Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contribution to personal pension

Just to clarify something here:

In April you said:
    I have no outstanding debt etc.
    But now you say:
    The debt will be paid off on 1 June
    You also mentioned 'Debt Management' before, but I had assumed you were just using the wrong term for the ESA backpayment that you'll get if found in Support Group.

Are you actually paying off a debt to the DWP that is currently being deducted from your ESA?

Next:
    When did you first claim NS ESA?
    Was it in June 2020?

To your latest questions:

As you have savings of over £16K then you can't claim UC - so talking about when to claim UC is irrelevant.

If your savings go below £16K and you claim UC then any money you get for ESA will be deducted £ for £ from UC anyway.
    So even then it's not worth claiming UC unless the ESA stops altogether (after a year).

You should just stay with ESA and hope to get an assessment and group decision done before it runs out.
    If your ESA does run out and you then claim UC (having 'reasonably' savings under £16K) you should not expect to get much UC at all, your savings will still be high enough to greatly reduce your UC payments.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Just to clarify something here:

In April you said:
    But now you say:

You also mentioned 'Debt Management' before, but I had assumed you were just using the wrong term for the ESA backpayment that you'll get if found in Support Group.

Are you actually paying off a debt to the DWP that is currently being deducted from your ESA?

Next:
    When did you first claim NS ESA?
    Was it in June 2020?

To your latest questions:

As you have savings of over £16K then you can't claim UC - so talking about when to claim UC is irrelevant.

If your savings go below £16K and you claim UC then any money you get for ESA will be deducted £ for £ from UC anyway.
    So even then it's not worth claiming UC unless the ESA stops altogether (after a year).

You should just stay with ESA and hope to get an assessment and group decision done before it runs out.
    If your ESA does run out and you then claim UC (having 'reasonably' savings under £16K) you should not expect to get much UC at all, your savings will still be high enough to greatly reduce your UC payments.
    Sorry for confusion I am finding this all bit overwhelming too and I am not looking forward to it and as you say I would much rather stay on ESA but seems I am going to be another victim on here where ESA expired and not get anything till assessed as they've confirmed this will happen so come 18 June will be my last assessment rate of ESA. I can see from what you are saying, and they know it's not worth my while switching, and so forth, as even with the uplift ending 4 pence on top is not worth going to UC. I really hope some assessment soon but given the backlogs, hopefully get payments on ESA back in SG back by end of July etc given my paydates are on Fridays July is a long month so I get 3 in July. I haven't been looking forward to UC and am very scared, I guess I do not like change too, so am really hoping this is done soon but feel a bit forced, given the circumstances, I know it's nobodys fault with Covid etc.

I first began this on 19 June 2020 first fit note was dated 20 June 2020 so this all begain then and my final asessment rate on ESA will now be 18 June 2021 nothing beyond then till decision made.

I am sorry for confusion with "Debt Management" I was referring to my arrears on Support Group.

The debt of my own paid off on 1 June would be for the clothes I purchased.
    Last edited by anonymous; 16-05-21 at 09:04. Reason: correct uplift amount

Unfortunately you are not the first we have seen here whos ESA is running out after 12 months with no assessment.
    And I expect you won't be the last that we see either.

Hopefully they will get their fingers out before it ends, but if not then their stance is that you have sufficent savings to live on for now or you would already be claiming UC.

It's the savings that are making things a bit awkward here.
    If you had less than £6K you could just claim UC and get the full Standard Allowance until the assessment is sorted out.
    (TBH it would be the same problem if 'Old Style' Income Related ESA were still possible - too much in savings).

If you do get your savings down and make a UC claim then here's an example of what you could expect:

If you claimed UC you would only get the Standard Allowance, no LCWRA element (not assessed yet), no housing element because you live with parents.

I'm not sure of your age but the UC Standard Allowances (including covid uplift) are:
    Under 25- £342.72
    Over 25 - £409.89

So say you had £14,999 in savings/capital then there would be a deduction of £4.35 for each £250, or part of £250 over £6,000.
    In other words 36 x £4.35 = £156.60 would be deducted from the Standard Allowance because of savings.

Which would leave:
    Under 25- £186.12 a month.
    Over 25 - £253.29 a month.

Then if/when the covid uplift ends in September it would go down by another £86.67 a month.
    If you are under 25 then that would leave only £99.45 a month UC payable.
    So it's something but not a lot.

If you then get assessed into Support Group/LCWRA the the money you then get for ESA, combined with your savings level, would wipe out the UC again.

