PIP getting 10 year awards with Light-Touch review automatically and ESA was hardly mentioned, but that's simply because ESA is a 'Working Age' benefit and stops at SPA anyway, so pensioners don't qualify for ESA.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-11-21 at 12:27.

Did the 10 years for ESA exist in 2012?

Yes, all ESA awards are 'Ongoing' meaning that there is no fixed end date. It has always been that way.

It's only the date when you are expected to have a review/reassessment that can vary.
    If you are found 'Work is unlikely in the longer term' then the DWP would (still will) set that at 10 years.

There was a change in 2017 that meant some would never be called for an ESA/UC reassessment, not even at 10 years.
    (Well maybe just once and then no more).

From the House of Commons briefing paper: https://researchbriefings.files.parl...0/CBP-7820.pdf
    Since 29 September 2017, some Employment Support Allowance and Universal Credit claimants with the most severe health conditions and disabilities have been exempt from future reassessments. Claimants meet the “severe conditions criteria” if they have been assessed as having a “limited capability for work-related activity”; have a severe, lifelong disability, illness or health condition; and are unlikely to ever be able to move into work.
    On 29 September 2017, the DWP announced that ESA claimants in the Support Group and Universal Credit claimants with limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA) will no longer need to be reassessed if they-

• have a severe, lifelong disability, illness or health condition; and
    • are unlikely to ever be able to move into work

Claimants will be told if they will not be reassessed following their WCA. This means that if a person has not undergone an assessment since September 2017, they will have to be reassessed for it to be determined whether they meet the “severe conditions” criteria for switching off future reassessments.
    PS. That briefing paper also covers the changes made to PIP awards, including automatic 'ongoing' awards for pensioners.

It's important to remember that:
    Unless it's 'ongoing' then PIP does have a set end date, and the PIP award automatically stops at that date unless a new award has been made.
    ESA/UC-LC* is always 'ongoing' and does not have any set end date.
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-11-21 at 11:33.

Interesting I remember reading somewhere there was originally a maximum 3 year cap for prognosis date.

Note I am talking about reassessment date not termination date, I knew it was always ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    Interesting I remember reading somewhere there was originally a maximum 3 year cap for prognosis date.
    That's correct, but it's not quite the full story.

3 years was/is the longest prognosis set time the assessors can recommend - but they could/can also recommend ''Work is unlikely in the longer term'' which isn't a set time.

The DWP usually just go with a 'X' years prognosis recommendation.

But the DMs would have had to think about ''Work is unlikely in the longer term'' for each case, which could have ended up with different DMs setting different periods for the same circumstances.
    You'll always get some people being stricter than others if left without guidance.

So for consitency the DWP decided to tell DMs that all ''Work is unlikely in the longer term'' recommendations would be looked at again every 10 years.
    They could have picked 3, or 5, or 8, or any other number of years that they fancied, but decided on 10 as being 'reasonable'.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-12-21 at 15:30.