Thread: Phoning Maximus to ask about ESA50 delays, live referral

Phoning Maximus to ask about ESA50 delays, live referral

Hello,

I phoned CHDA recently to ask if there were any delays to sending out the ESA50. I had a prognosis review date for an ESA reassessment 2 months ago but haven't heard anything yet. I thought by asking Maximus, instead of the DWP, this wouldn't then trigger a review being set in motion. Now I'm worried because I was asked for my NI number and name, date of birth and address. I was told there was 'unfortunately' no live referral for me as yet. Will this trigger one? Too scared to phone the DWP to find out why my reassessment is delayed. I've been hoping I am one of the lucky ones who has been deferred because of the Covid backlogs. Am I being paranoid?

Thank you.

Amy

They aren't doing many ESA reassessments at the moment, things are still slow after covid.

The majority that they are doing are being done by telephone, and from the few I've heard of they are not always sending an ESA50 first.
    It's always been the case that they don't have to send an ESA50, it's only one part of the full assessment and they can just get what they need from the F2F/telephone assessment itself instead.
    Just like they can use the ESA50 for an 'assessment on paper' and not do the F2F/telephone bit.
    Usually they do both, but sometimes they only need one not both.

I wouldn't bother about calling CHDA 'triggering' an assessment - CHDA can't do that only the DWP can.
    CHDA needed your NI etc. to see if you were on their computer system as having been referred because that's all they can tell you, that enquiry wouldn't have linked to the DWP.
    (CHDA can't access anything about your claim on the DWP computers, other than emailing assessments to them).

Now if you want to find if your referral date has been changed then you would have to ask the DWP.
    But again that wouldn't change the date, although if overdue it may prompt whoever looks to either extend the date or give a referral now.

PS. There is no need for work capability assessments to be 'deferred', they can simply be left as being 'overdue'.
    ESA awards don't have an end date and so ESA payment doesn't stop even if reassessment is overdue.
    However they do like to change the referal due dates when lots of them get overdue, that's mainly to stop the computer nagging them that (thousands of) re-assessments are overdue.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy44 View Post
    Hello,

I phoned CHDA recently to ask if there were any delays to sending out the ESA50. I had a prognosis review date for an ESA reassessment 2 months ago but haven't heard anything yet. I thought by asking Maximus, instead of the DWP, this wouldn't then trigger a review being set in motion. Now I'm worried because I was asked for my NI number and name, date of birth and address. I was told there was 'unfortunately' no live referral for me as yet. Will this trigger one? Too scared to phone the DWP to find out why my reassessment is delayed. I've been hoping I am one of the lucky ones who has been deferred because of the Covid backlogs. Am I being paranoid?

Thank you.

Amy
    No asking won’t trigger a reassessment I called dwp yesterday to ask when I’m due to be reassessed this is the third time I have asked, my reassessments have been deferred for 2 years 3 times and asking has never triggered a reassessment, Maximus don’t decide when to reassess you DWP do.

Thank you Nukecad and Toby123 for your replies and reassurance.

Relieved to know my call to CHDA won't trigger anything with the DWP.

Now, it remains for me to have the courage to phone the DWP to see if they will reassess me sooner or later.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Toby123 View Post
    No asking won’t trigger a reassessment I called dwp yesterday to ask when I’m due to be reassessed this is the third time I have asked, my reassessments have been deferred for 2 years 3 times and asking has never triggered a reassessment, Maximus don’t decide when to reassess you DWP do.
    I grasped the bull by the horns... and finally phoned the DWP ESA helpline. My review being 'overdue', I asked when I can next expect to be reassessed. I was told it would not be for another 2 years - August 2023! The phone advisor (unsolicited) told me this was due to the Covid backlog and that therefore, I won't be reassessed until much later than I had expected. She was at pains to point out that I would not therefore hear about another assessment until shortly before the deferred review date. I wonder if she is right, though. Surely, these deferrals are purely administrative and once Covid is behind us, they can bring it all forward?

Strictly they could - but they won't because it's not practical to do so.

They can only do so many assessments at any time so when they start fully again they will just do the ones they should have been doing at that time anyway.

It's the way they did deferrals before when Atos got in a mess and eventually maximus took over.

I grasped the bull by the horns... and finally phoned the DWP ESA helpline. My review being 'overdue', I asked when I can next expect to be reassessed. I was told it would not be for another 2 years - August 2023! The phone advisor (unsolicited) told me this was due to the Covid backlog and that therefore, I won't be reassessed until much later than I had expected. She was at pains to point out that I would not therefore hear about another assessment until shortly before the deferred review date. I wonder if she is right, though. Surely, these deferrals are purely administrative and once Covid is behind us, they can bring it all forward?
    Well done, I know it can be nerve wracking but it’s worth it when they say you have an extra 2 years you are like yeehaaaaa lol.

Thanks Toby123. It was your reassurance that finally gave me the courage to phone and find out, instead of dreading the brown (white?) envelope day after day which has aggravated my symptoms. It means I can focus on getting well instead of getting more ill worrying about being forced back to work before I am well enough to.

Nukecad - I hope you're right that a 2 year deferral means 2 years!

I hope you're right that a 2 year deferral means 2 years!
    It always has done in the past, and I've been 2-year deferred twice in a row the past.
    I had no WCA between 2013 and 2018. (I was actually referred in 2017 but it then took them 11 months between the ESA50 and a F2F).

I've not had another since, so am well overdue but I'm not expecting one anytime soon.
    I'll ask my WC what my prognosis date is now next time I talk to her - whenever that may be?

I also was expecting review forms, as mine had been put off until January of next year, and as we know they send them out months in advance, but I rang them this morning and they told me it had been moved to January 2023.
    I know it is nervewracking, but it is worth ringing them just to put your mind at ease.