Thread: Ns esa carers claim

Ns esa carers claim

Any advice on the following would be gratefully received

I claim new style ESA and am in the support group. I also claim UC which is reduced £ for £ for my esa claim. I receive pip at standard rate for daily living and enhanced for mobility. So my question is this.

My caregiver does not want to claim carers allowance as it would reduce her ESA by the same amount and I have been told that I can claim the carers for me myself. So I can cover taxis etc for my carer as she does have to come over at unsociable hours if I have a fall etc. If I claim it how will it effect my ESA and UC? I know they take it £ for £ off your UC but can they also reduce my ESA by it?

I wouldn’t need to claim it if I was on the old ESA as I would of received the SDP premium but as it’s New Style ESA I don’t get any extra other than the support group rate

Thanks for any advice in advance

You can't claim carer's allowance for yourself. It has to be claimed by the person giving care.

You can't claim CA (or the UC Carer Element) for looking after yourself, you claim it if you are caring for someone else.
    Who told you that you could claim it for yourself?

However your carer is not quite correct about how claiming CA would affect her ESA. She would be better off.

How much better off depends on if your caregivers ESA is Income Related or Contribution Based ESA.
    If, like yourself, she is also on NS ESA then it's CB only.
    New Style ESA is CB only, Old Style ESA could be either/both

But either way she would be better off by claiming CA as well, it's just by how much she would be better off:

If it's all Contribution Based ESA only then claiming CA for looking after you would not affect her ESA payments at all.
    Her ESA would stay the same and she'd get the £67.60 for CA as well.

Whilst your carer is correct that any CA she claims will be deducted £ for £ from any Income Related ESA, she has missed that it would also give an extra 'Carer Premium' payable with the IR ESA.

That Carer Premium is currently £37.70 a week, so by claiming CA alongside IR ESA she would end up £37.70 a week better off.

The only thing to be careful of is if her being your carer, and what she actually does to care for you, conflicts with why she is claiming ESA for being unable to work then it could lead to questions at her next reassessment.
    (But to be honest the same question arises if she is caring, whether she claims CA or not).
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-07-21 at 13:09.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you nukecad that is really useful and I’ll have a chat with my carer about it. I did google if you could claim CA for yourself and it came back you could. But not believing everything I read is why I come on here for help. Once again thanks for the detailed reply. I think she’s on IR ESA as she hasn’t worked for a lot of years.

This tells you/her about the Carer Premium in ESA, see 2: Add on Premiums - If you or your partner care for a disabled person

If you get Carer’s Allowance, you should get a 'carer premium' as part of your ESA. You’ll get:

£37.70 each week if either you or a partner you live with get Carer’s Allowance
    PS. I'd forgotten that having CA also gives an entitlement to the £10 christmas bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart70 View Post
    I did google if you could claim CA for yourself and it came back you could.
    Yes, I just googled the same question and it came back with answers
    I even googled "Can I claim Carers Allowance for looking after myself" and it can back with the same set of answers.

But that's just google trying to be helpful and giving you something 'close' to what you have actually asked.

You can "claim CA for yourself" - if you are looking after someone else.
    But that just means that you can make a claim by yourself, not for yourself, ie. the claim doesn't have to be made by the person who you are caring for. (Although they should be asked by the DWP because it could affect their benefits).

You can't "claim CA for looking after yourself".
    Instead that is what SDP in legacy (Old Style) benefits is for, if no one else is claiming CA for looking after you then you can get SDP at about the same money as CA (it's not a coincidence that it's the same money). If someone is claiming the CA for looking after you then you can't get the SDP.
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-07-21 at 22:37.

Thank you again.

Yes it’s frustrating that just because I carried on working while struggling with my mobility till last year I’m on the new system rather than the original ESA I lose out on the SDP. So while having the same issues as everyone on the old system and the extra costs involved I just have to go without and live on less money. 30 years of paying tax and NI hasn’t done me any good.

But again thank you and hopefully I’ll sort something