Thread: Carers Allowance - Should I apply?

Carers Allowance - Should I apply?

I am carer for my husband and our child who has autism and additional needs. Years ago when I asked about Carers Allowance, I was told not to apply as it would mess with my husbands benefits and housing benefit and we would be worse off! So I have never wanted to claim. Now i had been advised to as I am main carer for our son.
    We have now applied for UC ( 10 days until decision...longest 4 weeks ever! ) Should I apply for CA? I know that it will be decucted from UC, but does that also mean any backdated money wiill also be taken at same time? And will it affect anything else?

Applying for CA may have affected your partners benefits before UC.
    It depends on just what those benefits, and the premiums on those benefits were.

Things are different with UC and as you have already applied for UC it may not be worth claiming CA.

In UC there is a Carer Element and you don't need to claim Carers Allowance to get it, so it can be easier not to claim CA.
    (Although having CA does automatically entitle you to UC-CA, as you know the CA gets deducted anyway - so you would be claiming CA just to get it deducted from UC).

In UC all you have to do is tell/show them that you are caring for someone for 35 hours a week and you then qualify for the Carer Element (plus no jobseeking).

For a bit more info see the first 'element' on this page, also look at the 'Child Element' below it for the disabled child additions:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...iversal-Credit
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Applying for CA may have affected your partners benefits before UC.
    It depends on just what those benefits, and the premiums on those benefits were.

Things are different with UC and as you have already applied for UC it may not be worth claiming CA.

In UC there is a Carer Element and you don't need to claim Carers Allowance to get it, so it can be easier not to claim CA.
    (Although having CA does automatically entitle you to UC-CA, as you know the CA gets deducted anyway - so you would be claiming CA just to get it deducted from UC).

In UC all you have to do is tell/show them that you are caring for someone for 35 hours a week and you then qualify for the Carer Element (plus no jobseeking).

For a bit more info see the first 'element' on this page, also look at the 'Child Element' below it for the disabled child additions:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...iversal-Credit
    Thanks nukecad.
    So by applying for CA, will that mean the child addition will be lost? I cant see anywhere that says it will but I have also seen other places say that they will take off any premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggywoo View Post
    Thanks nukecad.
    So by applying for CA, will that mean the child addition will be lost? I cant see anywhere that says it will but I have also seen other places say that they will take off any premiums.
    I don't think so.

Having CA can affect premiums in Legacy benefits, the most obvious being that the Severe Disability Premium is not payable if someone is claiming CA for looking after you.

But Universal Credit doesn't have 'premiums' in the same way, it has 'elements' instead.

And I see no reason why with UC you couldn't claim both Disabled Child Element for your child (if they have their own child DLA/PIP award) and Carer Element for looking after your partner.

Presumably before you applied for UC your partner had ESA? If so the a LCW/LCWRA Element should also be payable.

Probably the easiest way to confirm that will be to put your circumstances into one of the benefit calculators which should then tell you how much UC you are entitled to and how it is made up. (I usually use the entitledto one).
    Note that it may not get the LCW/LCWRA Element quite right, the calculators are not really set up to do migrations from ESA, they are more for brand new claims.
    Also be aware that at the moment the result will include the UC covid uplift of £86.67 a month which is due to be removed in September.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

If you could tell us just what benefits (and premiums) all 3 of you were getting before applying for UC (and if you have other children, savings above £6,000, and are doing any work) then I could have a stab at it for you.

Overall though you don't have to claim CA if you are claiming UC.
    You can do if you want to, but any money you get for CA will simply be deducted £ for £ from UC.
    So in effect you will be claiming CA for no purpose.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.