Thread: Pip back payments?

Pip back payments?

Hi all,

I have been reading this article https://www.express.co.uk/finance/pe...rrears-UK-2021 and I'm wondering if it applies to me.

The Article says "PIP CLAIMANTS could be set for significant back payments as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) continues to seek out those who could be eligible."

"Following a change in the law, many people could be eligible to receive backdated benefit support. Two decisions made after landmark tribunals mean the Government is now reassessing how much people are paid via PIP."

"The cases found the DWP has not awarded the correct amount of points to those who had mental health conditions, and who needed support in engaging face to face with others.

There may, as a result, be some instances where an award of PIP was miscalculated due to previous guidance.

Therefore, some individuals could be set for a back payment to provide them with the support to which they are entitled."

Citizens Advice has explained: “The DWP has written to some people who they think might benefit from the change.

“However, the DWP might not correctly identify everyone, so you should contact them yourself.”

Now, the site Benefits and Work has identified a list of conditions which the DWP say are most likely to receive a back payment.

These are:

Agoraphobia
    Alcohol misuse
    Anxiety and depressive disorders
    Autism
    Bipolar affective disorder
    Cognitive disorders
    Dementia
    Depressive disorder
    Drug misuse
    Learning disability
    Mood disorders
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    Panic disorder
    Personality disorder
    Phobias
    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    Psychotic disorders
    Schizoaffective disorder
    Schizophrenia
    Stress reaction disorder

A bit about my PIP awards etc-

If I recall correctly a few years ago I was getting both Daily Living Allowance and Mobility and the extra severe element of the payment.

When I had to go through the medical assessment process again last year to renew my claim I was only awarded Daily Living even though nothing had changed from my medical condition since I first started getting PIP years ago. If I recall I had the exact same info and conditions which I told them in my home assessment.

My conditions are Panic Disorder, Panic Attacks, Agoraphobia, Anxiety, PTSD.

If I recall, I told them that I can only walk so far before I have to turn around and bolt back into my house in a panic, basically, I can only be in my garden.

So basically what my question is - Is it worth my while phoning PIP as suggested in the above article? As I do suffer from Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia, Anxiety, PTSD, etc.

How should I ask the question as I'm scared I'll say the wrong thing?

Do I just say I read an article that suggests I phone you as I may be eligible for backdated payments?

I'm quite nervous, I hate phoning them.

I think I should have received Mobility and severe disability along with Daily Living like I had previously but instead, I only got Daily Living.

I'm sorry I tend to ramble a bit.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read my concern.

Help, please I'm scared to phone them without knowing what to ask or say.

Phone them.

If you don't ask you will never know and will always be wondering.

This ongiong excercise is know as the PIP 'LEAP' ( Legal Entitlements and Administrative Practices) review, there are already a few related threads on here.

Note that is NOT dependant on any condition but on the affects of a condition - that list is just an indication of those most likely to have been affected.

It is also only about PIP decisions made between certain dates: from when they changed the rules until the Court told them they had to change them back again.

(They may even have already looked at your case again; they are not telling people if they have found nothing to change because that would be unnecessary).

It's all a bit complicated, as most official error reviews can be, so if you want to be sure then give them a ring and ask them to look at your claim with regard to the LEAP.

(You shouldn't need to say more that that, they will know what the LEAP, they might ask you for when you had you last or previous PIP review).
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-06-21 at 08:22.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Phone them.

If you don't ask you will never know and will always be wondering.

This ongiong excercise is know as the PIP 'LEAP' ( Legal Entitlements and Administrative Practices) review, there are already a few related threads on here.

Note that is NOT dependant on any condition but on the affects of a condition - that list is just an indication of those most likely to have been affected.

It is also only about PIP decisions made between certain dates: from when they changed the rules until the Court told them they had to change them back again.

(They may even have already looked at your case again; they are not telling people if they have found nothing to change because that would be unnecessary).

It's all a bit complicated, as most official error reviews can be, so if you want to be sure then give them a ring and ask them to look at your claim with regard to the LEAP.

(You shouldn't need to say more that that, they will know what the LEAP, they might ask you for when you had you last or previous PIP review).
    Thanks, Nukecad, I saw a few threads about LEAP and never clicked on them because I didn't know that's what I was looking for. I'll take a look at the threads now.

Thankyou for reply.

You could try a google search as well, there is plenty of more detail about the LEAP on various disability websites.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.