Thread: ESA letter help please.

ESA letter help please.

I have just received a letter from the DWP (in a white envelope) that says,

Your claim for employment support allowance.
    Changes in the employment and support allowance rates payable.

We have looked at your claim again following a recent change.

From 12 January 2016 your ESA will be £109.30 a week.
    This because of a change of money coming in.
    From 11 April 2017 your ESA will be £109.65
    From 10 April 2018 your ESA will be £110.75
    From 9 April 2019 your ESA will be £111.65
    From 7 April 2020 your ESA will be £113.55
    From 13 April 2021 your ESA will be £114.10

It says I can have a mandatory reconsideration if I believe the decision is wrong etc etc.

I have no idea what this letter is for? I have already received the annual up rating letter confirming what the new payment would be from April 13th 2021, way back in January. I am on Contribution based ESA with no Income related top ups or benefits.

The only thing that has has changed, just days ago, was my PIP review was refused. So I have to go through the mental torture of a mandatory reconsideration, followed by an appeal at tribunal.

Is it this, that has triggered this mysterious letter from ESA?

After telephoning the DWP it seems that it WAS my recent PIP review refusal that triggered this letter from ESA.

Even though as I said previously, I am on Contribution based ESA that was transferred over, years ago from SDA, which I was awarded till state retirement age. I have never qualified for income based ESA as my partner works full time. There should in theory be NO connection between the two benefits but obviously there it appears there is.

It seems "this change" has added another two years until I am due to reassessed for ESA, for which I am very grateful.

If only PIP could understand the same disabilities in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    After telephoning the DWP it seems that it WAS my recent PIP review refusal that triggered this letter from ESA.

Even though as I said previously, I am on Contribution based ESA that was transferred over, years ago from SDA, which I was awarded till state retirement age. I have never qualified for income based ESA as my partner works full time. There should in theory be NO connection between the two benefits but obviously there it appears there is.

It seems "this change" has added another two years until I am due to reassessed for ESA, for which I am very grateful.

If only PIP could understand the same disabilities in the same way.
    There is when it suits the DWP.