Thread: My freinds is in a mental health home

My freinds is in a mental health home

Can she claim her pip dla esa while in mental health unit she has declared this, but didn't ask for advice about this as she's severely disabled and I'm asking on her behalf,
    Now can she claim ESA uc while in her hospital she may be 4 weeks maybe 8 weeks, will she still get her payments and if she does will she have to pay it back?

It depends on how long she is there, or is expected to be there.

Basically up to 4 weeks in hospital should not affect any benefits payments, 8 weeks will.

DLA/PIP stops being paid after 28 days in hospital. (Payments restart again when you come out of hospital).

Contribution Based ESA continues to be paid, but after 52 weeks in hospital only the Personal Allowance is paid with no group component or premiums being paid.

Income Related ESA may go down after 28 days in hospital, and may go down again or stop after 52 weeks in hospital.

Both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Relief stop if you are going to be in hospital for more than 52 weeks in hospital.

UC Housing Element stops after 6 months in hospital, or if you are expected to be in hospital for more than 6 months.

See this for more information and/or other benefits: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...ts-in-hospital
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-06-21 at 13:30.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Can they get anything to live off while in there, as they like tobacco and going on days out?
    Or can esa or dla pip pay and they pay it back once out I did read something like that the hospital not NHS BTW.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy123 View Post
    Can they get anything to live off while in there, as they like tobacco and going on days out?
    Or can esa or dla pip pay and they pay it back once out I did read something like that the hospital not NHS BTW.
    Thank you

What I meant to say is will they get anything il pass the message on ASAP if not will have to get her family to arrange money for her so I can know in advance thank you

DLA/PIP is paid because you needto pay for extra because of your disability - If you are in hospital you don't have those extra costs and so payments will stop after 4 weeks and start again when you leave hospital again.

ESA will continue for more than 4 weeks as said.
    HB and CTR will continue for a year so you don't lose your house.

Are you sure this is a hospital?
    (Hospitals don't usually let patients go for 'days out' unless it's organised by the 'hospital'.

They will be providing food, heating/lighting, etc. so the ESA should be more than enough for other things.

PS. If it's a private facility not NHS then is it a care home rather than a hospital? And who is paying for it?
    Not everything that calls itself a hospital actualy is one.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    DLA/PIP is paid because you needto pay for extra because of your disability - If you are in hospital you don't have those extra costs and so payments will stop after 4 weeks and start again when you leave hospital again.

ESA will continue for more than 4 weeks as said.
    HB and CTR will continue for a year so you don't lose your house.

Are you sure this is a hospital?
    (Hospitals don't usually let patients go for 'days out' unless it's organised by the 'hospital'.

They will be providing food, heating/lighting, etc. so the ESA should be more than enough for other things.

PS. If it's a private facility not NHS then is it a care home rather than a hospital? And who is paying for it?
    Not everything that calls itself a hospital actualy is one.
    It is a private mental health hospital not by NHS,

Priory hospital, so a private mental health hospital....
    They was at nhs hospital but due to no beds they got moved to private thank you.

Ah, I see.

Not sure just how the DWP see that, but if it's being paid for by the NHS then I believe it should still class as being in hospital.

If it was being paid for privately then it might class as 'residential care/rehabilitation' instead.
    It's a subtle distinction but can make a difference for benefits.