Thread: ESA Telephone appointment curtailed

ESA Telephone appointment curtailed

Hi all,

I had a telephone ESA assessment today, I have 14 medical conditions however the lady started with one, asked some questions, seemed very knowledgable and supportive. After 14 minutes which included the hellos and introductions etc she said she was curtailing the assessment and didnt need to ask me about the other conditions. she proceeded to explain that this was standard procedure, sometimes they need to ask more or wait for a f2f but in cases like mine they didnt. she said i would hear in around 4 weeks, she also said that i would be called for a reassessment at some point, but she wouldnt think this would be for 2 years or so and even then hopefully an assesor would deal with it as she had.

I did a bit of googling and found this posted on another thread posted by @citydwn posted in July 2020

Initially the case would go through 'filework' where a HCP would review the ESA/UC50 and any medical evidence available. At the time of writing, only cases that are at LCW threshold and are considered to be a borderline case that is leaning towards LCWRA/Support Group are the cases being prioritized for telephone assessment.

It's likely that a medical condition, the evidence or the questionnaire suggests LCRWA/Support Group my apply, but it's not 'clear cut' based on the information in front of them, or it is not documented in the exact way that the HCP can outright recommend LCRWA to the Decision Maker without talking to the client via assessment.

For example - It may be clear in the medical evidence that a client has issues with continence, but it may not specify how often this happens or whether the client uses any aids or collection device (like a stoma, continence pads etc), and if these are effective or not (pads may not fit properly, stoma output may be excessive etc).

On the telephone assessment after the HCP as read out the required 'script' and done ID checks etc, a good HCP should hopefully be zoning straight into the questions about your condition to fill in these banks and get you 'checked off' as meeting LCWRA/Support Group criteria. Once they are satisfied you meet the threshold the assessment should be curtailed, meaning they won't have to go through every medical condition and cover every descriptor in the typical day history.

Does this mean it looks likely i am in the support group ?

many thanks

Firstly forget that post from July 2020 it's about special circumstances - at that time they were only doing special/limited telephone assessments which were only for Support Group or wait for a full assessment. - Things have changed a lot since then.

All telephone ESA/UC work capapbilty assessments are now full assessments, and any award can be given following a telephone assessment.

As for cutting yours short:
    It's always been practice that if it becomes obvious during an assessment that you should be in Support Group then they will stop as soon as they have seen/heard enough to make that clear.

If it's clear cut then there is no need to waste everyones time going through the rest.

So it sounds very likely that the assessor will recommend that you are awarded Support Group, and that the DWP will agree.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad, yes i was surprised she didnt discuss my other conditions, some of which are more impactful on my life than the condition she focussed on, but later in the conversation it became clear that was her background, she did say she felt there was no point to make me go through all the conditions and she hoped future assessors wouldnt either.
    Many thanks at 62 i find myself off work and facing medical retirement and now on half pay, so trying to get things in place for when I have to face the bullet and apply for the MR.

I have DLA motability, awarded many moons ago on indefinate award, is there any news on the DLA - PIP remaining transfers, I have always put off applying for the daily living part of DLA as I needed my car to work as i cannot use public transport!
    If successful with ESA and placed in the support group can I use the WCA report in my DLA- PIP transfer? as I will be no longer working having a reliable car isnt of such great need and I could purchase a 2nd hand one with the £2,000 payment from motability although id be hoping to keep the motability element.

many thanks for your assistance.

Im not sure where DLA-PIP transfers are at, but I'm pretty sure there can't be that many outstanding.

I am aware (from a W&P committee hearing this week) that there are big backlogs for PIP assessments, as well as for WCAs, maybe indefinite DLA award transfers are not exactly on the priority list at the moment?
    They will be prioritising PIP/DLA awards that have run out or are in danger of running out.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-07-21 at 17:07.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.