PS. UC isn't the monster-to-be-avoided that it used to be, things have changed for the better.
    (Myself I have this week been seriously considering putting a UC claim in even though I don't have to, mainly to get the 2week benefits overlap I could as well as a UC advance.
    However I've decided it's better for me to apply for a Budgeting Loan on ESA instead and save the UC 'goodies' till later).

Finally on 8 June 2021 got my letter for WCA on 17 June will be in touch how it goes, but thank you for your time.

All done 17/8/21; will advise outcome.

I had to wait hour to be seen as she was with another patient and the assessment was an hour.

I didn't even hear assessor without the hearing aids in call my name from the end of the waiting room. We will see how it pans out.

I said not liking change and had to go out of a performance of a show because I got upset with the gunfire.

I said I turn wrong way sometimes get left/right muddled up.

I said not being able to hear parents from certain distance and coming in interrupting their conversations.

I said bullied at school failing maths and not liking change with different teacher all the time.

Screamed when had to do physical exam on my back when in pain. I said I have to lie down to stop the pins and needs and they can last 20-30 minutes before they go away but hard to predict and also embarrasing.

I think jackpots struck not hearing her at all without the hearing aids in.

I made notes before went and she could see I was nervous I think; and had to ask her to repeat a few things.

Least all done just hope this works out for the better. Thank you Nukecad for your input to go to through this process and will appeal if I have to.
    Last edited by anonymous; 19-06-21 at 13:28.

Hi

I had confirmation they will still be paying me till a decision is made.

I am paid on a Friday for my ESA so evedently I will get three ESA's in July - I realise that in event of a decision is made this will carry on if in the Support Group.

Let's say for example for a 40 year old my capital is £15,750 after 2/7/2021 payment went in and I only get one ESA payment then Universal Credit if ESA did stop I wondered how you please would take best option to calculate the Universal Credit with just one weekly ESA payment would it be best to half my estimated income from UC that month?.

I do realise if all three payments of ESA came in July there would be no UC at all BUT if only ESA were to go in am struggling to calculate it on basic rate of 74.70

Thanks
    Last edited by anonymous; 29-06-21 at 11:31.

If your ESA stops after 365 day and you then claim UC there is no overlap to consider.

Your ESA will stop on that date and will be paid up to that date, you claim UC the same day so your UC month starts on that date and will be paid from that date.

UC will be paid at whatever rate it is after your savings have been taken into consideration.

Note that if you do get ESA Support Group then any UC you have been paid will become an overpayment and they will want it back.
    That shouldn't be a problem because you will have just got a backpayment of ESA SG component for almost a year.

PS. Don't add your ESA payments to your capital (unless you don't spend it within a fortnight) - that is money to live on not capital.
    Eg. Say you have £15,000 savings and you then get a fortnights ESA money put into the same account, the account balance temporarily goes up and then back down again as you spend the ESA to live on, but it's still only £15,000 that is counted savings

So now as of 1/7/21 been advised been with Deicision Makers so guess a step forward.

I only got £10.68 from ESA as expected last day payment till a decision is made.

I got my statement on 17/6 it is projecting just £209 from UC

Am unsure this is correct or just need a yes or a no if would revert to £231 on 23/7 if not sorted by then as I have seen it is saying the £10.68 deducted as expect but also saying £21.25 difference at £31.93 from ESA not £10.68 which is all had from ESA this month. If you take off another £10.68 from that it equates to Support Group elements for two days but am not wanting to jump gun till I get official letter saying if in Support Group.

I realise it works in realtime and they know how much my capital was and had expected £231 from UC but if not sorted by 23/7 do you think it will adjust automatically to £231 from UC direct.

Least something for now till things sorted but least with decision makers and moving forward slowly.

The dates you are posting seem to be in a muddle again.

When exactly did your ESA end, what date? (Not when you got the last paynment, what date did the claim stop).
    Then what date did you get that last payment of £10.68?

When exactly did you claim UC? What date from?

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    The dates you are posting seem to be in a muddle again.

When exactly did your ESA end, what date? (Not when you got the last paynment, what date did the claim stop).
    Then what date did you get that last payment of £10.68?

When exactly did you claim UC? What date from?
    Thanks for your reply; yes not helping is it being in middle; I did make them aware of only getting £10.68 then sounds like somebody hasn't adjusted UC to me.

I got last payment of £10.68 on 2 July 2021; I am normally paid Fridays by ESA. ESA has potentially ended on 19 June 2021 as it began on 20 June 2020.

Assessment periods are : 17 May to 16 June 2021 and 17 June to 16 July 2021