Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Nope just typed as normal, they ask for capitals because handwriting can be unreadable
    (Mine is to most people).

First time I stapled in two halves and then stappled some of the middle sheets together, bit fiddly.

Since then I've punched them and used file clips or legal clips, cheap enough and better than staples for lots of pages.

Not been round to the flat, couldn't do anything but look through the windows anyway.
    Instead of making a new thread thought I'd just reply to this.. Regarding telephone assessments can you refuse to do it?? I feel the reasons I'm in the Support Group are MH based, yes I do have some physical issues but mainly MH... Ever assessment I've ever had has been at my home aka home assessment, I've always provided a letter from my GP stating why I'd need a home visit... But with COVID19 I'm unsure how a telephone call can benefit anyone who has MH issues... I'd prefer to be seen so they can understand what problems and issues I face. Obviously haven't been called yet to submit an ESA50 but I will put in my home visit letter among other evidence and see what the outcome is but surely I can firmly request a home visit over a telephone call?

No you cannot refuse a telephone WCA without 'Good Reason'. Just like you can't refuse a f2f without good reason.

You can reschedule twice if they give you an appointment time when you would not be able to answer their call.

Frank Zola recently did an FoI about this and got a reply: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Quotes from the reply:
    Claimant Groups who are not suitable for a telephone consultation

Through experience of Telephone Assessments and the quality assurance processes in
    place, it has been determined by the DWP that the majority of claimants can have a
    Telephone Assessment conducted.

During the Filework Process, the Healthcare Professional (HCP) will screen out cases
    who meet the below criteria.

• Claimants without a phone
    • Claimants requiring BSL Interpreters
    • Claimants with hearing difficulties unable to use a phone
    • Claimants with speech difficulties

This list is not exhaustive and HCPs must use their clinical judgement based upon
    information held, as to the appropriateness of a telephone consultation.

HCPs should have a low threshold for discussion with colleagues. This may be of
    particular importance in those with impaired insight.”
    That last line could/should cover MH issues.

From 2 November 2020 attending and participating in a telephone assessment became
    mandatory in cases where a healthcare professional (HCP) has decided a telephone
    assessment is appropriate. If they are unable to attend, claimants have two opportunities to
    reschedule their appointment in advance of their scheduled date.

If a claimant fails to attend a telephone assessment, the case will be returned for a benefit
    decision to be made by a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decision maker. If this
    happens, the decision maker will ask the claimant to give the reasons why they failed to
    attend. If the claimant provides good reason(s), they will be referred back to the HCP for
    another assessment. If the decision maker decides the claimant did not have good reason(s),
    they may decide the claimant is capable of work. Each case is considered individually based
    on the information available, including any information provided by the claimant.
    It could be debated/argued that a telephone assessment is an assessment carried out in your own home, just not f2f.

The home visits were for those who can't make it to an assessment centre, which is not a problem if it's done by telephone.

Doing it by telephone brings a different set of problems, but not necessarily ones requiring a home visit.

Your argument there would be that you don't feel a telephone WCA is thorough enough.
    But that's an argument that could also be made by anyone who would not normally qualify for a home visit - so that basic argument doesn't involve the question of 'home visits' or not at all.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-05-21 at 11:35.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

No you cannot refuse a telephone WCA without 'Good Reason'. Just like you can't refuse a f2f without good reason.

You can reschedule twice if they give you an appointment time when you would not be able to answer their call.

Frank Zola recently did an FoI about this and got a reply: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Quotes from the reply:
    That last line could/should cover MH issues.

It could be debated/argued that a telephone assessment is an assessment carried out in your own home, just not f2f.

The home visits were for those who can't make it to an assessment centre, which is not a problem if it's done by telephone.

Doing it by telephone brings a different set of problems, but not necessarily ones requiring a home visit.

