Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Still on DLA at 68 but my condition has changed

  1. #1

    Still on DLA at 68 but my condition has changed

    As the title says I am still on DLA.
    But my comorbidity’s are now getting significantly worse.
    I now intend to report a change of circumstances in my health.
    My question is will I be assessed for PIP if I do this.
    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    At 68 you are over state pension age so will remain on DLA.

    If you were born before 8 April 1948 then you will stay on DLA as long as you are still eligible.

    Any change of circumstances reported will come under DLA rules.

    Note though that once over SPA there can be no increase to any existing mobility award in either DLA or PIP.
    Only the Care/Daily living can be increased once over SPA.

    That's to bring them in line with Attendance Allowance which doesn't have a mobility component.
    It's assumed that over SPA any deterioration in mobility is due to old age and not to disability.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-11-21 at 17:59.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    At 68 you are over state pension age so will remain on DLA.

    If you were born before 8 April 1948 then you will stay on DLA as long as you are still eligible.

    Any change of circumstances reported will come under DLA rules.

    Note though that once over SPA there can be no increase to any existing mobility award in either DLA or PIP.
    Only the Care/Daily living can be increased once over SPA.

    That's to bring them in line with Attendance Allowance which doesn't have a mobility component.
    It's assumed that over SPA any deterioration in mobility is due to old age and not to disability.
    Thanks for reply Nuke.
    I was born in 1953 so assumed even though I am of pensionable age I was to be eventually moved to pip.
    Also reading on pension forum it states.
    MOVING FROM DLA TO PIP

    When you’ll start claiming PIP
    You’ll be asked to make a claim for PIP when any of the following happen:

    your DLA ends because it was awarded for a fixed period of time - eg for 5 years
    you turn 16
    your condition changes
    the DWP sends you a letter asking you to claim.

    I intend to inform the DLA my condition has changed as my comorbidities have got significantly worse over the last couple of year.
    At the moment I'm on higher mobility and lower care.
    But now need a lot more help with my care.
    Last edited by microbar; 03-11-21 at 00:13.

  4. #4
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    I was a bit ambiguous in the above reply, (sorry I was on my phone and didn't have things to hand).

    You are in that in-between stage of being over SPA, so some things apply, but born after April 1948 so other things also apply.

    Being born after April 1948 then at some time you were liable to get a letter telling you that you had to change to PIP, but they had stopped doing that during Covid.

    Because of that then reporting a change of health circumstances will mean that they want you to change to PIP instead of DLA.

    That could be disastrous for you if you get it wrong. You need to be careful.

    The rules for PIP are different to those for DLA, and how you are assessed is different - as many have found out when moving from DLA to PIP.

    So you need to talk to an advisor who can assess your dificulties and so what you are likely to be awarded under PIP.
    If it's likely to be less that your current DLA then obviously you will not want to do it until the DWP say that you have to.

    Because this will be a C-of-C change from an existing DLA then they can still award a Mobility Component in PIP at over State Pension Age - again though the qualifying rules are different (eg. the walking distances are less) so it may be lower than you already have with DLA, or they may not award PIP mobility at all.

    You realy need to be careful here and talk to an advisor local to you before reporting a change of circumstances with your health to the DWP.
    Talking to an AgeUk advisor is probably the best route in the circumstances:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I was a bit ambiguous in the above reply, (sorry I was on my phone and didn't have things to hand).

    You are in that in-between stage of being over SPA, so some things apply, but born after April 1948 so other things also apply.

    Being born after April 1948 then at some time you were liable to get a letter telling you that you had to change to PIP, but they had stopped doing that during Covid.

    Because of that then reporting a change of health circumstances will mean that they want you to change to PIP instead of DLA.

    That could be disastrous for you if you get it wrong. You need to be careful.

    The rules for PIP are different to those for DLA, and how you are assessed is different - as many have found out when moving from DLA to PIP.

    So you need to talk to an advisor who can assess your dificulties and so what you are likely to be awarded under PIP.
    If it's likely to be less that your current DLA then obviously you will not want to do it until the DWP say that you have to.

    Because this will be a C-of-C change from an existing DLA then they can still award a Mobility Component in PIP at over State Pension Age - again though the qualifying rules are different (eg. the walking distances are less) so it may be lower than you already have with DLA, or they may not award PIP mobility at all.

