Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've just claimed UC!

Was thinking It's strange that they don't ask to see your Birth Certificate anymore

Birth Certificate is top of the second list, but isn't needed if you have two out of the others (or have already shown them in the 1st list):

In my case the CT statement and Debit Card were the 2 needed, so she didn't need to see my Birth Certificate even though I had it with me.

Bring 2 of the following:
    Birth certificate
    Council Tax statement
    NHS medical card
    Building society passbook
    Recent bank or building society statement
    Debit or charge card (if not already provided)
    Passport (if not already provided)
    Full or provisional UK driving licence (if not already provided)
    Local authority rent card
    Marriage or civil partnership certificate
    Registration or naturalisation certificate (if not already provided)
    Tenancy agreement
    Non-UK driving licence
    Young Scot card (if not already provided)
    Citizen card (if not already provided)
    Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) rent card
    Land and Property Services Rates documents
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Is there somewhere that calculates what you'll get if you move over?

Also, if you don't have a passport or driving license, is there any way to verify your ID online?

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Is there somewhere that calculates what you'll get if you move over?

Also, if you don't have a passport or driving license, is there any way to verify your ID online?
    The Entitledto calculator can do it;
    If you tell it to calculate your current legacy benefits then at the end you can see an indication of what you would get with UC.
    If you try to do it as just UC it will calculate for a new UC claim, and so may not carry over and include everything it should.
    Like any calculator (or person) it can only go off what you tell it.

I'm probably being over-cautious, however even when done as a legacy calculation I'd still be wary of it being correct about the UC equivalent in all possible circumstances. And so you should double check.
    Most calculations should be alright, but there is always the possibility of odd benefit quirks that it maybe can't account for. For example I'm not sure how it would handle any Transition Addition still being paid from the IB/IS to ESA transfers.
    It did get mine correct, but I only knew that because I'd already done it myself and was just using it to check my calcs. (and for the Council Tax which is more difficult to calculate so I hadn't even tried myself).

Without a passport or driving licence neither of the two online verification methods (government gateway or Gov UK Verify) will work.
    So it's down to the jobcentre for an ID interview, (or a home visit if you can't manage that for health reasons).
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-11-21 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    The Entitledto calculator can do it;
    If you tell it to calculate your current legacy benefits then at the end you can see an indication of what you would get with UC.
    If you try to do it as just UC it will calculate for a new UC claim, and so may not carry over and include everything it should.
    Like any calculator (or person) it can only go off what you tell it.

I'm probably being over-cautious, however even when done as a legacy calculation I'd still be wary of it being correct about the UC equivalent in all possible circumstances. And so you should double check.
    Most calculations should be alright, but there is always the possibility of odd benefit quirks that it maybe can't account for. For example I'm not sure how it would handle any Transition Addition still being paid from the IB/IS to ESA transfers.
    It did get mine correct, but I only knew that because I'd already done it myself and was just using it to check my calcs. (and for the Council Tax which is more difficult to calculate so I hadn't even tried myself).

Without a passport or driving licence neither of the two online verification methods (government gateway or Gov UK Verify) will work.
    So it's down to the jobcentre for an ID interview, (or a home visit if you can't manage that for health reasons).

Thanks so much for this.

More UC fun.

email at 15:14 yesterday:
    Your jobcentre appointment at 10:00am on Tuesday 30 November 2021 has changed. Your appointment is now at 9:30am on Tuesday 30 November 2021.
    Then again at 15:40
    Your jobcentre appointment at 9:30am on Tuesday 30 November 2021 has changed. Your appointment is now at 9:30am on Friday 3 December 2021.
    So messaged on the journal that 9:30 is not acceptable and it has to be 10:00 or later, no reply yet.
    (ENCTS bus passes cannot be used before 9:30 and it takes me 20 mins to get down to the jobcentre on the bus, so I'd have to pay to get to an appointment before 10).

Obviously DWP are not listening.
    I had a similar thing happen last week. Hospital rang, can I go in that afternoon for a pre op assessment. I just said, read my notes, I am on holiday and the dates are down. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Update- My ESA has been paid into the bank today (a day early).

I'll have to check the numbers, but it looks like 2 weeks and 2 days which is what I was expecting for a final payment.

Do you have to keep going to the job centre Nuke, or is it because they are sorting you out?

Pleased the money has gone in early

I'm going to the jobcentre because that is normal for a new UC claim.

When you claim UC if you can't verify ID online (eg. No DL or passport) then you have to go to the JC to do it, or have a home visit if you can't physically get to the JC.

Then there is the Claimant Commitment appointment.
    Even when it's obvious what your CC will be they still have to do it face-to-face (if physically possible) because of the way the law is written.

They did stop both of those during covid, (which is now causing some problems) but they are back in place again.

Once these initial things are done then I don't expect to have to go to the JC any more often than I did with ESA.

TBH I'm just reporting what is happening with me for others who may be intetested or even considering it themselves. It's always good to know what to expect.
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-11-21 at 10:25.