Thread: The new PIP.1043 forms

The new PIP.1043 forms

Hi,

I've noticed my PIP.1043 form doesn't have any of the check boxes (i.e. no "easier, harder, no change" boxes) the older one did (well, apart from the getting around and how far I can walk sections). Now it just says "Tell us if something has changed and approximately when." Any idea when they made the change, and why?

It seems to make it more awkward, considering the tiny text boxes you're given to explain things. Is everyone getting these new forms?

Think I'll just create links to my printed text sheets which I'll attach to the back, like I did on my main PIP1. Not sure whether to go with, "Nothing has changed, see page x of my printed sheets as to how my disabilities affect...", or just "see page x of my printed sheets as to how my disabilities affect..."

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by ethite; 17-06-21 at 20:13.

Yes they changed the PIP forms a couple of months ago.
    (It threw a lot of benefits advisors at the time who where working on the phone because of covid and only had the old forms when their clients had got the new one).

I wouldn't just put 'no change', I'd put 'no change see sheet #' and on the attached sheet put just the same as you did for the full PIP2 (unless something has changed of course), attaching sheets and refering to them is fine.

I think that's part of why they changed the forms, just writing 'no change', or ticking a 'no change' box, whilst easier for the claimant doesn't really tell the assessor anything.

PS. For anyone else reading - They seem to be no longer giving you extra time to send PIP forms back like they were doing for covid, it seems to be now back to the standard 1 month with a 2 week extension if you phone and ask for one.
    If you get a PIP form double check when it says it has to be returned by.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-06-21 at 10:09.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Yes they changed the PIP forms a couple of months ago.
    (It threw a lot of benefits advisors at the time who where working on the phone because of covid and only had the old forms when their clients had got the new one).

I wouldn't just put 'no change', I'd put 'no change see sheet #' and on the attached sheet put just the same as you did for the full PIP2 (unless something has changed of course), attaching sheets and refering to them is fine.

I think that's part of why they changed the forms, just writing 'no change', or ticking a 'no change' box, whilst easier for the claimant doesn't really tell the assessor anything.

PS. For anyone else reading - They seem to be no longer giving you extra time to send PIP forms back like they were doing for covid, it seems to be now back to the standard 1 month with a 2 week extension if you phone and ask for one.
    If you get a PIP form double check when it says it has to be returned by.
    Well I am tempted to just put "see sheet # for how my my disabilities affect.me in this area", and not specifically answer the question, as I would like to make some small changes on what I've typed from last time in some descriptors, and let THEM decide if there's been a change, instead me having to debate with myself whether the changes are significant enough to warrant me saying my situation has changed. I'm not sure how wise it is in me not answering the question specifically myself, though.

Slight correction on the check boxes, on me looking at the form again, there's only check boxes on the how far you can walk question, but there's now two sets of check boxes for that. I'm curious to know what their aim is with this, as it seems to make this section trickier to answer, and varying away from the relative simplicity of how the points are scored in this area. I can't help but wonder if they're up to some sort of mischief here to down score people. I mean I think I'm ticking "no" to getting help from someone else with walking, but also, I don't go out many days because I can't walk very far on those days. But if I do tick no, are they going to argue that I could walk further if I had that hypothetical help, or something like that and down score me? I could be overthinking it, but it feels like they're up to something.

Actually, Nukecad, on the point of extensions, I've realised I'm not going to be able to get all my evidences in by the deadline, even if I've had 3 months, do you think I can still get a two week extension if I phone them?

Thanks Nuke!

Answering like that will be fine - they are supposed to be a new assessment everytime anyway so let them earn their wages.

Don't worry about the walking question, I've never seen them try to argue that you could walk further with help.
    In fact I believe it's the opposite, they are making sure that when you say you can walk 'such a distance' that's by yourself and isn't only with the help of a frame/rollator or being supported by someone.

Yes you can phone and ask for an extension, but personally I'd send what you can by the original deadline and send copies of anything else later (or hold it back as 'new evidence' in case you need to go to MR/appeal).

PS. Looking at it again I don't think that the AR1/PIP.1043 has changed, and is still the June 2018 version.
    (It was the older 2016 version that had 3 tickboxes for each question).
    The PIP1 and PIP2 did change at the start of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Answering like that will be fine - they are supposed to be a new assessment everytime anyway so let them earn their wages.

Don't worry about the walking question, I've never seen them try to argue that you could walk further with help.
    In fact I believe it's the opposite, they are making sure that when you say you can walk 'such a distance' that's by yourself and isn't only with the help of a frame/rollator or being supported by someone.

Yes you can phone and ask for an extension, but personally I'd send what you can by the original deadline and send copies of anything else later (or hold it back as 'new evidence' in case you need to go to MR/appeal).

PS. Looking at it again I don't think that the AR1/PIP.1043 has changed, and is still the June 2018 version.
    (It was the older 2016 version that had 3 tickboxes for each question).
    The PIP1 and PIP2 did change at the start of this year.
    Well for me, with the changes, I think they've more or less just changed the PIP.1043 into a PIP.1003 only with smaller text boxes, which is just giving themselves more work to do (in my case, at least).

Also, I could be wrong, but with the new double check box affair, it feels like they're trying to muddle in some of the "Planning and following Journeys" descriptor in with the "Moving Around" descriptor, which just feels a bit weird, and triggers my suspicious mind.

I'll attach a couple of scans of my PIP.1043 (I think I've blanked anything uniquely identifying from them), just to confirm it's a standard form.

Ah, so I can just send new stuff on to the postal handling site address? Good. I thought it might have been a strict cut-off. How long after I submit the form would you say I have to submit new evidence, and will they reliably accept it?

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother attaching the forms, it's usually ages before attachments get approved so anyone but yourself and moderators acn see them.

The (supposed to be) latest specimen forms can be downloaded from the PIP 'Toolkit' here:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-pers...nt-pip-toolkit
    If you look at the updates you can see when they changed the forms, and other changes.
    (The claim forms were changed last June, then again on 31st December).

You can send more evidence whenever you have it -if you want to send it, see below.
    I wouldn't send any after an assessment though just keep it in case it's needed for MR/appeal.

There is a reasonable point of view among some advisers that you should keep evidence back anyway if it hasn't gone with the main form.
    The reasoning being:
    1. The DWP could loose it if it's sent later. (Especially as it won't have anything with the barcode to link to your claim).
    2. They could just ignore it anyway, and if you then have to go to MR appeal they'll say they have already had it and considered it, but:
    3. If you send it as 'new' evidence if you need to for MR/appeal then its new and they can't (shouldn't) just ignore it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 20-06-21 at 10:42.