Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with Motability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Motability_Russ

Help me with Motability

Hi Guys
    I am a newcomer to the site and really want to get as much information as possible.
    I recently started working as a Motability car salesman and am looking to expand the amount of people that I can help to become more mobile. I am reletivey new to the whole Motability scheme and only had a basic knowledge of the scheme before starting this job. There are several things that I like about this job and I can tell already that I am going to really enjoy it, the first thing that I love about the job is that I can genuinely help people with becoming more mobile. I am also not tied down by the usual constraints that apply to sales people as the figures that I deal with are fairly set in stone and very fair in the first place. This pricing avoids entirely the often agressive and pushy sales pitch that is implemented by some sales people and I can simply offer people a great deal and ensure that they get exactly what they want. Whilst I have done all my research and have spent many hours swatting up on motability and its many rules I have had little opportunity to actually speak to motability customers and ask them how they find the process and what things could be improved. I would love to hear from any motability customers and find out exactly how they find the process and mistakes that I should avoid making. Please If you are a Motability customer then do not hesitate to get in touch with me either to find out specifics about motability and eligibility information or to help me to improve the service offered. I am currently located at Southport Honda and would love to meet more current and prospective motability customers If I am not contactable via the forum then please feel free to pop-in and see me or ring me on 01704500501 and I will be happy to listen and try to help. I assure you I am not the typical pushy sales person, I am here to help and am commited to getting people the right car, if that happens to be a car that they can buy from me then fantastic but if not then I will gladly point them in a different direction to make sure they are not having to live with a car that is not absolutely ideal for them.
    Russell Elliot

This maybe better posted in the Motoring section.

Also by leaving your contact details and a link to your dealership's website you are in fact acting just like a salesman.

To help it would be nice to know:
    1. What is your background/an introduction?
    2. Have you had any contact with people with disabilities in your home life?
    3. Have you undergone any training which puts you in a better position to give advise on any manufacturers cars?
    4. Does your dealership have automatics available for test drives?

Can you space-out your posts as it makes it difficult to read when it's all in one block?

Thanks
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Motability_Russ
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the tips, now I have read back what I wrote yesterday I can see that what I had intended as helpful contact information does come across as a rather blunt sales pitch and for that I apologise. Whilst I am a salesman I do feel that my job is far more personal and that what I do is genuinely helpful to people.

I know that there has been a history of the people in my job position focussing too much on getting high sales as opposed to helping people get exactly what they need and ensuring the whole experience is a pleasant one. I do not have a sales background and am glad that working in motability and having products that are genuinely brilliant quality allows me to be completely honest and avoid any of the embellishment employed by far too many car salespeople.

You are right that that was definitely in the wrong section and I will post another introduction about ME rather than simply my job and post only information that is relative. I also really took note of the spacing of posts and will in future ensure that they are a little easier to read as I felt as if my head was going to explode when I tried reading my own post back.
    Thanks again Paul

No problem Russ,

I'm sorry I forgot to say welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to people especially with your knowledge of the 'dark side'

Cheers
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Motability_Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    No problem Russ,

I'm sorry I forgot to say welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to people especially with your knowledge of the 'dark side'

Cheers
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for the welcome, I really do hope that I can be helpful to people through this forum and that I can find out far more about the motability process from the other side and find out what people would like to be changed and improved. I am gaining a better knowledge of the actual motability process eveyday and would be more than happy to answer any questions that people have regarding motability.

Thanks

My view about Motability

Hi Russ
    As you are asking for people their opinions about Motability, I will be quite blunt and tell you how I feel about Motability

I think it is a con and a rip off. Fair enough people get a brand new car, but it not free as many people think it. Also the Salespeople and Motability should be honest and tell the first time customer that they will entirely lose their No Claims bonus. This has happened to me,I have lost 8 years no claim bonus andI have been driving for 20 years without any accidents. I will have to go back as a New Driver with 1 year no claims "thanks to" Motability when I buy my car.

Also another thing I am not happy with is: when you go to Motability they do not facilitate Hire Purchase, ignore the nearly £9k paid over 3 years and want the retail value of the car plus a profit. our current motab car is worth £5k and they asked for £8895 for a nissan note that had got reccurent electrical faults (central locking not working with a locked boot since end nov 2012, mirror not shutting).
    As for the Hire purchase Motability makes up some numbers, the interests do not match the figures and they refuse to send the loan contract in the post

It isi cheaper to buy a pre reg car and run it yourself. the cost of MOT, insurance and servicing does not add to 3k a year.

Anyway i wished I had never applied for it. Good luck in your new job. At the end of the day you are a Salesman looking after your own interest first

Quote Originally Posted by mLV View Post
    Hi Russ
    As you are asking for people their opinions about Motability, I will be quite blunt and tell you how I feel about Motability

I think it is a con and a rip off. Fair enough people get a brand new car, but it not free as many people think it. Also the Salespeople and Motability should be honest and tell the first time customer that they will entirely lose their No Claims bonus. This has happened to me,I have lost 8 years no claim bonus andI have been driving for 20 years without any accidents. I will have to go back as a New Driver with 1 year no claims "thanks to" Motability when I buy my car.

