Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UC change of circumstances

Oh that’s brilliant news , I’m not sure how old you are but I think a while back you posted that you were over 50 so it’s about bloody time you got social housing . I’m not that far off 50 and would love a council flat ( more stability/ security etc) but in London it’s really damn difficult bordering on impossible . There just comes a time when sharing a place isn’t an option , ok when you’re in 20s/30s but after that it becomes difficult. I calculated the other day that when I was working ( stopped 4 years ago due to MH ) I’d paid £100,000 in rent in private sector . Shocking !
    I went to see the flat yesterday and loved it , not massive but self contained and certainly big enough for me .
    I’m still really worried about the cost , it’s my LHA maximum allowance £1280 . Can’t find anything below that here .
    Good luck with your social housing place .

I have no worries about affordability because I'm going from Private to Social so all the rent will be covered, and full council tax is this area.

I currently have a very large private rental property to myself (for £60 a week rent for 1 room), well not quite now because one of the previous tenants in this HMO is now coming back for 2 days a week after lockdown restrictions have been lifted where he works. The other previous tenant has retired during the lockdowns and will not be coming back.

My bigest problem at the moment is getting a reference from my current landlord.
    I'm not bothered what kind of refrence it is, good or bad, but he has once put a spoke in the wheels of me getting a social rental before by claiming I had rent arrears when I didn't.
    (He seems to have a strange idea that if you get a 'council house' the council will pay off any private rent arrears without asking any questions).
    I'm prepared for him this time, but still have to be careful.

It's complicated, if I move out he has a three bed property he could rent to a family for more rent (forget the other 2-day guy for now that won't be an issue); but it would cost him quite a bit of money to get it up to a legal standard for a new rental which I'm willing to overlook. (For now).

Talking to the lass from the housing association today she seems to be on my side and gave some advice on their procedures which was helpful.

PS. I'm 61 now, nearly died 4 years ago (no heartbeat for 20 mins) but thanks to a good paramedic still here, and intend to keep going as long as I can.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

At 61 you absolutely deserve a council place , this landlord seems really bitter to begrudge you that . Hope you get it nukecad. My current place is falling apart too, but it’s been so cheap, if he modernised it and fixed the leaks etc he’d probably be able to get double what I pay now. Let’s hope it works out for both of us .
    Just checked a UC payment letter and my monthly period is from 13th of month to 12th of next month ( which is 7 days before my payment on the 19th of month . ) I had no idea until you mentioned that monthly period is 7 days before your payment is paid , so thanks for that !
    So basically I need to tell them before the 12 th for the next payment ( 19th - a week later ) to include new rent amount ? Am I correct in this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pau View Post
    So basically I need to tell them before the 12 th for the next payment ( 19th - a week later ) to include new rent amount ? Am I correct in this ?
    Provided that the new tenancy starts on or before the 12th then that's how it works.
    I'm not sure if the 12th may be a bit late to meet payment on the 19th though unless you can show the Tenancy Agreement and proof of new rent quickly.

The 7 days are meant to take account of any calculations like that, but if they haven't got the proof they need then you may not actually get the increase until the next payment.
    If that does happen the increase should still be backdated to the start of the assessment month in which it was notified.

Oddly enough the easiest place I could find it being stated for UC Housing Element is in a Housing Benefit Circular: HB A2/2018
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...gulations-2018

Change of Circumstances.

12. Change of circumstances are applied in UC under a ‘whole month’ approach.
    Under a whole month model, the UC award is calculated to reflect the claimant’s
    circumstances at the end of their assessment period. To do this, all changes are
    applied from the beginning of the assessment month in which they take place (if
    reported in the assessment period within which they occurred). The award for
    that month is therefore wholly at the new rate, net of all changes in the period.
    PS. If you notify on the 12th and it isn't included on the 19th you can ask for a "Change of Circumstances" advance of UC.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-advances
    You can apply for a Universal Credit advance:

• before you get your first payment
    • if you are already being paid Universal Credit and have told us of a change in your circumstances that means you will be paid more Universal Credit but have not yet been paid the increased amount
    A Change of Circumstances advance is recovered from your UC over 6 months.

(That's another thing I'll have to decide if I do get my flat, do I stay on ESA and HB which I could do, or do I change over to UC while everything else is changing?)
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-04-21 at 06:48.

Thanks nukecad , if all ok I’ll probably sign new tenancy agreement next week and notify DWP right after so they’ll have plenty of time to adjust it all for my new payment on 19th May, hopefully that’s enough time for them to sort it ?
    If you move soon and transfer to UC at least you have a good few months of the UC uplift to enjoy . I hear it’s ending on Oct 6th.

I wouldn't take any bets on that covid uplift ending at all.

There will be an outcry when/if they do try to end it, just like there was that made them extend it for 6 months.

They are also trying to use it as an incentive (bribe) to get people to change over before they have to Manage Migrate them. (Managed Migration is still not happening and still in a mess).
    It's odd because I think the rules (may be even law?) still says that you can only Naturally Migrate to UC if you have a change of circumstances, or when Managed Migration finally happens.
    But the government have been saying that if you don't like not having an uplift in legacy then claim UC instead.
    So the government are telling you to break the rules/law. (Although let's face they do it themselves all the time and, usually, get away with it).

Anyway all ID, letters, etc. scanned and sent to the Housing Association today - except for the Landlords reference as expected he's being a PITA again.
    I've had strong words with him about making accusations which I can prove are false, and have already prepared the HA that he may probably tell lies. (and got my proof in first).
    I would expect that it's not too unusual for them, they must see their fair share of tenants coming from unpleasant or simply miserly private landlords.
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-04-21 at 14:37.

The extra 20pw has been massively helpful , and let’s hope it’s not stopped .
    Yes, it’s almost like a bribe for people on legacy benefits, it is unfair that it was only UC claimants that benefit from it, if I was on ESA I’d be really pissed off too .

What’s with this landlord ? Unbelievable that he’s acting like this, hopefully the HA will listen to you over him and you’ll be housed soon , keep us updated .

Nukecad, fingers crossed you get that flat. It would be lovely for you to get somewhere that is totally your own space.

TBH I've been slightly better off during lockdown, even without the uplift - probably cos the pub was shut.
    (Benefit scroungers spend all their money on beer - did you not know that).

Catching up now but it's getting chilly in this pub garden.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    tbh i've been slightly better off during lockdown, even without the uplift - probably cos the pub was shut.
    (benefit scroungers spend all their money on beer - did you not know that).

Catching up now but it's getting chilly in this pub garden.

lol .......................