Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP renewal advice please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PIP renewal advice please

Hi,

I'm looking for advice please

DH has been on PIP standard daily living for about 8 years now and we've just received the latest renewal after having it
    extended because of CV for a year.

a couple of questions i have are:

- the renewal form is due back by mid June, do i send it back asap (while F2F aren't back yet) or wait until nearer the
    time (does this extend the end date by a couple of months)?
    - The CV pandemic has made his mental health worse as our children getting illnesses was a trigger for him and so he is
    constantly worried now. hasn't been out for well over a year (apart from occasional walk). Am i best off putting
    'no change' or adding in the extra anxieties? (wondering which will is more likely to not have to go through a F2F)?

Thank you in advance for your advice

The form i have been sent is a 24 page one. numbers at the bottom are 000786/000030/000050 if this helps at all?

I'm not sure which form that is from those numbers.
    (or the fact that it's 24 pages. Is it a large print version?).

However that doesn't realy matter.

Fill it in and send it back as soon as you are able to.
    Delaying won't change anything other than how long you have to wait for an assessment and decision.
    It certainly won't change the current (extended) award end date.

If something has changed with his anxiety levels, or anything else that may be relevant, then tell them about it.
    Putting 'no change' doesn't necessarily mean that he won't have an assessment.

They are doing assessments by telephone at the moment due to covid.
    They have recently started doing a very few F2Fs again, for those who are unable to use a telephone. (Deafness etc.).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Personally I would never send it back ASAP, I would always leave it until the end of the deadline. Reason being that it will buy you an extra month (and in current circumstances 3 months). Over the years this adds up and will see you undergo fewer assessments than you would have done if you did it all straight away, every time.

I see your thinking, as a new award means a new end date. (So anytime left to the current end date becomes irrelevant).

However in the current covid situation we have already seen both ESA and PIP awards run out before an assessment/decision has been made.
    (It's been a particular problem with a 'New Style' ESA claim that reaches the 365 day limit before assessment/decision).

That was the reason for PIP award extensions, but that hasn't worked for everyone, and I expect to see even some extended PIP awards start to run out before they can be reassessed.

As things stand currently you are probably getting it done asap to avoid that possibility.

I've never been in that situation where an entitlement runs out before an assessment. What happens in that situation? I thought it would just roll on month to month until a new decision. Are you saying that payments would just end in this scenario?

With PIP yes, payments will simply end on the award end date.

That's why they normally reassess well before the award end date, and that's always been the case even before covid.

Once the payments stop you won't be entitled to PIP until a new award is made.

We have seen this happen more often recently where PIP awards run out and stop paying before they can be reassessed, it's a particular problem with PIP awards that were made at tribunal and so didn't get a covid extension.

ESA when you are in a group and UC-LCW/LCWRA are different.
    They don't have a set end date, all ESA/UC-LCW/LCWRA awards are 'ongoing' so just remain paying as they are until a new decision can be/is made.
    (Which is why there was no need to extend those awards for covid).

However new claims for New Style ESA where you are yet to be assessed and put into a group runs out after 365 days, and payments stop unless you are later put into Support Group.
    We've seen at least two of those on this forum where NS ESA 'assessment rate' payments have stopped because they couldn't be assessed during covid.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    With PIP yes, payments will simply end on the award end date.

That's why they normally reassess well before the award end date, and that's always been the case even before covid.

Once the payments stop you won't be entitled to PIP until a new award is made.

We have seen this happen more often recently where PIP awards run out and stop paying before they can be reassessed, it's a particular problem with PIP awards that were made at tribunal and so didn't get a covid extension.

ESA when you are in a group and UC-LCW/LCWRA are different.
    They don't have a set end date, all ESA/UC-LCW/LCWRA awards are 'ongoing' so just remain paying as they are until a new decision can be/is made.
    (Which is why there was no need to extend those awards for covid).

However new claims for New Style ESA where you are yet to be assessed and put into a group runs out after 365 days, and payments stop unless you are later put into Support Group.
    We've seen at least two of those on this forum where NS ESA 'assessment rate' payments have stopped because they couldn't be assessed during covid.
    That's food for thought, will keep this in mind for my future decisions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grrrrrowl View Post
    That's food for thought, will keep this in mind for my future decisions. Thanks
    I've just been reminded of this rightsnet thread as there is a new post on it today:
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/16987/

It's mainly about why the DWP keep insisting that they can't change (extend) an award that has been made by tribunal, but it shows the point that awards (and so payments) are stopping because they are not being assessed before the old award runs out.

PS. Unless they (the government) change something then you don't get the new award backpaid to when the old award stopped either.

The old award stops on it's end date (or when a new award is made if earlier). - The new award starts on the date it is made. - End of story as things stand and there is nothing to cover any gap.
    That's another reason why they have always done PIP reviews/renewals well before the end date, to avoid that gap situation happening in 'normal' times. (It still did happen occasionally, but nothing like how often it is now).
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-04-21 at 14:28.

Thank you. i thought it was odd that i didn't have the same numbers on my form as i've read other people have on here.
    its not large print.
    at the top it says Personal Independence Payment Award Review
    How your disability affects you.

I was advised on another forum to fill it out as if it were a new assessment, ie don't just put no change (although there isn't actually a no change box) - fill in each box like i did originally. do you recommend doing this?

Thank you again