Also another thing I am not happy with is: when you go to Motability they do not facilitate Hire Purchase, ignore the nearly £9k paid over 3 years and want the retail value of the car plus a profit. our current motab car is worth £5k and they asked for £8895 for a nissan note that had got reccurent electrical faults (central locking not working with a locked boot since end nov 2012, mirror not shutting).
    As for the Hire purchase Motability makes up some numbers, the interests do not match the figures and they refuse to send the loan contract in the post

It isi cheaper to buy a pre reg car and run it yourself. the cost of MOT, insurance and servicing does not add to 3k a year.

Anyway i wished I had never applied for it. Good luck in your new job. At the end of the day you are a Salesman looking after your own interest first
    You are attacking the Motability scheme rather than adding to the experience this guy is seeking. If you feel the scheme is not for you fine. I was a customer of Motability but decided to buy my own car, it was a decision based on the type of car I wanted. With regards to NCD, some companies do accept proof that you have not had an accident can give you a level of discount. The same would be true if you had a company insured car, its not just a Motability.

My experience is that some sales people are fantastic and some are not. I've been to BMW, Saab and Audi dealers, both Motability and not, who could not care less. Then again, Ford and Jaguar, plus old Rover, were fantastic.

What do I want from a dealer, to be treated fair. If you can't offer my what I want say so. Treat me as a real person, my money is as good as anybody else's. I'm doing you a favour by being in your dealership, you are not doing me a favour.

This applies whether you are a Motability customer or not. I once received very bad service from a BMW dealer that I return after privately buying a very expensive Jaguar to show him what he missed. My passing comment was to treat all customers with respect, and added that he didn't drive either a BMW or Jaguar himself

Motability_Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    You are attacking the Motability scheme rather than adding to the experience this guy is seeking. If you feel the scheme is not for you fine. I was a customer of Motability but decided to buy my own car, it was a decision based on the type of car I wanted. With regards to NCD, some companies do accept proof that you have not had an accident can give you a level of discount. The same would be true if you had a company insured car, its not just a Motability.

My experience is that some sales people are fantastic and some are not. I've been to BMW, Saab and Audi dealers, both Motability and not, who could not care less. Then again, Ford and Jaguar, plus old Rover, were fantastic.

What do I want from a dealer, to be treated fair. If you can't offer my what I want say so. Treat me as a real person, my money is as good as anybody else's. I'm doing you a favour by being in your dealership, you are not doing me a favour.

This applies whether you are a Motability customer or not. I once received very bad service from a BMW dealer that I return after privately buying a very expensive Jaguar to show him what he missed. My passing comment was to treat all customers with respect, and added that he didn't drive either a BMW or Jaguar himself
    I appreciate that the Motability scheme is not for everyone and in some cases it probably doesn't mount up financially but I think that the point of the scheme is to give those that qualify motoring that does not carry with it the worries that can put so many people off. With regards the finances I think the scheme proves itself in the fact that it offers a range of cars that require absolutely no advanced payment, and they're not rubbish or basic either for example Honda offer a £16995 civic that doesn't require any advanced payment, thats a lot of car to get for no innitial payment. After this the customer hasn't got to worry about insurance, breakdown cover, servicing and maintenance, tires or even tax, when you add all these costs together and consider the fact that the insurance can cover two drivers on the car I think it makes sense for a lot of people.

with regards to service I am aware that many dealerships reserve an illogical stigma for motability customers, I really have no idea why so many dealerships treat their motability customers with such dis-regard and frankly I hope that people entirely avoid them and they lose their accreditation. I am lucky enough to deal only in motability and hope to offer the best levels of customer service that I can humanly offer, it annoys me to think that the image of motability is tarnished by shady salespeople that are only interested in getting people off the forecourt in a car whether it suits them or not. I may be a salesman but I do not wish to be tarred with the same brush as those aggressive and inconsiderate salespeople as I would not be happy unless my customer genuinely benefitted from their car and it suited their needs perfectly.

Anyway I've gone on something of a rant here (again) but i think that my point is valid as many people do benefit from the scheme and it is a great way for people to get a great car for what amounts to very little.
    kind regards
    Russell elliot

Quote Originally Posted by mLV View Post
    Hi Russ

Think you are a bit harsh on Motability. Its a good package at the end of the day. A new car for three years, plus insurance,servicing included, all for exchange of your higher rate DLA. If you leave the scheme, then paying for a car yourself, you will see the difference. Cars arent worth owning outright brand new, as they depreciate quickly. Yes, the NCB can be a problem, but there are some insurance companies that will take your NCB from Motability. I know what I would rather have, Motability or buying my own car outright new. Motabiliy would still win, as they pay for the adaptions, which are expensive.

Yes, Motability do offer the going rate for your car if you want to buy it after 3 years lease. Thats to be expected though, they want some return for the car when it goes back. Your choice if you want to buy it or not.
    Last edited by CTCELT88; 20-01-13 at 18:19.

lorraine
    Why don't you give your Mobility Component back then and pay for your own car, how ungrateful are you!! How can a free car be a rip off, if you ever loose your award you may realise how much you were saving. You make me angry.