Thread: Law: Pick-up/Drop-off disabled bay on HA grounds no Blue Badge

Question Law: Pick-up/Drop-off disabled bay on HA grounds no Blue Badge

Hi Everyone! New here.

I've been trying desperately to find the laws about this or any info at all and I'm hoping this forum can help me out.

My HA has contracted a new company to maintain the carpark, previously this wasn't issue. But now they won't allow me to use the disabled bay for picking me up and dropping me off. They're very swift with the tickets (1-2mins). It's impossible to park anywhere else that's safe and secure, allowing for a wheelchair and transfer with an attendant assisting. The time the bay is occupied is no more than 10 mins, I've gone so far as to time it! It was my understanding that despite not having a blue badge (using a taxi service or friends are helping out) using the bay for this purpose is acceptable and legal as long as it's no more than 15 mins. I seem to recall it's allowed for this very reason and that unpaid carers, nurses, drop-off and pick-up services can utilise this as long as it's for a disabled person and within the allotted time.

Can anyone here help me out with this? I'm going to apply for one but atm it's making life very difficult because friends/taxis won't pick me up/drop me as they keep getting tickets.

(Meanwhile people without a blue badge or parking permit will park in the disabled bays all day and night! Sigh!)

Thanks so much in advance!

A Blue Badge allows you to park/wait on the highway in places that others can't, eg. on some (not all) double yellow lines.

Disabled bays on the highway have a legal status and should only be used by Blue Badge holders.

But a car park is not on the highway and so the owners of the car park can set their own rules.

Disabled bays on car parks are advisory, that is they have no legal standing at all.
    Who can park there depends entirely on the car park owners rules.

Councils will have a set of rules for their car parks, each council will have different rules.
    Private car parks such as your HA's will also have their own rules.

So you need to know what your HA's rules are for that particular car park.
    If you think that the new parking contractors are not sticking to those rules then you complain to the HA.
    TBH I expect you'll find that their rules say their designated disabled spaces are for Blue Badge holders only with no exceptions given.
    (That may not have been enforced in the past, but it's a new company now who are enforcing it).

Having a Blue Badge does not give you any extra legal rights in a car park, it may give you concessions under the car park owners own rules or may not.
    Even with a Blue Badge you may have to pay to park in a car park disabled bay.
    A Blue Badge does not entitle you to park on yellow lines in off-street car parks.

This tells you more about where you can and can't park with a Blue Badge, and more about car parks:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ies-in-england
    A Blue Badge will help you to park close to your destination, either as a passenger or driver.

The badge is intended for on-street parking only.

Off-street car parks, such as those provided by shopping centres, hospitals or supermarkets are covered by separate rules.
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-07-21 at 12:17.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

HA car park, private property.
    There is your answer.
    Last edited by gus607; 23-10-21 at 12:09.