Thread: Confused and upset re Housing Benefit cancellation

Angry Confused and upset re Housing Benefit cancellation

Hi all

I receive Tax Credits including severe Disability premium
    Also get Enhanced care of PIP and lower Motability
    Income very low

Housing benefit drastically reduced my benefit and noticed they had not taken into account this time the Server Disability Premium which I got confirmed by Tax Credits I was still receiving
    Then get a letter today stopping my HB benefit altogether stating there has "been a change to your household composition and your claims now falls within the Working age regulations" Eh? Nothing has changed
    They then state I should claim Universal Credit for Housing costs – I know this is going to change but such drastic and immediate stop?

Please can someone advise what this all means - my wife and I are both disabled and in our late 50's and have no children.

Thank you

That bit about "change to your houshold composition" sounds as if they think that one of you (the one who's name is on the HB claim) has reached State Pension Age and you have become what is known as a 'Mixed Age Couple' (MAC).

That would indeed mean that if the HB was in the older partners name it would stop, and the younger partner would then have to claim UC instead.
    Which is what they seem to be saying.

Has one of you just had, or shortly due to have a birthday? (The one who's name is on the HB claim).

It could be as simple as that they have the date of birth written down wrongly on the claim and so think the named claimant is ten years older than they actually are.

About all you can do is ring them on Monday and ask just what 'change' they think has happened.

PS. I'd not discuss the disability premium yet - just keep it simple and concentrate on getting the HB back in payment first.

Take it one step at a time so that you don't confuse things by trying to do two things at once.

As far as that goes, I believe that some councils count the Tax Credits DP as income and some don't, and some councils have been changing their rules, you would need to check if your councils rules have changed - but for now concentrate on why they think there has been a change to your household composition.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-06-21 at 08:18.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you so much for your answer - calmed me down a bit.
    I am 58 years old and my partner 55 - Neither of us are in Pension Age.
    I hope that they just got the age wrong is the reason - other than that our circumstances have not changed at all for a number of years.

TK2021

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That bit about "change to your houshold composition" sounds as if they think that one of you (the one who's name is on the HB claim) has reached State Pension Age and you have become what is known as a 'Mixed Age Couple' (MAC).

That would indeed mean that if the HB was in the older partners name it would stop, and the younger partner would then have to claim UC instead.
    Which is what they seem to be saying.

Has one of you just had, or shortly due to have a birthday? (The one who's name is on the HB claim).

It could be as simple as that they have the date of birth written down wrongly on the claim and so think the named claimant is ten years older than they actually are.

About all you can do is ring them on Monday and ask just what 'change' they think has happened.

PS. I'd not discuss the disability premium yet - just keep it simple and concentrate on getting the HB back in payment first.

Take it one step at a time so that you don't confuse things by trying to do two things at once.

As far as that goes, I believe that some councils count the Tax Credits DP as income and some don't, and some councils have been changing their rules, you would need to check if your councils rules have changed - but for now concentrate on why they think there has been a change to your household composition.

Hopefully that's all it is and they have the claimant's DOB wrong on their records because someone typed a 5 instead of a 6 for the decade.

As said the only way to be sure and find out what they think has changed is to ring them.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-06-21 at 09:53.

Hi Nukecad

Just to give update – they said it was an error and have sent a revised notice which I am still waiting for. Thank you for your help.

TK2021

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Hopefully that's all it is and they have the claimant's DOB wrong on their records because someone typed a 5 instead of a 6 for the decade.

As said the only way to be sure and find out what they think has changed is to ring them.

Good to hear that it was quickly sorted out with a phone call. (I'm still betting it was the wrong DOB on the file).