Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UC change of circumstances

UC change of circumstances

just a quick question pls if anyone can help . I might be moving to my new private flat on 10th May. Universal credit is normally paid into my account on 19th of every month . Will the payment on 19th May have the full months rent for new flat ( it’s triple what I pay now ) ? I’m not sure how it’s all worked out .
    I haven’t logged into my UC account in about 2 years , can I report change there and upload new tenancy agreement?
    Thanks

You inform UC of the change of address and the change applies to the start of that monthly period.
    Obviously they are going to want to see the new tenancy agreement.

Remember that in a private rental if the new rent is higher than your applicable LHA you'll only get LHA rate as UC-Housing Element and have to make up the rest yourself from elsewhere.
    If you are subject to the 'Benefit Cap' then that will also still apply.

Universal Credit is a monthly benefit.
    This means that if something changes during your monthly period, the change is understood to have taken place at the start of the period.

So your Housing Element for the whole of that month will be for the new Housing Element and not the old one.
    If you move from one rental to another then you'll have to sort out yourself what you need to pay each landlord.

Remember that your UC monthly period ends/starts 7 days before you get paid.

But there is a much bigger question here:

In your last thread you said that you were already above the 'Benefit Cap' and so were about £408 short of your current rent. https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...l=1#post174822
    I said back there:
    The benefit cap for a single person in Greater London is £15,410 a year, or £1,284.16 a month.

So you cannot get any more than £1,284.16 total a month in UC.
    Because of the benefit cap you are not going to get any more than £1,284.16 a month from UC. So how are you going to afford the new rent of triple what you pay now?
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-04-21 at 10:42.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks 4 getting back nukecad,

I did say in my previous thread that I’m LCWRA so I’m exempt from the cap, that thread was me worrying about moving to somewhere more beneficial to my MH ( I absolutely cannot share with people anymore) and as it would be a 1 bedroom or studio it would be much more coz like you my current landlord hasn’t put my rent up in over 10 years so it’s ridiculously cheap for London . It was me worrying that if I was reassessed and my LCWRA was stopped would I be affected by the cap whilst appealing the decision, if that was the case I would absolutely be in financial trouble . That’s just my fear of change.
    So as long as I notify them 7 days before my payment is due , the amount I should get for that payment would be the whole of my new rent ? Yes , of course I’d sent them / upload the new tenancy.

OK your last post was confusing because you had done that Entitledto calculation without including any LCWRA.

If you have LCWRA than the overall 'Benefit Cap' will not apply, because of that LCWRA.

However the LHA cap will still apply, as you are over 35 and single then in UC it will apply at the 1-bed rate for the area.
    Having LCWRA does not give you any exemption from LHA.

What is the Local Authority area where the new flat is?
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-04-21 at 11:50.

It’s Camden and I think the max is £295 pw.
    I understand anymore and I’d have to pay the rest out of my UC living allowance. I also think I’m exempt or at least get a big reduction in Council tax so that would help. Also I think the only bill I pay is electricity as the rest is included in new rent, not sure if they deduct utilities from UC if it’s part included in rent, they probably do .
    It’s a much more expensive place and if I get it , the cost worries me BUT if it’s benefits my MH whilst in therapy then that can’t be a bad thing.

Also I have a MH advocate calling me about applying for pip , was advised to apply 3 years ago but didn’t.

The reason I didn’t include LCWRA in entitled to was because I always look at the worst possible thing . All my calculations are based on LCWRA being taken away from me .

Yes, 1-bed rate LHA in Camden is £295.49 a week in HB.
    On a government issued spreadsheet I have it's classed as 'Inner London' and so is £1283.96 a month in UC.

So UC-HE will pay you a max of £1283.96 a month towards your private rent, as you say you will have to make up any more from elsewhere.

I believe that because of your LCWRA you should get full CTR and so no council tax to pay. But different councils can have different rules, especially in London, so you should check that.

Because it's a private rental then what is included in the rent doesn't matter at all, you get paid either LHA or full rent whichever one is the lower.
    They'll probably ask what is included even though it doesn't matter in a private rental, it's just what they always ask.

(They always ask because in Social Housing it does matter what is included, because some service charges can be included but not usually utilities).

I'm just worried about you being able to afford the rent at the new place, so:

One thing you can try is applying to the Council (not the DWP) for a 'Discretionary Housing Payment' towards the excess rent. (It may even pay all the excess).
    As the name says DHP's are 'discretionary' not a right, they are meant to be for temporary help with rent, so if you say you are going to claim PIP and want/need help until that extra PIP money comes then you may stand more chance of getting a DHP.
    As the old saying goes - If you don't ask you won't get - so it's always worth asking.
    Your MH advocate may be able to help you with that as well as with applying for PIP.
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-04-21 at 12:54.

That’s fantastic news nukecad , thank you .
    I really thought they would deduct what was included in the rent ( heating / water - hot water ) , so I only pay electricity and council tax ( hopefully I’m exempt ), I’m really happy to find out that if it’s included in the rent it’s ok so long as is doesn’t go over my LHA. . It would be really amazing just to have my own toilet and kitchen and not have to see anyone when I’m feeling low. The high rent does worry me massively coz I keep think ‘ what if everything goes wrong ‘ , but that’s why I’ve put up with so much for so long and need a bit of courage to change things.

I know what you mean.

I have just today got an email and phone call saying I'm at the "consideration/interview" stage for a Social Housing flat.
    Not quite an offer yet but looking promissing.

Not seen the flat yet apart from outside, but it's one I'd realy like to get, and only about 500 meters from my current private rental.

Fingers crossed for both of us.