Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeez They Knew My Full Name!

Jeez They Knew My Full Name!

Scammers!. I want to know how they knew my landline number & my mobile number as well as my full name including middle name!.

Frightening times we live in

It's only my bank, family & the DWP that knows my middle name so have no idea where they got that one from

Makes you feel like giving up all your worldly goods & become a nun!

Thinking about it. it's looking very tempting the more I think about it

Turns out they are really nasty scammers. Not only did they have my christian name & mobile phone number but they also had the last 4 numbers of my debit card & managed to send me a text on the same text thread that my bank text me on to ask if it's me using my card!

I'm not brainy enough to know how they did any of that.

But after a 20 min wait on the phone to my bank using my banks phone number on the top of my bank statement, she went through all my last transactions which were all mine & also looked at the log that they send the text messages to ask if you just used your card & they hadn't contacted me today.

I asked her how could they do that she said I don't know

So she has issued me a new card & kept my one active because I need to pay rent probably before my new one gets here & when that one comes I need to cancel my old one.

Thinking of changing my phone number too though that's not so easy is it!

Defo going to become a nun!

The last 4 digits of a card number aren't actually that hard for a hacker to find, they will be recorded numerous places when you have used your card online.

(But there is no need for the internet, they could have been taken from a receipt that you have thrown away. eg. If you use your card to pay in the supermarket the receipt will have those 4 digits on it).

But without the rest of the number, and the 3-digit security code from the back of the card, they are not of much use to anyone other than you checking which of your cards you have used (if you have more than one).

That full number and security code is what these guys were trying to get by trying to trick you that they were the bank.
    It's usually an email, but some are trying it with text messages or even phone calls.

As you did the best way is to check anything that you are not sure of with your bank.

You are probably OK but getting a new card is a good move, don't forget to cancel the old one as soon as you can.

I suggest that you also regularly use this site to check if your email address or phone number has been hacked:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    And this page to check your passwords (To see how it works try the password - dyslexic - I know that has been hacked):
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

For you this is especially important as someone seems to have got your data from somewhere.

I check mine at least once a month, and often more often.

As they were able to spoof as if it was coming from your bank then I'd also check online if your bank has been hacked at anytime, just search for you 'bankname hacked' and that should find if it has been.
    Here's an example from a quick search of "lloyds hacked": https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...am-232751.aspx
    By law any organisation that has had a data breach has to report it to the ICO. (If they know about it).

There is plenty of other advice online about how to avoid scams and scammers.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I only use my card online so it's come from that, even years ago when I used to use my card in shops I saved my receipts & shredded them. I shred everything.

Unfortunately she said she will keep my one active until the new one gets here & I've just tried to book a Tesco slot & my card won't go through

So I'm hoping it gets here on or by Saturday otherwise I'm stuck as I won't be able to pay my rent or get a food delivery ho hum!

Yes I understand that the last 4 numbers of a card without the others & the security number no one could get to my money it's just how flipping closer they are getting. When you buy something online it always shows the last 4 numbers in receipts that could explain that but what isn't explained it knowing my Christian name bank, gov, NHS & family.

Which one out of bank, gov or NHS has that come from Pft!

Thanks for the links

Since I moved and had to inform everyone and their grandad of my change of address my email has been full of spammers trying to sell me something.

I hardly used to get any spam email (one advantage of having your own domian and email rather than a generic @gmail etc).

But of course they all have "we may share your data with our trusted associates" on their websites these days, and if you actually buy something from whoever they give your details to they get a commission. So I can't point the finger at any particular one (yet).

I even got a "Do you want to sell your property" email -It's a bloody council house and I've only just moved in!

LOL I get the pain in the neck junk leaflets pushed through the door every so often saying do you want to sell your home. I don't think the landlord would be very pleased if I put their house up for sale

Defo joining the nunnery

I might just get another domaim/email (I can get a myname@anythingiwant.uk free for a year) and only tell these companies one a month about it.

That would track down just which, how many, is/are giving my address away.

But TBH I'm already pretty sure it's one or more of the utility companies, maybe the ones I have just left.

Good idea nuke, that will weed them out.

I blocked the scammers number on my mobile & seen they tried to call again this afternoon. So far they haven't called my landline again. Nothing you can do about it if it's a recorded message so the telephone preference service said. It's pointless being on that now.

TPS has always been fairly easily fooled, it's more of a "look we are doing something" rather than a real solution.

But TBH whatever automatic filters you put in place crooks will always find ways to get round them, that's what criminals do and it's why your avtivirus/antiransomware/anti#### are constantly updated to try and counter their latest moves.

In the end the best anti-scammer is your own common sense.

We have a call blocker phone. Any number not in the phone book have to announce themselves so the call can be accepted. They never come through because they won't announce themselves so are cut off.
    Any call in the history that hasn't come through I block the number.