Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESA Phone Assessment

Ah, I understand now.

You are doing one yourself, which they will accept even though they didn't originally send you one.

(PS. They don't normally let you email them, so she is making a special case for yours).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Oh, I don't know, they asked me to email it to them, I don't know if it's something that they've been doing since covid? I have no idea, all I can tell you is that I was told twice that I could do a new ESA50, the first time the person was unsure if I'd be able to postpone the appointment because he seemed to think I had cancelled an appointment but it was actually the assessment company, he never mentioned a paper ESA50 and the woman dealing with my complaint also suggested doing a new one, which I took her up on, she said to email everything to her and that she'd attach it to my record(?) for the assessor. She was also the one that noticed they'd booked my appointment which I was supposed to have today with a male again, so she cancelled it for me.

Maybe it's because I complained? I don't know, but if it's what you've said then I'm very grateful

Will they give a copy of it to the DWP? I don't have a working printer atm so I can't send it myself.

So I sent the updated ESA50 in, it had plenty of info, I sent 2 supporting letters, my GP has just done another for me.. however, I received a phone call yesterday, it was a man from the assessment company, he said they had received my ESA50 etc and that they had requested info from my GP, he said I could have the assessment or wait until they receive the info, so I opted to wait.

I posted on another forum and said I was a bit baffled why they've waited almost 3 months to request the info, a mod from the forum suggested that maybe I'd sent in a good ESA50 and that they might be wanting to do a paper based assessment so asking for info from my GP to clarify things on the form.

It would be nice if that was the case but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hello,

Just thought I'd do a quick update.

The assessment centre asked my GP for further info when my son sent in my updated ESA50, the woman who has been helping us emailed my son today to let him know that my file was looked at again along with my GPs info at that I now don't need to have an assessment

That's great news, so pleased for you!

Thank you very much

I've been trying to find something out and I've asked on a couple of other forums but no one seems to know the answer or aren't sure so thought I'd try here.

I've read that prior to covid, if you had a paper based assessment that you couldn't be found fit for work and only be placed in WRAG or SG, is this still correct or have the rules changed? I have also asked Welfare Rights but I don't trust them much due to various reasons but they said:

"They could deem you fit for work in theory but in practice this would be unlikely. Usually they will consider paper based assessments it might be in cases where they accept that the person cannot do a face to face assessment. Therefore, they to some extent accept that they have at least some level of limitations. So I would be surprised if you got a decision saying you were fit for work but it is not impossible."

Then when I explained that my son had received an email stating they now had the GP's info and looked at my file again and decided I no longer needed an assessment, they said

"That’s sounds positive I would anticipate you would be likely to be placed in the support group.".

Does anyone on here know or had a recent experience in regards to a paper based assessment?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the delay replying, the forum has been down for maintenance.

The law does say that you can't be found FFW without having an assessment; but it doesn't specify what kind of assessment that has to be, or who has to carry it out.
    A paper only assessment is still an assessment.

So in theory any work capability assessment could find any outcome including fit-for-work.
    Doesn't matter if it's a F2F, home visit, telephone/video, or paper only - they are all assessments.

But if they are doing paper only then the DWP have basically already accepted from your supplied evidence that you won't be FFW so any further assessment is not needed, they are just deciding between WRAG or SG.
    The majority by far of paper only decisions award SG.
    If there was any doubt about that then they would want you to have a further assessment; and before covid that meant a F2F assessment either at their centre or at your home.

But assessment practicalities have changed since covid and they are doing less F2F's and less home visits.

That's simply because they are now doing most assessments by telephone, and even if you can't get down to a F2F you can usually talk to them on the phone.
    Of course if your supplied evidence is clear enough for the DWP to make their decision then there's no need to talk anymore about it, not even on the phone.

They have always been able to do telephone assessments, but it was very rare until covid meant people couldn't go to a F2F.

There were/are some concerns that they might not be able to assess 'properly' over the telephone, but that doesn't seem to be happening with WCA's.
    (It did happen when they first started doing telephone assessments for PIP, assessors were recomending lower PIP awards than usual with F2F's -but the DWP noticed that change, compensated for it, and put better telephone practices in place. So they were ready for if it happened with WCA's done by phone).

If they have told you that they don't need to assess you, even over the phone, then that does sound like they are minded to award Support Group.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-12-21 at 09:29.

Hiya,

No need to apologise, I appreciate the response regardless.

Your response as put my mind at ease a tad, thank you.

When my son submitted my up to date ESA50 in November via email, I think we were talking about further up, they then called me to say they had requested further info from my GP, I was meant to have a phone assessment but they said I could cancel and wait until they had the GP's and that the usually allowed 2 weeks, so I opted to cancel. They had spent 3 months making mistakes and messing me around in regards to phone assessments.

On the 8/12/21, my son received the following from the assessment centre:

"Dear Mr

I am emailing to advise that we have now been able to obtain further medical evidence from Miss J's GP.

A Healthcare Professional has therefore reviewed Miss J's file again, alongside this new information from the GP, and I am pleased to confirm that an assessment is no longer required, on this occasion, as there is now sufficient information about Miss J's current functional capacity in order for the Healthcare Professional to provide advice to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Our advice report has been sent to the DWP and they will contact Miss Johnston with the outcome of her benefit claim in due course. Please note that the Healthcare Professional does not decide whether she is entitled to benefit, as this decision rests with the Decision Maker at the DWP.

I hope that this information is helpful towards resolving both yours and Miss J’s concerns, but please let me know if I can assist any further.

Kind regards"

My mental and physical health aren't the best and the assessment centre has caused me a lot of stress and panic attacks. I pretty much worry about everything and anything. I thought I'd ask on here because I've noticed you seem to know your stuff in regards to benefit
    Last edited by Nashota74; 18-12-21 at 09:36.

That email is fine.

It's just saying that they have enough clear evidence now so don't need to ask you anything else by a phone assessment.

They now send their recommendation back to the DWP Decision Maker who makes the award.

As they don't need to talk to you then that recommendation will almost certainly be for Support Group, it would be unusual for the DWP to go against that recommendation.

The question now would be for how long the Decision Maker sets your 'prognosis date', that's the date when you will need another assessment.
    As it was a paper assessment they may have recommended 'unlikely to improve in the longer term' if so that would mean they will leave you alone for 10 years and then do a 'light touch review'.

PS. Don't ask what a 'light touch review' means, nobody knows for sure because they've never done any yet.