Thread: Answers hard to find

Answers hard to find

Hello everybody, couple of questions im trying to get answers for but cant.
    Tax credits stops this month one of my daughters is 19 and as quadriplegia cerebral palsy she cant work is she or are we able to claim ESA for her also is there anything that replaces tax credits once children turn 19 , the reason i ask is that me and my wife work our hours around our daughter so she as 24 hour care which she needs.
    thx mark

Yuo are a bit short of information there, but we can make a start.

I assume you mean Child Tax Credits, with the child disability element are stopping?
    Or do you mean Working Tax Credits for yourselves?

Does your daughter currently claim any benefits in her own right? (DLA or PIP maybe?).

She won't be able to claim 'New Style' ESA, unless she has been working. It is a Contribution Based benefit.

She should be able to claim PIP.
    She should be able to claim Universal Credit, including a Limited Capability Element, depending on any savings she may have.

For yourselves then depending on your Income, and/or savings/capital you may be able to claim Universal Credit, to include a Carer Element.
    And/or possibly Carers Allowance, but again that depends on hours worked and income/earnings.
    (Note that if you claim both UC and CA then any money you get for CA will be deducted from UC, so it's realy only worth claiming CA if you don't qualify for UC).

You can try putting her, and then your own, circumstances (as they will be after the Tax credits have ended) into one or more of the benefit calculators. (I normally use the entitledto one).
    Do it once for her, and then do it again for yourselves, to see what each of you should be entitled to claim:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-08-21 at 13:34.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thankyou for your feed back, my daughter gets PIP higher rate, and the wife claims carers allowance.my daughter cant communicate so would we have to apply for universal credit for her.

In that case you would need to apply to become her appointee for Universal Credit, see here for more info and how to do that:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universa...ion#appointees

Presumably you are already her apointee for PIP?, but it needs to be done seperately for UC.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.