Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: No 20 Uplift - Finally going to High Court

Quote Originally Posted by StueyR View Post
    The Department for Work and Pensions' appeal was unanimously allowed by the UK's highest court today without a hearing, as a CJEU ruling in July 'definitively' answered the case.1 Dec 2021

I hope Im mis reading - all this
    I would have though the fact there was a hearing in this case would suggest that wasn't this one

Any update would have been posted on the Doughty Street website.

Does anyone know why there is such a long wait for the judges decision?

Quote Originally Posted by gbhxu View Post
    Any update would have been posted on the Doughty Street website.

Does anyone know why there is such a long wait for the judges decision?
    The 17th was a date I had marked in my Callander, I think its been 6 weeks since case. Although 6 weeks was only a timeframe based on decision time of similar case from the past.

That's poor form old bean.

The above message being a reply to StueyR's original posting.

Even better it would be better if I read everything, not just the bits that look interesting

Is the judge self isolating?
    Taking ages this.

It's only been a couple if months, that is not at all unusual.

I know of a few judgements that have been 'stayed' for a year or more waiting on other cases/judgements.

"The wheels of justice grind slowly".
    or
    "Have paitence Grasshopper"
    Take your pick of quote.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Atleast the Daily Record haven't forgotten about us from yesterday -

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...-case-26103589

Also the recent victory of the "transitional protection" case could give us hope for a victory....

How on earth did we get to this??..A Government that continually fights tooth and nail to deny people benefits that they may be legally entitled to??....while,at the same time writing off billions of Covid loan fraud at the stroke of a pen,without even the hint of an investigaton.The cynical amongst us will say that the Govt did not want to investigate that particular fraud because,quite possibly, the companies where the monies ended up may have links to a certain Political party..When you throw into the mix that Benefit Sanctions are back and back in a big way,it really does make for a sorry state of affairs.One can be forgiven for thinking we are living in a Banana Republic.
    Last edited by jw68; 02-02-22 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by jw68 View Post
    How on earth did we get to this??..A Government that continually fights tooth and nail to deny people benefits that they may be legally entitled to??....while,at the same time writing off billions of Covid loan fraud at the stroke of a pen,without even the hint of an investigaton.The cynical amongst us will say that the Govt did not want to investigate that particular fraud because,quite possibly, the companies where the monies ended up may have links to a certain Political party..When you throw into the mix that Benefit Sanctions are back and back in a big way,it really does make for a sorry state of affairs.One can be forgiven for thinking we are living in a Banana Republic.
    We're not a republic, we don't grow bananas and the fruit we do grow lies rotting in fields unpicked. But I get your drift.

I've SOME sympathy over the Covid loans issue. if the choice was vet everyone correctly or get the cash to those who need it at the expense of scrutiny the latter course of action was the right one to take. Waiting for correct procedures would have been disastrous for individuals and businesses both small and large. But that's not to say there shouldn't be at least some attempt to recover some of the cash lost to fraud. Unfortunately fraudsters tend to be good at what they do and most will have covered their tracks long ago.

The £20 uplift is a different issue entirely. The only reason it wasn't given to those in legacy benefits is the government's own incompetence. If they'd stuck to their timetable or anything remotely like it then hundreds of thousands if not millions would already have been on UC.

This is their real defence. "These people are not eligible for the uplift as they're not on UC. It's our fault they weren't. if we'd been more competent they'd have got the money. But we're not competent so they didn't get it. Tough Luck"