Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 110

Thread: No £20 Uplift - Finally going to High Court

  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9
    Their first excuse when the UC uplift was announced was something like "It's too hard to uplift legacy benefits because it takes months", then added to it was "and the uplift is only temporary so.." - Implying it's not worth the hassle for legacy benefits as it's only temporary, then Sunak recently came up with excuse no.3 in an interview recently saying the uplift was for "workers" when only a third of UC claimants are in work.

    I worry though, remember a few years back when they lost a court case over some benefits issue, sanctions I think, and they simply changed the law retroactively to prevent paying money back owed to claimants, the Labour Party to its shame abstained (with honourable exceptions). Is there a chance they will try something like that again? They have a big majority and I don't see hordes of benefits friendly MPs on their backbenches.
    Last edited by mrindebt; 01-05-21 at 00:14.

  2. #12
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    If you say since 12th April 2020 to date that's 55 weeks x £20 so £1,100 at the moment.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    North Lincs
    Posts
    352
    We've been affected by this though IS rather than ESA so I would hope we'd be included if there's a ruling about matching legacy benefits with this UC uplift, though even if we weren't, I'd be overjoyed to see it awarded to those struggling on ESA who have been totally discriminated against. The cynic in me thinks only uplifting UC is a sneaky ploy to try and trick ESA claimants to move onto UC. The DWP know that for people struggling to exist on paltry ESA rates, an extra £20 a week would seem like a fortune so I bet they're hoping it gets people to apply for UC in the belief that many won't realise that any premiums they had may be lost, and knowing that by the time people do realise their mistake it's far too late and they're stuck with UC.

  4. #14
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    Any ruling would include all Income Related legacy benefits, it's just that there are more ESA claimants than the others so ESA is leading the way.

    They are not being sneaky about it being used as a bribe, they are doing it openly.

    Government ministers have been actively encouraging people to move to UC for the extra £20 - even though some would be worse off on UC if they did that, and most will be no better off but the same once/if they take away the uplift.

    PS. I've seen reports that they are planning another kind of 'encouragement' to get people to move to UC on their own instead of waiting for Managed Migration, unfortunately it's behind a login wall so I don't know exactly what they are thinking of doing.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-05-21 at 13:11.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If you say since 12th April 2020 to date that's 55 weeks x £20 so £1,100 at the moment.
    Yes I was thinking it's supposed to be for 18 months think it ends in September so just added up 18 months worth because if it's going to be heard in July no later than we will be getting almost the full whack in one go if it goes our way

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    lincoln
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    OrangeSkies,

    You are right that this will not affect awards that are only CB ESA, or CB JSA. (because of savings or income of a partner).

    Universal Credit is an Income Related benefit so any comparison is only about Income Related legacy benefits.

    But many people with CB ESA also have Income Related premiums (EDP/SDP/carer premium), and so they will also be included in any outcome.

    Bear in mind that the payments were also made to those working and claiming WTC also which is a comparable to those getting the payment whilst on UC.

    I myself was working and claiming WTC including the disability elements until illness forced me yo give up work and claim NS ESA.

  7. #17
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    10,085
    That was one of the (pathetic) excuses; that the uplift was only for the 'hard working who had suffered because of covid'.

    But they then shot themselves in the foot by giving it to everyone on UC whether they were 'hard working' or not; which means that they are guilty of discrimination against those on legacy benefits.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    lincoln
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That was one of the (pathetic) excuses; that the uplift was only for the 'hard working who had suffered because of covid'.

    But they then shot themselves in the foot by giving it to everyone on UC whether they were 'hard working' or not; which means that they are guilty of discrimination against those on legacy benefits.
    I totally agree.
    I'm assuming UC is paid to those who work or not.

    I myself worked from start of the pandemic as at the time I was classed as an essential worker (water company).

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That was one of the (pathetic) excuses; that the uplift was only for the 'hard working who had suffered because of covid'.

    But they then shot themselves in the foot by giving it to everyone on UC whether they were 'hard working' or not; which means that they are guilty of discrimination against those on legacy benefits.
    Mmm. Contributions-based ESA claimants could therefore appear to be more hard working than income-only ESA claimants. Probably best they just up everyone by £20 to make it fair.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    lincoln
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSkies View Post
    Mmm. Contributions-based ESA claimants could therefore appear to be more hard working than income-only ESA claimants. Probably best they just up everyone by £20 to make it fair.
    The uplift was given to all Tax credit claimants as well as UC as far as I recall.

Similar Threads

  1. MR waiting times being challenged in High Court.
    By nukecad in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-19, 00:56
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-19, 10:36
  3. PIP assessment soon following High Court ruling
    By flumu in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-01-18, 20:15
  4. Housing Benefit Challenge Dismissed by High Court
    By sea queen in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-07-13, 11:37
  5. Housing benefit changes legal test to begin at High Court
    By davewhit in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-05-13, 16:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •