Thread: First LCWRA Payment

First LCWRA Payment

Hey lovelies!

I was recently placed into the LCRWA group for Universal Credit. My assessment period runs from the 7th to the 6th of each month. I am paid on the 13th. I reported my health change on the 6th June, and submitted by first sick note on the 14th June. Does anyone have any idea when my first payment including the LCWRA element will be?

I’ve been told conflicting things and I’m all confused! Some people have said that the 3 month wait starts from the day you reported your health change (6th June) which would mean I’d receive it in this month’s pay, others have said it’s from the date you submitted the sick note (the 14th June) so I’d get it next month.

I’m all confuzzled and any help would be greatly appreciated ??

Quote Originally Posted by Beansprout View Post
    Does anyone have any idea when my first payment including the LCWRA element will be?
    You have, almost, given enough there to be able to work it out for you.
    But to be absolutely certain we need a bit more.

The one thing you haven't said that is important and could make a difference is if this was a brand new UC claim made on the 6th June or an existing claim?
    If it's a new claim then did you have ESA before claiming UC?
    It's also important what was the starting date on the fit note?

If you could clarify those I could be more certain, as it is I can only give 2 different dates and explain why they could be different.

It can be complicated,
    You will be getting different answers because it depends on if you submit a fit note when you first claim UC, or if you were already claiming UC when you submitted your first fit note.
    And neither of what you have been told is quite correct, it is generally the date on the fit note that counts.

It depends on when you first supply "evidence of being unfit for work".
    That can be arguable, ('Evidence' doesn't strictly have to be a fit note), but in practice the DWP use the start date of the first fit note you provide. That includes any self-certification form if you sent one.
    But simply reporting that you are unfit for work is not normally considered 'evidence'.

So it's important what starting date was on your fit note - If it said 6th June then that's different than if it said 14th June. See below.

The rule (The Law):
    With UC if/when you are awarded LCWRA it will be payable from the start of the UC monthly assessment period that starts 3 months following the end of the monthly UC assessment period when you first provided evidence of being unfit for work.
    (I know, read the bold lettering below for a simplification).

Evidence of being unfit for work is usually a GP's Fit Note, but a Self Certification Note (for the first 7 days of sickness) also counts.
    Its the date on the Fit Note/Self Cert. that is the date you first provided evidence.

In practical terms that means if you are awarded LCWRA then:
    1. If you provide a Fit Note when making a brand new UC claim then the first LCWRA payment will be included in the 4th monthly UC payment made after you claim.
    2. If you have already been getting UC and then make a claim for Limited Capability then the first LCWRA payment will be included in the 5th monthly UC payment made after the first date on your fit note(s).

So the waiting period could be anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks, depending on where you were in your mothly AP when you first gave a Fit Note.
    And then it takes another month to see the actual payment because UC is paid in arrears.

In your case I'll assume that you were already on UC, and I'll assume that the start date on the fit note was the 14th June.That gives the longest of two waiting times.

In that case then as the fit note started on 14th June, your 3 months waiting started on 7th July
    7th July/ 6th August, 7 August/ 6 September, 7 September/6 October are your 3 waiting months.
    You are then entitled to LCWRA from 6th October, so your first LCWRA payment will be (should be) included in your payment on 13th November.

Note though that if this is an existing claim and your fit note was dated to start on the 6th June then you just got it into the AP before, so then your 3 waiting months would start on 7th June, everything would come forward a month, and you can expect a LCWRA payment on 13th October.

Also note that if this was a brand new UC claim then they will probably (not definitely) accept that you gave 'evidence' when you first claimed UC, so again you can expect the first LCWRA payment on 13th October.

Just one more thing - if you already had ESA Support Group before migrating to UC then LCWRA is payable from the start of the UC claim with no waiting months required.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-10-21 at 23:46.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.