    You realy need to be careful here and talk to an advisor local to you before reporting a change of circumstances with your health to the DWP.
    Talking to an AgeUk advisor is probably the best route in the circumstances:
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/
    Thanks for clearing that up for my Nuke.
    I will indeed take advice before any action.
    I have been wheelchair dependent for 4 years now but my other health problems have deteriorated.
    with more help needed for care now. I am currently on low care DLA and High mobility.
    I was under the impression I had to report any change in my disability good or bad.
    As if I wait for them to eventually get round to the move from DLA to pip.
    They would say why didn't you inform us your condition worsened.
    I will see what age uk think before proceeding thanks again for your kind help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    Quote Originally Posted by microbar View Post
    I was under the impression I had to report any change in my disability good or bad.
    As if I wait for them to eventually get round to the move from DLA to pip.
    They would say why didn't you inform us your condition worsened.
    That's a: yeh but/no but.

    Yes you should report changes of circumstances.
    But they would soon get fed up if you started reporting every little change of health.

    With changes to health conditions then how much of a change is relevant?
    How are you expected to know? You are not a benefit assessor.
    That's one reason why they insisted or re-assessments every few years.

    TBH That was the governments main idea behind regular reassessments for PIP/ESA/UC-LCW; to catch the 'thousands of cheats' who were not reporting getting better.
    Now that they have been running a number of years they have seen that of course there aren't 'thousands of cheats' to be caught so are reducing the number of the reassessments, especially for PIP which now has many more 'ongoing' awards with 10 year light-touch reviews rather than reassessments.

    Plus of course if you don't report a change (or aren't reassessed as having a change) that might/would mean more money they are saving money so hardly going to complain.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That's a: yeh but/no but.

    Yes you should report changes of circumstances.
    But they would soon get fed up if you started reporting every little change of health.

    With changes to health conditions then how much of a change is relevant?
    How are you expected to know? You are not a benefit assessor.
    That's one reason why they insisted or re-assessments every few years.

    TBH That was the governments main idea behind regular reassessments for PIP/ESA/UC-LCW; to catch the 'thousands of cheats' who were not reporting getting better.
    Now that they have been running a number of years they have seen that of course there aren't 'thousands of cheats' to be caught so are reducing the number of the reassessments, especially for PIP which now has many more 'ongoing' awards with 10 year light-touch reviews rather than reassessments.

    Plus of course if you don't report a change (or aren't reassessed as having a change) that might/would mean more money they are saving money so hardly going to complain.
    Yes it seems the government would be eager to learn, if things are getting better. But not so keen if things go the other way.
    I have been looking to report changes of circumstances. not just because my care needs are more. But also its always on your mind over the last seven year or whatever its been since the announcement DLA would move over to pip. And always looking for the brown envelope coming through the letter box. I have over the last seven year asked all my consultants for letters of support. and then updated letters of support. they really must be fed up of me asking. I would be in control if I initiate this myself. And get all support letters updated. I am not sure how old these letters are allowed to go back to be valid. If the DWP initiate transfer to pip you only get a month to fill in the form and collect all your support letters etc.

    Thanks again for your input nuke will certainly get advice before doing anything else.

    But

  8. #8
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    I would be in control if I initiate this myself.
    I understand that viewpoint.

    I myself am currently considering 'migrating myself' from ESA to UC. (Yes you read that right folks).

    I don't have to migrate to UC yet, and many shouldn't yet, but I can see advantages in doing so in my particular circumstances.
    At the moment there is just one thing stopping me from doing it, it's not a block just a temporary complication that could arise, and that may be resolved in a week or two.

    But that's for another thread, which I haven't stated writing yet. (Or maybe I'll eventually add it to my existing migration thread).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-11-21 at 10:16.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Similar Threads

  1. PIP - medical condition should have improved but has new complications
    By shellshelley in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-08-19, 09:06
  2. 10 months since sending ESA back and diagnosis has changed since then
    By dmorry in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-04-14, 12:24
  3. How life has changed for Chris
    By c21 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-01-14, 10:14
  4. condition changed
    By treamber in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-10-13, 12:08
  5. Has something changed in the land of youreable?
    By RaeUK in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-12, 13:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •