Thread: ESA work related activity

ESA work related activity

Hi
    I had a telephone assessment about 3 weeks back with regard to my ESA ,i received a letter today saying they are going to be sending me for work focused interviews,i have already took part in these activity's about 4 years ago,i suffer with chronic neck/nerve pain and headache due to cervical disc bulge,i was medically retired from my job with the Royal Mail back in 2008 because of this condition,i suffer severe depression and anxiety also,this seems harassing to me,any advice please.

First to put your mind at rest - As I said back in Nov 2019 WFI's are not what you did back in 2016, that was the 'Work Programme' and it no longer exists so nobody can be sent on it.

I believe that you have been in the WRAG group since November 2019?, if so you were already subject to Work Focused Interviews and nothing has changed.

Does the letter only talk about WFIs, or does it talk about other things?
    Does it have an "ESA###" number at the bottom of the page? (ESA120 or ESAL0001 perhaps?).

Work Focused Interviews are simply visits to the Jobcenter to discuss your sitation and if you could be doing anything to help you back to work.
    Everybody in ESA WRAG group is subject to WFI's.
    WFI's are mandatory, you have to attend or have a 'good reason' for not attending.

These days WFI's are just a 'keep in touch', 'tick the paperwork', excercise for the jobcentre - they don't have any courses or training that they can send you on anyway.
    (Except perhaps, if they have spaces, for the Work and Health Programme which is entirely voluntary for those on ESA anyway so you can simply say - "No thanks").
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the fast reply nukecad,yes you are right it was the work programme,i was put on, but i thought they may have introduced some new scheme so was a bit concerned.
    The letter i received starts with how much allowance rate i will get per week,they have placed me in the WRAG,but i have always been in that group anyway,then the paragraph below says, We have decided that you have potential for work related activity and must take part in WFI's,with a personal adviser to continue to receive ESA.
    The adviser will help you to take reasonable steps to move towards work,to include support to manage your illness or disability .
    So how many of these will i have to attend ? ,cheers again for reply.

Fine so it's just a 'still in WRAG following your recent assessment' letter, (there are a few different variations), so nothing has changed for you.

You were subject to WFI's before, you are still subject to WFI's, nothing has changed.

how many of these will i have to attend ?
    It's a how long is a piece of string question.

Normally we'd say the same as you were already doing, but nobody has been doing any WFIs because of Covid.

Before lockdown I was going to the jobcentre for a five or ten minute WFI 'chat' once every six months, but of course I haven't done one for over a year because of Covid.

At that time six months seemed to be the norm for WFI's, unless you were in the first year(s) of a new claim.

However often you had to go for one before Covid I'd expect it to be the same after covid, or more likely once every six months after they start doing them again.
    I believe they have restarted doing a few WFIs, but by no means for everybody.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.