Thread: PIP Renewal Help Please.

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham

PIP Renewal Help Please.

My PIP renewal form arrived today (PIP 1043) & on page 6 under WHAT NOT TO SEND, it say's A SUPPORTING LETTER FROM YOUR GP. I alway's thought it was a good idea to provide as much information as possible.
    Am I missing something ? Your thoughts are welcome.
    Thank you.

Send whatever you have that is relevant.

The reason they put that is because it has been evidenced (by advisors not the DWP) that some people have paid up to 50 or more a time for GP letters that don't help at all.
    Some are nothing more than lists of conditions and meds, which should be free anyway if you ask.
    Some go further but still have nothing to do with the assessment desctiptors so are useless for an assessment.

It would be clearer if they said 'Don't pay greedy practice managers specially for a GP letter' - but that might upset the General Medical Council
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thankfully I saved my money & didn't bother with a Dr's letter / report but just sent off recent consultant letter the DWP had not been aware of. I found out later after talking to one of my GPs receptionists that my Dr does not provide letters / reports etc.

I was fortunate to be offered a telephone consultaion with my local council's welfare rights team where a young lady rang me & completed a template copy of my claim form & later posting it to me.

Exactly five weeks after the DWP received my paperwork I received a telephone call from a Decision Maker & after answering a couple of questiions about my claim he told me he would continue my present award for a period of ten years. I received the award letter less than a week after the DM phoned me which considering the Christmas holidays the DWP & Royal Mail did a first class job.

But there is more............

When the young lady rang me from welfare rights she asked if she could do a benefit check & she said something didn't seem quite right with my finances after she had all my information. One week later she rang me again to say I had been paying too much rent & council tax.
    Last week I received a back payment from the local council of nearly £1700.

Funnily enough my PIP journey commenced six years ago after scoring two points only & eventually going to the tribunal & winning my case after reading many posts on this forum, my advice is never give up if turned down by the DWP.
    Now breathing a sigh of relief.

That's amazing news gus, so very pleased for you

Thank you StarBright

To be done and dusted along with extra help forthcoming within two months is a fantastic result gus607.

I'm really pleased for you and added to a now ten year award you can now relax and perhaps treat yourself with the extra money.

It is encouraging to hear for some, a smooth, fast review is possible.

My review began in Nov 2020 and has taken over a year to get the M R result, which I now need to appeal at a tribunal. I do hope 2022 will be a better year.

Well done gus.

Well done gus.

Out of interest,is there a situation where a claimant is excused from paying any council tax at all.At the moment i receive ESA - Income Related with EDP and SDP...I also receive PIP with higher rate daily living and lower rate mobility.I live alone and pay 20% of my Council tax bill

Cheers

Each council can set it's own rules on what qualifies for Council Tax Relief, and how much reduction you will get.

Unlike Full Housing Benefit, Full CTR is not automatically passported by having other IR benefits.
    (A particular council may do that, but they don't have to and many don't).

There are some circumstances that are exempt from Council Tax for all councils:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/co...ax-disregarded

You would need to know just what your particular council's rules are and check you last Council Tax letter to see if they are applying everything they should.
    If you think that they aren't then ask them to take another look.

You could also use the Entitledto calculator to do a calculation of your current benefits entitlement, as well as checking your DWP benefits that will tell you what Council Tax you should be paying - in your area in your circumstances:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.