Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: new style esa

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    351

    new style esa

    Hello I have a question I receive a letter new style esa,
    a work coach will call me on tue at 3.45 the letter states you will need to agree
    to certain things to continue to receive ESA. this is known as the claimant commitments
    it will not include any work related activities
    I have being getting ESA in support group for a number of years now.
    I Have lots of different problems but one of the things is I am deaf
    I have mic and phonak system which I can use but I am worried I will not understand some point
    off the conversations I would have thought some one would have looked at the file on me
    iff any one can give me any advice I would be grateful thank,
    regards palmer

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Hello I have a question I receive a letter new style esa,
    a work coach will call me on tue at 3.45 the letter states you will need to agree
    to certain things to continue to receive ESA. this is known as the claimant commitments
    it will not include any work related activities
    I have being getting ESA in support group for a number of years now.
    I Have lots of different problems but one of the things is I am deaf
    I have mic and phonak system which I can use but I am worried I will not understand some point
    off the conversations I would have thought some one would have looked at the file on me
    iff any one can give me any advice I would be grateful thank,
    regards palmer
    Scandalous behaviour from the DWP...AGAIN.You have Therese Coffey to thank for this.I cannot offer you much advice other than to tell the truth,and point out that your Doctor is surely the best judge of your health.Good luck...Please let us all know how you get on .

  3. #3
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,108
    It is not something to worry about, it's just getting their paperwork up to date.

    It isn't actually called a Clamaint Commitment, in ESA it's called a "Work-related Activity Plan".
    (But that's the DWP work coaches for you, using the incorrect terms).

    It does seem stupid if you are in Support Group so don't have to do any activities, but it's a legal thing now and everyone on ESA has to have one.
    Just like you have to have a Claimant Commitment in UC even if you are LCWRA.

    They've already done everyone on WRAG, (I did one at the jobcentre a couple of years ago before covid), so now they are going through the motions and getting them in place for those in Support Group too.
    I believe that for all New Style ESA claims they have also not been doing them during covid and are now catching up.
    And the law says that they have to talk to you about it, they can't just do it without talking to you about it first.

    After they talk to you they give, or in the case of a telephone talk send, you a letter called an ESA49, setting out what your personal activities should be.
    You can find an example here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque.../ESA49%200.pdf
    The language used is geared to WRAG, but they do use the same letter for SG as well.

    As you noted in your post above "it will not include any work related activities" - they know that they can't do that.
    Instead it will just say that you don't have to do any mandatory Work Related Activities, and/or that you should contact them to report any changes of circumstance.

    As far as the call itself:
    Just explain your hearing problems when they call you, they probably already have it noted on your file.
    But the computer has told them they have to get a Activity Plan in place, which means 'discussing' it with you.

    When you get the letter you can challenge any activities they put in it that you don't agree with.
    Always remember that if you are in support Group they can't mandate you to do any WRA.

    PS. I'm in WRAG and my 'Work-related Activities Plan' plan says that I should keep posting on here, moderating on a couple of other forums, and let them know of any changes.
    Not exactly onerous.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-10-21 at 11:30.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    351
    hello thanks both of you for the reply I shall do what you have said nukecad and I will let you no on outcome
    regards palmer

  5. #5
    It seems to me that this is a covert way of getting everyone on ESA to have a Work Focused Interview, which, as you know, is for WRAG only.

    As Palmer is in the support group, and therefore exempt from WFI's, this is just another waste of time and money.

    Also, what possible questions could be asked about your "Work-related Activity Plan", when, mostly, there isn't any "plan", because you're in the SG?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiscount View Post
    It seems to me that this is a covert way of getting everyone on ESA to have a Work Focused Interview, which, as you know, is for WRAG only.

    As Palmer is in the support group, and therefore exempt from WFI's, this is just another waste of time and money.

    Also, what possible questions could be asked about your "Work-related Activity Plan", when, mostly, there isn't any "plan", because you're in the SG?
    Agree with what you say,however things might not be so straightforward for those in the Work Related Activity Group,a Group that i agreed to go in after a promise from the DWP that i would still not be asked to do any Work related Activities..which i am dreading.Next time i will fight for my rightful place in the SG.The DWP are NOT to be trusted-goal posts can and will be moved from time to time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,108
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiscount View Post
    It seems to me that this is a covert way of getting everyone on ESA to have a Work Focused Interview, which, as you know, is for WRAG only.
    No it isn't - Simply because it is not a Work Focused Interview which are repeating interviews for those in WRAG.

    It is a one-off administrative excercise, once it's done then it's done.

    Once done it doesn't change unless you have a change of circumstances, so it won't be repeated.

    Support Group can be and are mandated to the jobcentre (or phone calls) for admin purposes, just not for work related activity.

    Admitted that the name is misleading (which may be why the work coach called it a Clamant Commitment instead), it should just be an "ESA Activity Plan".

    A plan that says 'No work related activity required, just tell us of any changes' is still a plan.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    No it isn't - Simply because it is not a Work Focused Interview which are repeating interviews for those in WRAG.

    It is a one-off administrative excercise, once it's done then it's done.

    Once done it doesn't change unless you have a change of circumstances, so it won't be repeated.

    Support Group can be and are mandated to the jobcentre (or phone calls) for admin purposes, just not for work related activity.

    Admitted that the name is misleading (which may be why the work coach called it a Clamant Commitment instead), it should just be an "ESA Activity Plan".

    A plan that says 'No work related activity required, just tell us of any changes' is still a plan.
    That's made it a bit clearer Nuke, thanks.

    But, in Palmers case, is it really so hard for, 'admin purposes', to just enter in their computer/ESA49: 'No work related activity required, just tell us of any changes', because this person is in SG.

    It just seems another wasteful exercise, I just don't get it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    440
    Nukecad - does that mean any of us in the Support Group on ESA (contribution based), can expect to receive one of these phone calls or letters in the near future?

  10. #10
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,108
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiscount View Post
    ... is it really so hard for, 'admin purposes', to just enter in their computer/ESA49: 'No work related activity required, just tell us of any changes', because this person is in SG.

    It just seems another wasteful exercise, I just don't get it.
    While not hard that would be unlawful.

    The way the regulatiom is written it has to be 'discussed' with the claimant.
    Let's face there would be complaints if they could just impose a plan or claimant commitment without you having any say in it.
    (Even though they don't have to take what you say into account).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Similar Threads

  1. New Style ESA and UC
    By Charrleh in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-11-19, 09:17
  2. New application form for 'New Style' ESA
    By nukecad in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-19, 13:03
  3. How far into my new style ESA claim do I need to be to qualify for NHS dentristy?
    By SolidResolve in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-06-18, 19:46
  4. UC and new style ESA and ESA
    By David69 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-04-18, 15:57
  5. SDP universal credit new style ESA
    By jjmurphy123 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-17, 18:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •