Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've just claimed UC!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

TBH I'm just reporting what is happening with me for others who may be intetested or even considering it themselves. It's always good to know what to expect.
    Absolutely & thank you for doing it.

Arh I understand now that it's setting things up

Three letters today;

Two from ESA about my claim ending and what that means.
    One from the council containing 2 letters, the first about my HB ending, the second about paying the 2 week run on of HB to my landlord.

Even when my claim has closed ESA can't get their letters right.
    The first one says:
    We cannot pay you an allowance from 28 November 2021. This is because:

You are required to claim Universal Credit.
    Numpties; they can't pay it because I've already claimed UC.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

A small success,

in response to the note I put on my journal they have moved my CC appointment again to a more reasonable time of 10:45 next Wednesday.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 12:04.

I've now had my Claimant Commitment meeting at the Jobcentre, I know that some will be wondering about what that meeting is like for when they have to have one.

This should be about typical for those transfering from ESA WRAG.
    (Those transferring from Support Group can usually do it on their journal rather than going to the JC. Plus they don't have a work coach, because they are not expected to do any work related activities).

• It was about a 15 minute chat, no pressure.
    • She told me how UC works (I told her I knew already).
    • We talked about if I was confident with technolgy (if I had broadband access etc), and if I'd be OK keeping up with the journal.
    • She offered a short (couple of hours?) training course about all that if I wanted to do one. I got the impression it was more of a 'how to use your journal' thing, they probably hold one or two every week.
    • We talked briefly about the CV I had uploaded previously.
    • We talked about what activities I'd done on ESA WRAG and what I was still doing.
    • We agreed on the wording of what she should put down as the "What I'll do" in my Commitments. (If you are LCW then you need to say you'll do something and importantly how that something might help you find work in future).

My LCW Claimant Commitment is written as:
    Activities

What I'll do

I've agreed with my work coach that I'll:
    • continue to provide benefit advice on the Youreable Forum. This will improve my computer skills and could improve job opportunities.

Voluntary activities
    I have not discussed any voluntary activities.

Hours per week
    I'll spend 16 hours a week preparing for work.

Meetings with my work coach
    I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.
    Using my online account

I'll sign into my account often to:
    • complete all activities in my to-do list
    • report changes to my circumstances promptly, including changes to work
    If I cannot get online, I'll report any changes by calling Universal Credit.
    That was posted as a 'To-Do' on my journal so that I could click the box to accept it once I'd got home.
    (If I'd wanted I could ask on the journal for it to be changed before accepting it).

All of that is actually less than my 'Work Related Activity Plan' was in ESA WRAG. (Apart from the journal bit of course).
    That ESA plan said 16 hours as well, nobody ever asked or checked about hours.

My next appointment is for a Work Focused Interview on 1st March 2022.

A couple of points I picked up while talking to her:
    • The "I'll spend 16 hours a week preparing for work." is the standard default they put for anyone on UC-LCW.
      It could vary of course depending on circumstances, say if you'd had an accident or an operation and would only be LCW for a few months while recovering then they might ask you to do more, or if you had a job to go back to maybe less.
      They won't be checking. As long as you can reasonably say that you are doing something they are happy enough.
    • The 12 weeks (3 months) to the next appointment is also the 'standard' for those on UC-LCW.
      Again that could vary depending on your circumstances, or how busy your jobcentre is, or if we have another lockdown, or ....

And that's it, the next thing I get should be the notification of how much my December payment will be and how it's been worked out.
    You get one of those about 6 days before your payments each month, maybe less if a weekend intervenes or if there is something complicated to work out that month, so that you can check it and query anything before it gets paid.

PS. One important thing I have noticed about that commitment is something that is missing.
    It doesn't have the standard first line that all UC CC's used to have - "I'll do everything that I can to find work or earn more." - that standard line used to unnecessarily worry a lot of people, especially those who were migrating from ESA Support Group, so it looks as if the DWP may have seen sense and dropped it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 12:11.

My first UC real stupidity has arrived.

I have today been given a To-do on my UC account- "Confirm previous earnings from work" Due by Tuesday 28 December 2021.

Interestingly looking on the journal it doesn't say anything about that at all but instead says that yesterday they sent me "Other benefits affecting your Universal Credit", which I'd already had back last month.

Of course I've been claiming ESA since 2011 so have no previous work or earnings to declare.
    Oddly the form to declare previous earnings goes back to November 2020, a year before I even claimed UC.

I tried to fill it in with zero amounts but the form won't accept zeros so it can't be submitted.
    Edit - I've worked out how to do that now. (you need to put 0 pounds and 00 pence)

I've put a note on the journal, let's see what they come back with.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 12:17.

I got my statement for my first payment today.

All is correct and exactly as I had calculated it, (no problem at all with paying the LCW Element which could have been the tricky because not all LCW is paid), except that there is a deduction missing.

When I moved flat back in June I got a Budgeting Loan from the DWP and was still paying that off from my ESA.
    From what I had read that should have been migrated and continued as a deduction from UC; but it isn't there at all.
    I'm not going to query it until next week, after the money has gone into my bank.

EDIT.
    Reading more in the regs and guidance it seems that deductions are not automatically transferred from Legacy Benefits to UC, but have to be set up again in UC.

It's all a bit vague about how that should happen though.
    With deductions for fuel, water, and the like the company would have to apply again, this time to UC, but don't need your consent if they already had it before.
    For a Budgeting Loan or similar that you owe the DWP it just says they will continue to take it from benefits.
    Reading between the lines I'm guessing that ESA will pass the remaining loan balance on to 'Debt Management' who will then check if you are getting another benefit they can take it from.
    So in a way it should be automatic, but it's not covered by the migration regs so may take time.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 11:32.

My first UC payment went in the bank today (and the DD for rent went straight out).

No problems all as expected.

All the other DDs I've set up don't start till next month so that's a bit of an xmas bonus.

There is still that stupid 'To-do' about earnings, I've worked out how to get it to accept zero amounts (you need to put 0 pounds and 00 pence) but I'm not happy making a false declaration that I had no gaps from employment when I wasn't employed.
    Still no response in the journal.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 11:32.

I've now had the following put on my UC journal about the "Confirm previous earnings from work" to-do:
    You can confirm the final declaration, our system sometimes do not word things properly.
    I assure you, this is all correct from universal credit point of view.
    Well duh, I already know that the DWPs wording is pants.

I do like the "all correct from universal credit point of view", so that would be different from everyone else's view then.

I've done the form with all zero earnings and submitted it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-21 at 12:17.

A letter about Council Tax Relief has now arrived through the post.

As expected I still don't have to pay any council tax.

It was a bit confusing at first because there are 2 letters in the envelope, one of them 4 pages with two lots of CT calculations and rates, and one talking about Housing Benefit.

Working it all out from the dates given:
    The HB one, and the first set of calculations on the CT one, cover the 2 week run-on of ESA, and so also HB.
    During that run-on I was still 'passported' to full HB and full Council Tax Relief by still having ESA.
    (TBH that is their internal account balancing and I didn't realy need to see it. I believe that they are legally required to send it out though).

The second set of calculations were about how my new UC affects CTR, and showed that I still had nothing to pay.
    (TBH it would have been simpler to work out if they had only sent that one).

Just an update on the Budgeting Loan query.

My WC has confirmed that deductions don't automatically transfer over, and that ESA will probably send it to 'Debt Management' for action.

So I'll see if a deduction turns up this month and if not I'll ring Debt Management to try and forestall any problems.