Your argument there would be that you don't feel a telephone WCA is thorough enough.
    But that's an argument that could also be made by anyone who would not normally qualify for a home visit - so that basic argument doesn't involve the question of 'home visits' or not at all.
    I just get that worrying feeling a telephone assessment will more than likely end up in a "fit for work" decision than a group outcome. Only positive is probably all the telephone assessments are recorded so that's good for people who have had inconsistencies in the past with assessor's more or less lying about certain questions.

They are not all recorded, you still have to ask for it before they ring you.

They are all supposed to have recording equipment now, and will send you a CD of the recording IF you've asked before the assessment.

From the DWP's reply in that link above:
    Claimants have the right to request a recording of their WCA. Dual recording is required as
    both the claimant and the HCP need an exact copy recording of the assessment. To aid the
    recording of WCA assessments each assessment centre has a dual recording machine.
    These machines will provide two separate unencrypted compact disc (CD) copies of the
    assessment recording simultaneously. The Health Assessment Advisory Service (HAAS) is
    responsible for coordinating the provision of the dual recording equipment. The healthcare
    provider for WCA, CHDA implemented an opt in system of audio recording from the
    beginning of November 2020.

Following the assessment, the claimants copy of the recording is sent to them via Royal Mail
    recorded delivery to ensure the CD is signed for and this is generally done on the day of the
    assessment.

A claimant can request that their telephone assessment be recorded by contacting the CHDA
    appointments helpdesk on 0800 2888 777 in advance of their assessment or they can
    forward their request by email to: customer-relations@chdauk.co.uk.

They are not all recorded, you still have to ask for it before they ring you.

They are all supposed to have recording equipment now, and will send you a CD of the recording IF you've asked before the assessment.

From the DWP's reply in that link above:
    100% going to ask for it to be recorded if I need to have a telephone assessment, can it be used in the MR if needed or just appeal stage?

Also my current ESA50 I have filled in on computer(new issue) was typed up during an appointment with CAB, obviously I filled it in but they gave some input regarding questions do I need to mention this on the form that they helped/supported me?

There is nothing on the form that asks if you had help; only if someone has filled it in and submitted it for you.

Anyone could advise you what words to use, up to you if you use them or not and nothing to do with anyone else.

Didn't want to start a new thread would you put something in writing with the ESA50 asking for assessment to be recorded @nukecad or phone the assessment provider to request one?

You have to phone them to request recording, see this: https://www.chdauk.co.uk/faq/finding...ded-assessment

(They used to say that you should wait for an appointment and phone after you got a letter with an appointment date - but they seem to have droped that now, probably because the majority of WCAs will now be by telephone).
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-06-21 at 06:57.

You have to phone them to request recording, see this: https://www.chdauk.co.uk/faq/finding...ded-assessment

(They used to say that you should wait for an appointment and phone after you got a letter with an appointment date - but they seem to have droped that now, probably because the majority of WCAs will now be by telephone).
    Thanks Nukecad will do that, haven't been issued an ESA50 yet probably will see one through the post seeing as my re-assessment is due for August... Normally my assessments are done as home visits I seriously worry regarding an accurate report if the WCA is done over the phone I'll just have to hope all the evidence I've gathered will make it easy for them to do a paper based report

You are not the only one concerned about the thoroughness/acuracy of telephone WCAs (and telephone PIP assessments).

However the welfare organisations are watching closely and there have not been any horror stories yet.
    (A few new meaningless 'stock' statement from the assessors, but no worrying trends in awards).

In fact when telephone PIP assessments were new the DWP themselves were checking them and noticed that the telephone assessors were tending to give lower recommendations than they would normally expect from F2F's.
    So they told the Decision Makers to compensate for that, so no-one lost out, and they changed the telephone assessors guidance to get the recommendation levels back up.

I've no doubt they are doing the same for telephone WCAs.

The last thing the DWP want is being accused of using covid as an excuse to bring in telephone assessments simply to give lower awards; so they are being very careful that doesn't happen.