Thread: Advice most welcome

Advice most welcome

Ok so this is my first posting so hello to everyone. At the moment I get PIP but sadly due to my disability deterioration I'm going to need more support so I'm thinking of making a new claim for UC or New style ESA but it's confusing, could I claim UC whilst still getting PIP?

Yes, PIP is not affected by other benefits.

Yes you can. PIP is not taken into account for UC.

As far as I am aware PIP is a totally seperate non means tested benefit & shouldn't impact on other benefits but hang around for more knowledgable members to come along & give you better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    As far as I am aware PIP is a totally seperate non means tested benefit & shouldn't impact on other benefits but hang around for more knowledgable members to come along & give you better advice.
    Thank you to all for your replies. I'll start process soon, wish me luck.

PIP is not affected by other benefits that you claim, and doesn't affect UC or New Style benefits.

But are you currently claiming any other benefits? (Housing Benefit, Old Style ESA/JSA, Income Support, child benefit, anything like that).
    If you are already claiming another benefit then things need to be looked at closely to make sure you won't lose out by claiming UC.

The question of whether to claim NS ESA or UC, or both, is generally fairly simple.

To claim NS ESA you need to have paid enough weeks NI in the two previous tax years, so unless you have been working it's unlikely that you will have paid enough (any?) NI.
    (Again there can be exeptions in special circumstances, but as you haven't mentioned any....).
    If you have been working and paying NI then it may be possible to claim NS ESA.

UC can be claimed as long as you don't have more the £16,000 in savings or capital (your home is not included as capital).
    Obviously the amount of UC you can be paid depends on your circumstances.
    Whether you have a partner/children or not, what age you are, if you pay rent whether it's a private or social rental, any other benefits you get (besides PIP), whether you are able to work or not, and so on.

If you can claim both, and do so, then any money you get paid for NS ESA will be deducted £ for £ from the UC payments.

To start with you should put your details into one (or more) of the benefit calculators here (Personally I prefer the Entitledto calculator):
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

They ask all the questions needed and will then tell you what you can/should claim and how much you should get.

(Note though that the calculator are geared towards brand new claims - as said above if you are already getting Old Style ESA or JSA, or IB/IS then they might give the wrong answer unless you are careful how you enter that information into the calculators - if it is the case that you are on a legacy benefit already then come back here for more advice).
    Last edited by nukecad; 30-10-21 at 13:29.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.