Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeez They Knew My Full Name!

Yes Nuke, I'm always grateful for my common sense.

beau, I will have a look into a call blocker.

They text me 12.32 am thankfully my mobile either didn't make a sound or I slept through it. I will run down my credit on there & then get another sim. I only just went through hoops to keep my mobile number because who I'm with changed their network Humph!

Can't see anyway of blocking the texts

Example here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced...4527212&sr=8-3

You can get them cheaper and with more handsets.

Thank You beau .............

All junk mail the postman delivers is returned in the pre paid envelope (if provided) with the words "NO MORE JUNK MAIL".
    That works quite well & when it's their return postage cost it's very satisfying for me.
    The usual culprits are insurance companies trying to tout for new business for the over 60s or wretched funeral plans. !

The point is that someone has paid the PO to deliver this crap so they are contractually bound to deliver it.
    (TBH though they could charge standard rate rather than giving discounts for bulk mailshots).

The posties would much prefer not to have to bother with it either.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Every scammer i get ringing i keep them talking as long as i can, tell them i'll just go and get my wallet and leave them hanging on whilst im doing other stuff and shouting, have you seen my wallet. Once even managed to take a shower and they hung on. I see it as whilst im wasting their time and know its a scam they are leaving someone else alone who may fall for it.

Although satisfying that could be a mistake and be the cause of even more calls.

When these idiots are selling numbers to each other the have a scale of prices.

Didn't connect.
    Rang but not answered.
    Answered but silent.
    Aswered, listened, hung up.
    Answered, talked.
    Answered, engaged in conversation.
    Answered, bought something.

If you chat to them then you are on a 'premium' list to be sold to others.
    (If you bought something off a cold call then expect sharks).
    The others don't know you were messing them about so you get more calls.

Best to just not answer or hang up.
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-06-21 at 16:49.

That makes sense Nuke, I think they might of stopped for now gone a whole 24 hours without them trying to contact me but I don't think I will be left alone for long because no doubt they will now sell on my details to the next flying fishcakes to bother me some more.

I really wish you could track who sold your details to the scammers because that's going to be the only way to stop them, if you could trace who sold your details & give them a long prison sentence plus fines & to pay back the money they took.

I don't think my phone gets the block call's & messages thing, it makes a noise every time they try & contact me!. that's why I blocked them because I don't want to know if they try & contact me!

I would have said its entirely opposite, I should think i average one scam call or text a month, they dont even spam my email with junk. My brother says he gets a couple a week and he just tells them hes not interested.

I know about them latching on to a target, a neighbour was on a rogue traders list and over 4 months she was bombarded with door knockers offering various services. In the end it turned out the very first one took her for 5 thousand and her address was being passed around in their community.

Here's a couple of scams you may not know about.

I think the best I had were the letters about my car insurance, two within a month one for a Merc and one for a BMW - I'm eppy so can't even have a driving licence.

It's an insurance scam, but not against you.
    Insurance for high end cars in cities is high, so they try to insure them for a lower premium at a rural address with themselves as a named second driver.
    They just pick a rural name/address at random from the electoral register.
    Of course the insurance companies are wise to it, which is why they send out those letters now if something doesn't look right.

The two I got were from different insurers for cars registered in Glasgow to the same surname, although I probably shouldn't have been told that.

Last week I got a 'Brushing' scam parcel at my old address that's now stood empty. That's to do with fake reviews on websites.
    An Amazon parcel turned up addressed simply to 'Stuart' with no surname.
    My old landlord didn't know who that was but knows I use Amazon so phoned me, I told him that without a surname it would be a brushing scam and to open it, but I think he sent it back.

Sellers set up accounts to pay for their own goods on Amazon and send them as a 'gift' to random adresses so they can then write fake 'verified' reviews for both the goods and more importantly for them to say how good the seller is.
    Amazon say they like to know about it if you get one so they know which sellers are doing it, but they aren't that bothered and don't usually take any action because they get their commission on the fake sales anyway.
    Amazon don't want the goods back because they have already been paid for - so you can keep them, or give them to a charity shop, or throw them away.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...3XVXQPUV79Z2ZC

It's fairly harmless, I don't trust the reviews that much anyway, and you could end up with something useful for free (expensive stuff like smartphones has been known) although it's usually cheap tat from China.
    The only possible concern may by where they got your address, more concerning if they also use your real name, but usually it's just been picked at random.
    They are not bothered about you in the slightest, they just want the goods delivered somwhere/anywhere so they can write a fake review.
    Electoral registers are publicly avaialble, or pick a street name and google it, or look on streetview and pick a house number.

This is a good example of how you can get lists of random addresses, just change the town:
    https://uksocialhousing.com/properties/manchester
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-06-21 at 08:31.