Thread: Telephone assessment E S A

Telephone assessment E S A

Hello everyone,i just received a letter regarding my ESA,telling me they will be doing a telephone assessment between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm on the 17th of June This must be to do with the covid,i am not happy about this,and i am sure i will have my benefit stopped,i had face to face in the past and i had the assessments Audio recorded,i have zero confidence in these people to be fair,does anyone have experience of this phone assessments or any advice they could give me,thank you.

They have been doing telephone assessments for both WCA's and PIP assessments for a while now.
    They have also started doing some video assessments, as a trial for PIP first.

Other member here have already had telephone assessments, for PIP and WCAs, and there have been no indication of any worse outcomes than from previous F2F decisions.

You can still ask for a telephone assessment to be recorded, you have to ring them and ask in advance so they can set the recording equipment up.
    They will dual record it on CD, keep one copy themselves and send you the other.

And of course if you don't like the outcome you can still MR and/or appeal to the tribunal.

Face to Face assessments are currently being carried out only for those who can't do a telephone assessment (because of deafness, etc.).
    When this will change again is unknown, but telephone/video assessments will be here to stay the laws have been clarified to specifically refer to them.
    The law allowed them before anyway they were just very rarely, almost never, used.

I would expect that the majority of future assessments will be by phone/video with no need for you to go to their offices, nearly every assessment will then be a Home Assessment if you look at it that way.
    Although, once covid has become less of an issue, I do expect there will be some kind of option to insist on F2F if you want one.

There have of course been concerns, and the DWP (and welfare organisations) have been monitoring telephone assessment recommendations pretty carefully.
    The last thing that the DWP want now is accusations that they have used covid as an excuse to make assessments harder to pass.

In fact in the early days of PIP telephone assessments the DWP themselves noticed that the assessors were tending to give lower recommendations than would normaly be expected from a F2F - and so they overruled the assessors to give higher awards than they had recommended, and changed the telephone assessors guidance to get the recommendations back up to expected levels.

Of course all the welfare groups are monitoring outcomes from telephone assessments of both types, and looking for any changes to what would normally be expected from a F2F, either for better or for worse.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-06-21 at 12:02.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks very much,that was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by macatac View Post
    Hello everyone,i just received a letter regarding my ESA,telling me they will be doing a telephone assessment between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm on the 17th of June This must be to do with the covid,i am not happy about this,and i am sure i will have my benefit stopped,i had face to face in the past and i had the assessments Audio recorded,i have zero confidence in these people to be fair,does anyone have experience of this phone assessments or any advice they could give me,thank you.
    Hi everyone,just an update,i was contacted this morning just before 11:00am for my phone assessment,regarding this assessment i contacted them on the 11th and asked them to change the contact number to my landline and to have the assessment audio recorded.
    So long story short the lady had no knowledge of the audio recording,she said she was working from home,so she said another appointment date will have to be made.
    Just something to note,every medical assessment i have had that was not audio recorded,i have had my benefits stopped,and had to appeal,my first ever appeal was back in 2009,the CAB got me legal representation,the lawyer was disgusted by how many lies the assessor had written down on his report,he said with all the medical evidence that i had,i should not of had to go to appeal.
    On the day of my appeal, me and my lawyer were sitting in the waiting area just going over my case,when the clerk to the court came in and said i had been granted my appeal,so we didn't even enter the court room,my lawyer said that was the first time that had happened to him,this is the very reason why i don't have any trust in these people.
    Last edited by macatac; 17-06-21 at 11:39.