Thread: Adult child living at home

Adult child living at home

Hi all. Couldn’t see where else I might ask this so I’m here!
    Does anyone here have an adult child on disability benefits who still lives at home? I’m my sons appointee as he cannot look after his own money and have always been so.
    We take housekeeping off him each month obviously as he has to eat! And as he simply lives at home as part of our family and we haven’t gone down the deputy ship route he contributes occasionally to larger things in the house that directly affect hi. He also buys his own clothes etc out of the rest of his money.
    As far as I know there is no guidance as to what we can expect him to spend his money on but does anyone know of any or have any opinions on this? Thanks.
    Last edited by Flakie; 28-05-21 at 19:03.

Could you say what benefits your son is claiming?
    And if those benefits have/are building up into becoming a large amount in the bank if they are not being spen each week/month?

You seem to have looked into the differences between the rights and responsibilites of the different types of apointee/guardian/etc. and if it's from the court or just the DWP- can you expand on that a bit
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.