Thread: PIP query - moving around, driving considerations?

PIP query - moving around, driving considerations?

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site and to this whole process so everything is a little confusing. So a brief rundown of what happened - I had a catastrophic knee injury (full dislocation, 3 of 4 ligaments torn off) and the bone has stretched the peroneal nerve. This has left me with no dorsiflexion (up and down power) and my leg varies in numbness from knee to toe. I have had one knee operation, with the potential for another in a year resulting in 18-24 months rehab for the knee alone. My problem is arising from my nerve damage, my physio and consultant both think there’s a chance the nerve will never heal due to the severity of the injury and are giving it 24 months before deciding on whether to operate or not.

I have looked into pip/motability and started my application. My query is - in the questions on the form it asks about walking. Currently, I struggle to walk (albeit with crutches) and that will improve in time however I will always need an AFO foot brace. This means I can’t drive my car, and will need an adapted automatic for future driving. A lack of car will effect my work as I live 60 miles from the office, and as there is an on call aspect to my job meaning unsociable hours (12-6am) but there’s no questions in relation to driving so how will that effect my application. Will the assessor look at individual circumstances as well as the scoring system.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    J
    Last edited by Jam1985; 22-05-21 at 18:03.

PIP only takes account of ability to walk, driving isn't covered.

At my PIP assessment a few years ago I was asked if I drive or not, then asked if my car was a manual or automatic gearbox. How often I drove etc etc.
    Some assessors will try & use your ability to drive against you. Don't fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    At my PIP assessment a few years ago I was asked if I drive or not, then asked if my car was a manual or automatic gearbox. How often I drove etc etc.
    Some assessors will try & use your ability to drive against you. Don't fall for it.
    Same here, not sure if they have dropped that now, it was on my first claim for PIP. They went further and said because i use the car for shopping and my wife comes along (she don"t drive) that i was taxi"ing. In my appeal i asked if the guy next door with the "mobility car" is not allowed to drive it then.

He takes his wife shopping twice a week my assessor wrote in her report, but no mention of the fact that I stayed in the car due to walking difficulties. The assessor was cherry picking as per usual. The claimant walked nine paces to my office is another classic.

They like to use it because driving shows a few things that matter for various descriptors;
    Driving involves quite a few physical and mental activities.

Sight, obviously.
    Grip, to an extent.
    Manual dexterity, to an extent.
    Planning and following journeys.
    Reading and understanding information, road signs etc.
    And so on.

As we know though they do tend to overegg it.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.